Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2018, 12:22 PM   #1

getting an RV education

First time posting here! Hello everyone!
We just purchased a 2008 Sandpiper that probably has 2008 problems being 10 years old! Are there any books out there worth purchasing that teach how to repair and maintain an RV? For instance, I want to make sure everything is sealed and caulked correctly but I don't even know what that is supposed to look like!Using this example, a book that would show pictures of how to take the old stuff off and put new on... Are there any books like that? Thanks!
Aliome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 01:03 PM   #2

Your best book would be this forum, there is so much information here.
Just use the search section here and ask what you are wanting to do.
Good luck
Egghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 01:03 PM   #3
Site Team

There are tons of RV repair/maintenance videos on YouTube.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 01:25 PM   #4

Certainly youtube is your friend... do the search from the youtube page and find virtually any question answered... some better than others.

This forum is THE BOOK...

My advise for caulk... get on the roof and be critical of anything that looks cracked or loose and peeling... give it a tug... use a plastic putty knife under the edge of the caulk and if it peels up then you have a problem... if it is stuck on good then go to the next piece you see.

myself and others have used Eternabond tape (2" to 6" wide) to tape over all good looking caulk making sure the tape is adhered onto GOOD CLEAN ROOF. Pull up bad caulk and tape over that spot for a repair that will last 10 years plus on a roof... Many threads on here about Eternabonding your roof.

A leaking roof is your biggest worry, so just go over it with a fine tooth comb looking for possible problem areas.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 06:37 PM   #5

Thanks rsdata! I will start searching for Eternabond on here and you tube right away! I haven't ever heard of that before so I didn't know to search for it-
Old 08-29-2018, 07:33 PM   #6

So I am completely sold on Eternabonding the roof- what about all the side seams running from the roof down to the bottom- do you use eternabond there too or is there another product that works well for that?
Old 08-29-2018, 08:17 PM   #7

Quote:
do you use eternabond there too or is there another product that works well for that?
Eternabond tape is a thick mastic tape (maybe 1/16th inch) with a plastic top layer that allows you to work with it, as the base mastic is very sticky. Not pretty to look at, but on the roof most don't care.

vertical seams can be caulked with any quality caulk... most everyone stays away from silicon based on the roof or areas where water intrusion may become a problem... Unless old silicon caulk is completely cleaned off, any new caulk will have a hard time adhering and giving a good seal.

I have used a latex based caulk to seal vertical seams... easy water cleanup.

However, others use what is pictured below.

Hope this helps...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	geocell.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	184853  

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 12:37 PM   #8

give us some photos of your roof please
Philkaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 01:28 PM   #9

Agreed, this forum will teach you alot. I knew nothing about rv's and what I needed, or the various equipment, etc....I even went on Camping World's website and literally went thru all 100+ pages studying almost everything including the descriptions and reviews to get educated at first.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 01:51 PM   #10
HDU

Probably most of us started in the same place you are at currently, I didn't know a thing about campers when I bought my first one.

Thinking back, for some reason, I thought a TT was a complex device that required special knowledge to maintain or repair. I was very wrong, when you get into the guts of your new TT, you will see how basic they really are ... more than anything, things are a little hard to get to or access sometimes, but if you are even somewhat handy, and practice some patience, you will find that you are capable of most tasks involving your TT. You will also probably find that the quality of your work exceeds the quality performed at the manufacturer.

As others have suggested, this forum will tell you what you need to know. Just relax, enjoy your new toy and don't worry about not knowing everything at this point. Read the posts on this forum and you will learn a tremendous amount.
HDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 02:40 PM   #11

Rv education

I am a little embarrassed that I have not made comments on this blog as of yet, but to the education part. I am 1.5 years into my 1st RV ( Leprechaun 22qb) bought new. I have found that the vast majority of my leaning and knowledge has come from reading this blog on an almost daily basis. I have found that if I don't need the information today, I will someday. This community is just a bunch of good people helping good people. Kind of like the good old days. So enough of the sap. Just read this blog all you can. You will find all you need to know.
texasbozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 06:11 PM   #12

We need a like button!
What that guy above said!
Old 08-30-2018, 07:02 PM   #13

I jumped in feet first into RVing five years ago. I was a virgin but learned via the school of hard knocks, this forum and a lot of You Tube.

Happy Trails!
tosh99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 07:59 PM   #14

I’m still learning
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 04:36 AM   #15

It will also be helpful if you will go to the User CP at the top left and fill out your signature with whatever equipment (Camper, Tow Vehicle, etc.) you have so everyone can see it every time you post.

Makes it much easier for people to help you if you end up with specific questions.
Old 08-31-2018, 06:10 AM   #16

Don't overlook the library tab at the top of the page or the search feature. I wonder if just about everything hasn't been hashed over at least once.
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 06:35 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliome View Post
First time posting here! Hello everyone!
We just purchased a 2008 Sandpiper that probably has 2008 problems being 10 years old! Are there any books out there worth purchasing that teach how to repair and maintain an RV? For instance, I want to make sure everything is sealed and caulked correctly but I don't even know what that is supposed to look like!Using this example, a book that would show pictures of how to take the old stuff off and put new on... Are there any books like that? Thanks!
Welcome Aliome,

One suggestion might be to add some details in your signature line. Your Trailer, tow vehicle and any other info you would like. Many times it makes it easier to answer your a question knowing a little more about stuff.
Old 08-31-2018, 06:49 PM   #18

Thanks so much to everyone!! I will definitely add that info as Im sure it does help people to answer questions- Thanks for the suggestion! Also I didn't even see the "library" in the bar! Thanks for pointing that out too!
Old 08-31-2018, 06:54 PM   #19

Just wanted to see if the signature changes worked-

Tags
cat