Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2016, 01:53 PM   #1

German shepherd dog

we have 2 GS dogs (one is old and likely won't be with long - we intend to stay at 1 dog after Canopus passes). we just bought our RV and traveled fm MS to south OR. We had an uneventful trip and no issues with RV parks allowing our dogs.

however on our recent attempt to stay ivo Portland we can't find a place to stay due to our breed and ins companies.

any suggestions? can we purchase our own ins? will that appease RV parks? other options?

thanks

wendy
LASwampRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 02:22 PM   #2
Insert witty title here

It's really up to the individual campgrounds on what they will and will not allow. If your pooch isn't welcome, keep looking.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 04:24 PM   #3

We also have a GS. It seems like the parks on the south side of Portland either have size restrictions or do not allow dogs at all. We could not get in to Champoeg State Park, which is where I wanted to stay so we found Silver Spur RV Park in Sikverton. Nice park and friendly people. It's not real convenient for downtown but worked pretty well for our plans, which were on the south side.
coupevillefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 04:28 PM   #4
(Dry Huunday)

Any time I see a breed exclusion I look elsewhere. Even if it is for a different breed than our kids. Its the owner not the dog, but the breed gets blamed.

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 04:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreiHunde View Post
Any time I see a breed exclusion I look elsewhere. Even if it is for a different breed than our kids. Its the owner not the dog, but the breed gets blamed.
DreiHunde says it spot on. If they don't want my GS, then they don't want me. Besides, my dog is much better behaved than I am.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2015 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ
WELL....THAT WAS FUN!

ChipBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 10:51 PM   #6

Thanks everyone...WIll look into Silver Spur next time we head that way.

My neice recommended GOPETFRIENDLY.com as a reference. Web site says Vancouver RV Campground might allow our dogs, but not sure how up date the website is.

We are very disappointed. A primary reason for the RV was to travel and bring the dog with us. But we did make it across country...just not Portland!
Old 08-19-2016, 05:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LASwampRat View Post
Thanks everyone...WIll look into Silver Spur next time we head that way.

My neice recommended GOPETFRIENDLY.com as a reference. Web site says Vancouver RV Campground might allow our dogs, but not sure how up date the website is.

We are very disappointed. A primary reason for the RV was to travel and bring the dog with us. But we did make it across country...just not Portland!
I use RV Parky app to look for campgrounds in areas where we want to stay. You can filter for pets allowed to narrow your search. This app dies not list size restrictions but there is a link to the websites for further information. May be a help, maybe not?

We wanted to go northwest in a couple of years. I may write Portland off my list.... Your family and GS would be welcome by us in Kansas City, MO.

ChipBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 06:29 AM   #8
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipBruce View Post
DreiHunde says it spot on. If they don't want my GS, then they don't want me. Besides, my dog is much better behaved than I am.
Thanks! and yea I'm the one that normally growls and grumbles at people

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 04:42 PM   #9

I am in the, if you don't like my dog because of breed, then you will not get my business group. I like and love big dogs (mainly Dobermans) so much more than little dogs. It is a matter of preference as I know small dog people love their babies just as much. We are also not much of the RV park type either. See if you can find a state campground that your rig will fit in.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 11:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LASwampRat View Post
we have 2 GS dogs (one is old and likely won't be with long - we intend to stay at 1 dog after Canopus passes). we just bought our RV and traveled fm MS to south OR. We had an uneventful trip and no issues with RV parks allowing our dogs.

however on our recent attempt to stay ivo Portland we can't find a place to stay due to our breed and ins companies.

any suggestions? can we purchase our own ins? will that appease RV parks? other options?

thanks

wendy
I worked for a company in a different part of the service industry and certain activities were not allowed due to the often stated excuse of "insurance regulations."

One day while having a friendly conversation with our insurance broker I questioned him about the regulations. He laughed and told me the statement was BS and I could allow these activities at no additional cost while pleasing my customers.

bottom line is that sometimes Insurance Regulations are just an excuse to allay the real or imagined fears of management.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 10:11 AM   #11

Delco, why am I not surprised?!

Also, I'll check out state campgrounds.

Thanks everyone!