Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2017, 12:27 AM   #1

Getting Scared Away Entirely

I've spent so much time trying to decide on a bunkhouse TT for our family of 8, but the more I research, the more horror stories I hear about QC issues. Is owning one of these things really worth it? We've been tent campers for 16 years with the occasional use of an 18 year old POP. I'm getting really nervous at the thought of spending 20-30K on something that will be nothing but more $$. Is it really that bad?
JenSham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:53 AM   #2
King of the Road

Bottom line. For 20-30K there will be problems. You either learn to fix them, which can be fun if you are a bit handy, or get the credit cards/checkbook out and pay someone to do it. Don't count on warranty or dealer to be there for you.

2016 days camped = 91, 2017 days camped = 109
Dano1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:54 AM   #3
King of the Road

Actually for 20-500K there will be problems 😎

2016 days camped = 91, 2017 days camped = 109
Dano1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:59 AM   #4

Yes. Unfortunately.

The "Big Two" pay their employees by unit finished, not quality. If you're not the handy type and can fix minor to average issues yourself it's going to be a frustrating experience. Not so much $$$ wise but expect warranty work to take a significant chunk out of the season.
TheGerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:00 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

There will be issues with any trailer regardless of price or manufacturer. It is not a cheap hobby. I strongly suggest getting the second year factory warranty if available for the model you buy. The more you learn to do yourself the better off you will be. Just like a boat or a house there is always something that needs fixing. Now that said, for my family, yes the reward is worth it. You will have to make your own decision there.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGerman View Post
Yes. Unfortunately.

The "Big Two" pay their employees by unit finished, not quality. If you're not the handy type and can fix minor to average issues yourself it's going to be a frustrating experience. Not so much $$$ wise but expect warranty work to take a significant chunk out of the season.

FR and Keystone?
Old 07-17-2017, 02:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenSham View Post
FR and Keystone?
FR and Thor Industries (parent of Keystone). Together they make over 80% of all RVs in the US.
TheGerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:56 AM   #8

If the price scares you, why are you not considering used?

I bought my 2007 for $5000 and it's a perfectly functional travel trailer.
lugoismad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:43 AM   #9

Had a 2007 Jayco we sold in April...never replaced a major appliance the entire time we owned it. Couple light bulbs, drain valve, Got our 2018 FR at the end of April and it's only been out for 8 days this season...worked on it more than we used it. It's now sitting in driveway waiting for dealer to make room to get it in. No electrical in 9 outlets which includes both refrigerators and I can't trace down the problem. The QC/QA has pretty much disappeared in the last 10 years.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:51 AM   #10
"On the road again"

We've camped in RVs since 2001 and yes, we've had issues along the way - but none have been budget-breakers. Perhaps we're fortunate; perhaps I know just enough to keep things fixed (or when to call the shop and get it in).

We didn't start RVing until our kids were grown and out of the house and I often regret that - so don't let all this scare you away. With a family of 8 there are LOTS of memories to be made out there whether you are tent camping or RVing.

Our Kids and Grandkids will occasionally meet up with us while we're camping, but their schedules are hectic.

If you can afford it - take the plunge and enjoy life. They'll grow up and be gone one of these days. Time stands still for no-one.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:03 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshiflet View Post
With a family of 8 there are LOTS of memories to be made out there whether you are tent camping or RVing.

If you can afford it - take the plunge and enjoy life. They'll grow up and be gone one of these days. Time stands still for no-one.
I agree, don't put-off time w/family because of Q&C fears... Our family of 5 has been enjoying camping in our bunkhouse for the last 4 seasons and my only regret is not starting sooner...

However, you should take time to pick-out a good one. Rather than pre-order a single unit from a wholesaler, etc. we went to a local dealer, 10 minutes from work, and picked-out the "best of the litter" from 8-10 same brand/model units on the lot.

I purposefully went after work during/just-after heavy rains & found new units that leaked badly - even though the salesperson double-checked to make certain all windows, etc. were closed... I also took pictures w/flash camera behind every cubby - in places I could not physically see - and crossed-off units that had poor PLEX crimps, staples in wiring, etc.

