Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2007, 02:19 PM   #1

Generators...small...quiet...lightweight

Looking around for a generator for the TT.

Must be quiet, as we sometimes camp back in the wilderness (the wife doesn't know yet!)
It'd be nice to have a light one, but not required. 120 lbs or less would be ok.

Mostly I'd like it to run a 13.5k AC unit with a little left over. Would a 2000 do it?

Also looking at Honda, Kipor and Yamaha. I'd like quality too, but budget is a concern, I don't have $2000 to spend on a gen.

Oh, yeah, gotta have a clean sine wave for the laptops and LCD panel.

Any recommendations? I've been looking hard at the EU2000i and the Kipor 3500ti.
WWTT29FKSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 10:43 PM   #2

Don't have any answers for you, as I'm new to most all of this, but have been contemplating if a generator will be needed for our outings.

It's a long read, but many lower cost alternatives are mentioned in this rv.net thread..
Old 01-22-2007, 01:01 AM   #3

I had a Honda EU 3000 about 2 trailers ago. It was the best portable I ever had. It ran my 15000 btu AC along with lights ect with ease. It might weigh a little more than 120 lbs though

2000 Volvo 660 D12 425 hp 1550 torque 15 speed, Trailer Saver air ride hitch. 2006 Canadian Sport 385 RLTS 40'10" triple slide, triple axle 5'er toybox, 300 watts solar, 3000 watt inverter, Onan 5500 Marques Platnum. 1998 Polaris 300 Explorer 4X4 quad, 2003 Polaris 700 Sportsman 4X4 quad, 1994 Jeep YJ "TOAD" 3" lift 31" ProComp Mud Terrain tires

https://community.webshots.com/user/Bears319

https://www.picturetrail.com/bears319

Mission Statement : ZZZZzzzzz
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 02:18 PM   #4

Easy choice, Yamaha EF2400iS

It's rare to find a 2000 Watt generator capable of starting a 13,500 BTU A/C unit. Just not enough surge capacity. Do a search in the Motorhome magazine forum, this topic has been talked about often. Honda 2KW owners say no go.

The Honda 2KW "can" run a roof top A/C unit if you bridge it with another 2KW. But you need an interface cable. You'll be over $2000 by the time you're done. The nice part each generator weighs about 50 lbs.

The next step is the Yamaha EF2400iS. It's designed to run a 13,500 BTU A/C unit. It's actually a tad quieter than the Honda 2KW. Weight is 70 lbs. Good grab handles. Price for me was $1147, then received $100 rebate through Yamaha.

The Honda 3 KW is almost double the weight of my Yahama. Now getting beyond what can safely be picked up by 1 person!

Kipor generators are slightly less money, but are Chinese knock-off generators. Good luck ever finding a service center or parts. You may save a couple hundred bucks up front, but you'll likely lose more in the long run. Think Harbor Freight (also Chinese knock-offs) tools are as good as name brand? If so, get a Kipor.

I've done some testing with my generator. Details and pics are here: http://www.2manytoyz.com/yamaha2400.html

And if later you run into a bucket of money and decide you need more power, the Yamaha can be bridged just like the Honda.
https://www.2manytoyz.com/
2manytoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 09:13 AM   #5

2manytoyz-

Sounds like you've got some camping generator experience.
Do you think a person could get by with one of the chinese imports?
I'm considering one of the champion gens, which seems to be getting good reviews in the rv.net thread mentioned above.
Or is this going to be a waste of time/money in the end?
Old 01-25-2007, 10:11 AM   #6

I'm sure a knock-off will work fine for a while. Maybe it'll last for many years. Problem is they are fairly new, and have no track record. From what I've read, Honda won't sell parts to their generators without the buyer coming up with a valid Honda serial number. They are trying to prevent geniune Honda parts being used on a clone, or so I have read.

While I bought my Yamaha online, there's a service center just a couple of miles from my house. Same goes for the Honda dealer. They are almost across the street from one another. "I" know I can parts for mine if ever needed.

Someone on another forum has had their Kipor generators die, and has been searching for parts. If it's anything like a Concertone stereo system, it's considered disposable, and no parts/service are available.

Generator #4 for me. I didn't want to have to buy this one twice, so I decided to spend the extra bucks and get a keeper. It not only serves as an alternate power source for my camper, but also emergency power in my home. I live in hurricane country, and I've already been through some bad storms. Power can be off here for weeks. If you've ever lost a refrigerator/freezer full of food, you'll know that can add up to quite a bit (well over $500, closer to $1K in my case). In 1995 I didn't have a generator when Hurricane Erin thumped us. I've had a different outlook since.

If you're only looking to use a generator occassionally, and don't need it for emergency power in a crisis, then you might want to consider a clone. Everyone has different needs, and I bought the Yamaha based on mine. YMMV!
https://www.2manytoyz.com/
2manytoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:37 AM   #7

Thanks for your insight!
Old 01-29-2007, 09:37 AM   #8

i just bought a champion c46540 4000 watt 3500 running watts will run a 13500 air and a 1500 cermic heater no trouble got mine at tractor supply
dieselmec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 10:38 PM   #9

dieselmec,

I think that's the one I've been looking at too, 'RV ready'.
For ~$300 (price in my area) I think I may gamble on one.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:11 AM   #10
squire

My buddy has a 2800 that does a great job at deer camp. I think it is a Yamaha but it could be a Honda. Been about 3 years since I actually saw it but just asked after deer season ( I don't hunt but know he likes to talk about deer camp) before Christmas and he said it was still doing fine. He spending a couple weeks down there in the summer fishing and that is then he uses the a/c.