Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2013, 10:17 AM   #1
Always Learning

Getting antifreeze in for winterizing?

Ok- I sometimes forget how much of a newbie I still am. For the pop-up, we only blew out the lines. For the fifth wheel, I did that, but I did also want to pump antifreeze into the system but I'm not sure how to get the antifreeze from the bottle into the water system. Sounds dumb, I know.

My water connections outside have:
- City water inlet
- Freshwater tank inlet
- Antifreeze inlet
- Hot water heater bypass switch
- Antifreeze bypass switch

Now, I did try looking at the book. But it said, if you use antifreeze, put it into the tank- but didn't indicate which tank. I really didn't want to put it into freshwater tank.

I bought a short 6' piece of hose for sacrificing. I thought I'd be able to connect the hose to the camper and take the other end (cut if off) and stuff it down into the gallon of AF. But, I wasn't sure what would magically pull it up into the camper.

Nor did I have any idea what the antifreeze bypass thing did.

Shrugs. Right now it just has its lines blown out.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:27 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

You should have a FW tank bypass and a hot water tank bypass. Close both and stick the antifreeze inlet hose directly in the gallon jug of antifreeze and turn the pump on. Depending on size and number of faucets you have, you'll need 2-4 gallons. Once pump is on turn each faucet on, hot and cold, one at a time, until bright pink flows through.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:29 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Don't forget outside faucets and washer hookup, if so equipped.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:31 AM   #4
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttrost65 View Post
We've got both and have blown them out.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:33 AM   #5
Always Learning

Quote:
You should have a FW tank bypass and a hot water tank bypass. Close both and stick the antifreeze inlet hose directly in the gallon jug of antifreeze and turn the pump on. Depending on size and number of faucets you have, you'll need 2-4 gallons. Once pump is on turn each faucet on, hot and cold, one at a time, until bright pink flows through.
What pump? The regular water pump? (Like if I were running off of my FW tank?)
Old 01-20-2013, 10:38 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I have a 365saq and it took a good 4 gallons to winterize mine, you should probably need the same. I blew all my lines, then pumped antifreeze throughout, 5 faucets, 1 shower, 2 stools, washer hookup, and outside hose connection.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:42 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
What pump? The regular water pump? (Like if I were running off of my FW tank?)
Exactly, the antifreeze bypass valve will make the pump suck from the antifreeze jug, instead of the freshwater tank. Make sure your HW tank is bypassed! It may take a couple gallons before the pump builds pressure in lines to shut off. Then start opening faucets until air and any remaining water is gone and the pink flows. Keep an eye on your antifreeze jug and place hose in new jug when empty.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:46 AM   #8
Always Learning

Wow, it's that easy? Thanks!
Old 01-20-2013, 10:53 AM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Wow, it's that easy? Thanks!
Another little trick to help save antifreeze, is to put an empty disposable water bottle in the water filter canister, if you have one. Simply remove the filter, through the bottle in, screw the canister back on.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Dang! I forgot the washer hookup! I think I'm going to have to plug that off at the source. I'm never going to use it.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:58 AM   #11
Always Learning

Quote:

Another little trick to help save antifreeze, is to put an empty disposable water bottle in the water filter canister, if you have one. Simply remove the filter, through the bottle in, screw the canister back on.
We do have one. I took the filter out and emptied the water after blowing out the lines, but throwing a water bottle in there makes sense! Good thought.

Guess I'll have to pickup more antifreeze and bring the camper home to re-winterize it.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:00 AM   #12
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post

Dang! I forgot the washer hookup! I think I'm going to have to plug that off at the source. I'm never going to use it.
You'd be surprised how much water comes out of those lines, too. My suggestion is to get a 45* elbow to point the water out towards your bucket. My wife said it just kind of dripped out and she couldn't catch it. Fortunately, she had towels handy.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:05 AM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
You'd be surprised how much water comes out of those lines, too. My suggestion is to get a 45* elbow to point the water out towards your bucket. My wife said it just kind of dripped out and she couldn't catch it. Fortunately, she had towels handy.
I take a small piece of hose and connect it to the valve and then put the other end in washer drain. No bucket, no mess, and when you run antifreeze through, you now have it the drain trap also.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:08 AM   #14
Always Learning

Quote:

I take a small piece of hose and connect it to the valve and then put the other end in washer drain. No bucket, no mess, and when you run antifreeze through, you now have it the drain trap also.
Good idea!
Old 01-21-2013, 09:37 AM   #15

I have a 2 gallon pump sprayer that I use just for winterizing, I put a hose connection on
it so all i have to do is screw it into the camper water hook up, Pump it up and go in and open each faucet one at a time, It makes winterzing very easy
Old 01-21-2013, 10:48 AM   #16
Site Team - Lou

Just to make things clear.

When we speak of "antifreeze" we mean RV antifreeze; not the automotive kind.
Normally "pink" it can be other colors; BUT it is always NON-TOXIC.

Automotive antifreeze is POISONOUS. It will stay poisonous even after numerous flushings of the system. Even a tiny bit will make you very sick and can kill children and pets even at low concentrations.

Camco® 1gal RV Anti-Freeze - 6 Pack - Engine Antifreeze - Ace Hardware

Starbrite Sea Safe Non-Toxic Anti-Freeze, -50F from Wholesale Marine

NOT

GRAINGER APPROVED VENDOR Antifreeze Coolant, DEX-COOL(R), 1 Gallon - Automotive Fluids - 1PKU5|ZXELRU1 - Grainger Industrial Supply
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:33 PM   #17

a little aside (don't mean to hijack), can the antifreeze be reused in the Spring? put back in the bottle and shelved until next winter? we keep ours in the garage, not even sure if we needed to winterize, but we did anyway...paranoid
Drakestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:02 PM   #18
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakestar View Post
a little aside (don't mean to hijack), can the antifreeze be reused in the Spring? put back in the bottle and shelved until next winter? we keep ours in the garage, not even sure if we needed to winterize, but we did anyway...paranoid
I had the same question!
Old 01-25-2013, 09:09 AM   #19
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakestar View Post
Yes. While it has alcohol in it, it is of a low enough concentration not to evaporate. HOWEVER, keep an eye on partial bottles. While they will not freeze, there is "food" in there for bacteria and mold. This why a thorough flush and sanitation EVERY spring is not only a good idea, but required for safe drinking water.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:30 AM   #20
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I know many say to use a chlorine solution to sanitize your water lines and tank, but getting the chlorine taste out can take quite a bit of rinsing. Since I'm a homebrewer, I have sanitizing products that impart no taste and some don't even need to be rinsed. There are several products out there that you can find at any online brewing store. Star San and Saniclean are a couple that I use quite often.

Tags
antifreeze