Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2014, 02:02 AM   #1

Georgia Ad Valorem Tax

I bought a new travel trailer from a dealer in Georgia and I live in Georgia. I paid sales tax on the trailer when I bought it. Will I have to pay ad valorem tax on the trailer as well? I know I can call the tag office, but I'm trying to find out the info as soon as possible, in case a member knows.
cairopd1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:25 AM   #2

Yes you will I'm afraid. I hope you don't live in Spalding county, I get to bend over and grab my socks this November. $720 from what they told me, it almost broke the deal.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:43 AM   #3
Camper Less Camping

Yes...Get ready to hand over the cash, crazy tax but nothing to get around it ')

Old 06-16-2014, 12:13 PM   #4

Went to the tag office first thing this morning. I had to pay a total of $30, tag transfer fee and title fee. I will have to pay the ad valorem tax next year at renewal.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:23 PM   #5
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by cairopd1069 View Post
Went to the tag office first thing this morning. I had to pay a total of $30, tag transfer fee and title fee. I will have to pay the ad valorem tax next year at renewal.
Great...it'll give you time to save your pennies in the piggy bank

Old 06-16-2014, 12:26 PM   #6

When I purchased mine used back last October, all I had to pay was the tag fee. Since it did not have a motor, it did not qualify for the new "tax" in GA that is due when you go to get your tag. Travel Trailers are not affected by the new rule and you should just have to a tag fee each year. Now, if you purchased a motorhome......
Old 06-16-2014, 01:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbrew View Post
Now, if you purchased a motorhome......
But it's no longer "the gift that keeps on giving"!
with the new TAVT, it's one and done, and you do not pay sales tax on it when you buy it. just the TVAT. after that, it's annual tag fees and that's it. before, on a new motor vehicle, you paid county sales tax(once) and ad valorem (forever)

the idea of TVAT is that used vehicles are hot now rather than new, and there was no sales tax on used personal sales. now, the state gets a slice of each used sale. it actually works out in your favor when buying new, but not so much when buying used from a private seller.

I did not realize trailers and such were not covered under this.
Quote:
The following are examples of vehicles which do not
qualify as a “motor vehicle for which a title
is issued” and thus would not be subject to TAVT:
-Pull-behind trailers
-Pull-behind campers
-Mopeds
-Any motor vehicle for which a title is not issued,
such as:
1.Vehicles manufactured prior to 1963 (these vehicles are not eligible to receive a Georgia title)
2.1963-1985 model year vehicles that do not have a Georgia title (these vehicles may have a Georgia title but are not required to in all cases)
http://motor.etax.dor.ga.gov/motor/D...Guide_2013.pdf

Georgia Department of Revenue

State's we've RVed in
Bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce View Post
the idea of TVAT is that used vehicles are hot now rather than new, and there was no sales tax on used personal sales. now, the state gets a slice of each used sale. it actually works out in your favor when buying new, but not so much when buying used from a private seller.
You are correct. The State was missing out on all of that potential sales tax on private purchases, so they now collect the TAVT on a used vehicle when you go to get the tag. You can get a great deal on a used, private party sale, only to find that you owe about 6.75% of the value of the vehicle before you take possession of the tag. And it's all due at one time!

New sales, or used sales through a dealership collect the new TAVT in place of the sales tax. I just bought an F250 a few months ago, and although it was a pretty big up front hit, I only owe the tag fee year to year. If you are someone that likes to hang onto your vehicle for many years, you actually come out doing better than under the old system. Very good links and great information!
Old 06-16-2014, 02:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbrew View Post
You are correct. The State was missing out on all of that potential sales tax on private purchases, so they now collect the TAVT on a used vehicle when you go to get the tag. You can get a great deal on a used, private party sale, only to find that you owe about 6.75% of the value of the vehicle before you take possession of the tag. And it's all due at one time!

New sales, or used sales through a dealership collect the new TAVT in place of the sales tax. I just bought an F250 a few months ago, and although it was a pretty big up front hit, I only owe the tag fee year to year. If you are someone that likes to hang onto your vehicle for many years, you actually come out doing better than under the old system. Very good links and great information!
I purchased a new Explorer during that transitional period last year. I opted in to the TAVT program, but had already paid sales tax on my vehicle. The TAVT was lower than the Sales Tax. Cherokee County said "Thank You Very Much" and kept the overage.

State's we've RVed in
Bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:33 PM   #10

I bought a motorcycle in January 2012, before TAFT took effect but within the grace period. I opted in and will gladly pocket the $200 a year ad velorum. That difference convinced me that I could get the 5er. $700-$200=$500 I was paying $225 already so $500-$225=$275 increase in my overall tag fees. Meh, I'll take it I suppose.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 12:31 AM   #11

I went to the tag office and all I had to pay this year is $30. That was title fee, tag transfer and 2015 sticker. I will have to pay ad valorem next year.