Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2010, 12:11 AM   #1

Getting colder

Temps here in Kansas just dropped to 24 degrees and still going down. I am sooooo glad I have the peace of mind knowing I didn't cut any corners when winterizing my camper two days ago...
qmrichardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 07:09 AM   #2
Wanna Be Camper

Glad to see you got it done in time and done right. One never knows what mother nature is going to throw at them.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 08:02 AM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Kansas

I see on the weather channel, you Kansas people are really catching it! Makes me glad that I live in Florida
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 08:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmrichardson View Post
Temps here in Kansas just dropped to 24 degrees and still going down. I am sooooo glad I have the peace of mind knowing I didn't cut any corners when winterizing my camper two days ago...
Just like you I got my tt winterized just in time this past Sunday. The cold front is just now reaching us here in east-central OK. It's 34° and falling, rain and thunder. They do have a winter advisory out, but they don't really expect anything bad. Just a few areas will have some freezing rain.

Stay warm and dry!
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 08:13 AM   #5

This morning, here in Iowa, the temp is 17 took our batteries out last Monday and have had it winterized for two weeks. Summer here yet!!!!
f150k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 04:11 PM   #6

Cold in Tulsa area too

Got ours winterized last week before taking it in for some warrenty work.
Was 80 here this time yesterday...AND.....35 right now...BRRRRR.
Hurry up turkey ! ! !

HAPPY TURKEY DAY ALL
1st, 2nd, and 3rd INTERNATIONAL F.R.O.G. RALLY Branson. MO.
1st, 2nd, and 4th INTERNATIONAL RALLY Goshen, IN.
BOBFIDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 07:13 AM   #7

sigh.... -29C or -39C with the windchill here yesterday

2010 Rockwood 8281SS Signature Ultra Light
2009 Dodge Ram 2500 w/6.7 Cummins
bobsquarepants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 08:49 AM   #8

Here in the North/East temps are starting to get down in the 30's at night and in the lower 50's by day.
No snow yet but the last two days it has been cool and with rain.

As far as camping, we are done.............Come on Spring
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 09:36 AM   #9

Okey okey, we had our snow and cold temps (lows in the teens Highs in the 20s) Now back to normal, highs in the low 40's, and Camping this weekend down at the Coast

Hatchet
Chevy 2500HD Diesel
07 SandPiper F305

Days camped 2011 "3" so far,
Hatchet58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 10:01 AM   #10

New at Winterizing with anti freeze and no way to blow out the lines.

How do I get anti freeze into the water line? I'm new at this.
Rickity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 10:19 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickity View Post
How do I get anti freeze into the water line? I'm new at this.
You didn't mention what tt you have, but most have a line that is hooked up to the water pump. The line is usually 18" -2' long and is cut off. There should be a valve on this line. Open the valve, valve is open when the handle is turned parrell to the line. Place the end of the hose in the anti freeze container and turn on your water pump. Open each faucet one at a time, hot and cold, until you see anti freeze coming out. Don't forget your outside shower if you have one. Also don't forget your toilet. Flush until you see the anti freeze coming out and leave some in the toilet as well.
Of course you must drain all water in the system first including your hot water tank and don't forget your low point drains. Close off the lines going into and out of the hot water tank and open the bypass valve on the line running between the two.

Here's a pic of the lines next to the hot water tank. This is the only pic I have and only shows 2 valves instead of 3 because the hot water line has a check valve preventing back flow into the tank. Your's will most likely have a valve on this line.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Water Tank.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	3934  
Old 11-30-2010, 10:26 AM   #12

New at Winterizing with anti freeze and no way to blow out the lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhodes50 View Post
You didn't mention what tt you have, but most have a line that is hooked up to the water pump. The line is usually 18" -2' long and is cut off. There should be a valve on this line. Open the valve, valve is open when the handle is turned parrell to the line. Place the end of the hose in the anti freeze container and turn on your water pump. Open each faucet one at a time, hot and cold, until you see anti freeze coming out. Don't forget your outside shower if you have one. Also don't forget your toilet. Flush until you see the anti freeze coming out and leave some in the toilet as well.
Of course you must drain all water in the system first including your hot water tank and don't forget your low point drains. Close off the lines going into and out of the hot water tank and open the bypass valve on the line running between the two.

Here's a pic of the lines next to the hot water tank. This is the only pic I have and only shows 2 valves instead of 3 because the hot water line has a check valve preventing back flow into the tank. Your's will most likely have a valve on this line.
Thankyou for your help. I do not know how to find these valves. The only thing I can find on the hot water tank is the drain on the outside of the trailer. It's a Sierra 27R model (2002). We just used it for the first time this year.
Rickity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:51 PM   #13

Sorry I'm not familar with your tt. Depending on where your water heater is located, the lines are usually on the backside so you will probably have to remove a panel on the inside of the tt. Look around inside at the approx location where you located the water heater from the outside. You should be able to find a panel that you can remove. Once you do this you can look around and see where everything is.

On my current tt, a rear kitchen model, I access my valves by removing 1 screw on a panel behind cabinet doors located under the kitchen sink.
My last tt, a front kitchen model, I accessed the valves from outside the tt by removing 2 screws on a panel located inside the curb side rear pass through storage.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:26 PM   #14

Just thought I might add.
On the 2 tt's I mentioned earlier the water pump sat next to the hot water tank.
The Salem tt I had, the valves were accessible through a cabinet door in the hallway and the water pump was located under the entertainment center. There were 2 cabinet doors to open, then I removed the bottom of the shelf to gain access. The water pump did not have a siphon hose for the anti freeze, but I purchased a kit that was inexpensive, very easy to install and use.
So see if you can locate the valves as I noted in the above post and if the water pump isn't located close by, you can easily locate it by turning it on.

Hope this helps.