Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2017, 04:48 PM   #21

Now you understand why you see so many fridge and freezers sitting on the curb after a hurricane. People fail to empty them before evacuating, power goes off, and things go bad in a hurry!
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 05:12 PM   #22

Zorbx order remover and it leaves no stains
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 05:29 PM   #23

Had a similar scenario, except the repair shop forgot to plug us in over the long HOT Texas Labor day weekend with the fridge and freezer full. Cleaned the same as you, but we used the baking soda boxes along with wadding up black and white news paper pages and filling the fridge and freezer completely, along with putting piles of charcoal briquettes on the shelves (on the news paper to keep from making to much of a mess). We left this for 5 days and when we opened it up no more smell, after we through all the stuffing away.

Good luck.
250DayDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 05:27 AM   #24
MCTroy

I dud the same thing when we had to pull out fast to avoid a flood. I used regular charcoal and crinkled newspaper. Changed it frequently but it did clear out the odor. Good luck!
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 05:43 AM   #25
"On the road again"

We were gone on a trip one time and returned to find our main power supply at the house had tripped and EVERYTHING went off...refrigerator, freezer, etc. Best we could tell, it had been off about 6 days (based on receiving an alert that our wifi thermostat had disconnected).

It was a real mess.

The first thing we did was get the freezer running again and re-freeze everything. It stinks a lot less once it's frozen again. We also added activated charcoal to absorb the "fragrance".

Then, on garbage pick-up day...we sacked it up still frozen and left it to be hauled away.

Sorry for your troubles - been there, done that!

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:43 AM   #26

I agree with Skyliner, if you aren't familiar with Odoban, it is awesome for just about anything. Side note to Odoban. We used it to mop the floor after we cleaned the floor (tile), and it left the whole house smelling amazing. After mopping, I got lazy and left the bucket of water/odoban mixture and mop next to the hamster cage (I was going to clean the cage the next day so I figured I wouldn't forget the mop if it was next to it). When I went to clean the cage the next day the bucket had eliminated all odor from the cage. It went from smelling dirty to no smell at all over night just from being in the same room. Still needed to be cleaned but no odor... Back to the thread. If you can get some odoban, spray it in your trailer on the fabrics, carpets, seats, couch, etc (make sure it wont stain them). And then use it to mop your floors and everything. It will help to take care of any odor that isn't inside the freezer.

Fortunately for you, this happened in Sept/Oct and not April/May (at the beginning of the season). Would have ruined your summer camping. I assume you wont be using it over the winter, so keep the charcoal and things in the freezer all winter. Keep "fluffing" it up and replace it when needed and you should be good for next spring (fingers crossed for you, I can only imagine the smell, and my imagination makes it not too good...lol)

Old 10-31-2017, 08:33 PM   #27

Savoy

Try fresh coffee grounds. Used many times on refrigerator trailer's
savoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 05:04 PM   #28
Summer2Go

I keep wiping everything down with Lysol wipes, and keeping the doors wide open to the air. My refrigerator keeps quitting and spoiling food. My daughters friend gave her trout he had caught, and that made quite a stink last time.
Summer2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 07:40 PM   #29

We tried everything including a product from a mortuary. Never could get all it out. Just ended up replacing it.

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 07:55 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT-RN View Post
We tried everything including a product from a mortuary. Never could get all it out. Just ended up replacing it.

Russell
You are a HOOT! LMAO
In your line of work an old freezer should smell good.

I Catch Fish......What is your SuperPower?
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 06:58 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordHauler View Post
You are a HOOT! LMAO

In your line of work an old freezer should smell good.

Guess there some truth in your statement. But my business smells just fine to me. Lol

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 08:11 AM   #32
Road Trippin

Trade in the RV for a new one...just kidding. 😂
pismolocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 06:55 PM   #33

Note to self: always check the fridge and freezer... multiple times.

On a side note, we lost a freezer full of food due to a gfci outlet. Got rid of it and the gfci. Now i use a portable gfci if I need one.
whirledpeaz is offline   Reply With Quote