This process actually led me to buy a MILDLY USED unit that had just arrived on the lot on the same weekend they were having a big sale on same brand/model new units. The used unit looked like it had only been used a couple times and the Q&C was superior to the new units. I brought the entire family & we spent 2 hours looking it over before making an offer. The dealer then provided a 2.5 hour PDI in which they adjusted slight-out cables, awning tracking, replaced CO2 detector, battery, etc. and demonstrated that everything worked on 12V, propane, and 110V.

The dealer wouldn't budge on price due to the big sale... In fact, folks wanted more on Craigslist, eBay, etc. vs. what we paid. However, we talked our dealer into providing a "free" Equalizer 4 1200 & installation and enough store credit to buy initial camping essentials.

Before our first trip I replaced the low-quality tires & mattress and added a couple DIY mods like MaxxAir fans/covers. Although the used unit did not have a warranty, we camped for the next 3 years without any serious issues...
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:15 AM   #12
Site Team

They are not all bad, but there are bad ones. In addition, some of the complaints you see here are from people that expect perfect and you will not find that. (not a judgement call on if expecting perfect is wrong, just a fact) There are some real disasters so doing a thorough PDI is critical. If you are OK with re-tacking some trim or caulking a bad seal, you should be OK. As mentioned, you can look for a previously owned one, but you still have to be careful and determine why is was replaced. There are over 85K members on FRF and lots of happy ones. Most people don't post when everything is going well. They go camping and have fun.
Do you homework and you should be OK.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:15 AM   #13

We bought a used unit this time around and I don't think I will ever go back to new. My understanding is that most of the problems that crop up are found in the first year or two. Our trailer was four years old when we bought it from a favourite local dealer last year and there have been no issues.

That means I get to spend all my trailer working time on mods, funded in part by the money we saved by buying used in the first place!

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:26 AM   #14

It's a given, you will spend money and make repairs on any unit you buy. There is no such thing as a perfectly built trouble free RV. That being said the memories you will make with the family will be priceless and well worth any issues you might have.
mcnabbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:41 AM   #15

Just buy it, do you go back and forth on a car, house, etc. due to possible QC issues? No, you buy it because you want it, with a camper, (not to sound corny), you'll have fun and the kids will remember the trips forever.

We have a Tracer 3200BHT and (knock on wood), never had any issues yet. The only thing we ran into was the water heater, other then that, been smooth sailing so far. We had a Shasta revere prior and no issues with that, after a few trips we realized the plan didn't work.

You may or may not run into QC issues with a 5k pop-up, up to a million dollar prevost.
RollingDownTheHighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:27 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugoismad View Post
If the price scares you, why are you not considering used?

I bought my 2007 for $5000 and it's a perfectly functional travel trailer.

Started out looking at used, but there's nearly nothing within 150mi. The few used bunkhouses are within 5k of the new price and at least that many years old.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:32 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
There will be issues with any trailer regardless of price or manufacturer. It is not a cheap hobby. I strongly suggest getting the second year factory warranty if available for the model you buy. The more you learn to do yourself the better off you will be. Just like a boat or a house there is always something that needs fixing. Now that said, for my family, yes the reward is worth it. You will have to make your own decision there.
That's about the size of it
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:38 AM   #18

We bought a new Coachmen 27QB, we went over it with a fine tooth comb at the dealer as they did before giving it to us. They fixed minor screws mising,etc. SO far, have not any quality issues or mechanical failures yet. So the point of this is to inspect it very very good before buying,

Robert in WInnsboro TExas
robjordan406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:41 AM   #19
I Break Everything

Go ahead and risk it. Everything has problems. Remember that time Bill Gates was rolling out one of the new Windows operating systems live on TV in front of a live audience and it crashed.

Making the thing yours is half the fun. Just like a new house, there will be repairs. This is a house on wheels. Get a wheel equipped tool box, a roll of duct, foil and electrical tape and you'll be fine...and beer.

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS Class A
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:03 AM   #20

When we were looking originally(2013) our budget was 5K and also wanted sleeping for 8+. We looked quite a bit within about 100 miles. ALL of the 5K units in our "must haves" were CRAP. We made it to 10K and found a couple of maybe units. It is amazin how little care people take with these things. We had passed a 5er twice looking for a TT and one day the DW said...lets stop and look at that one on the way back. We did and loved it(owner was bad OCD). Never showered in, no serious cooking, shoes off, etc. We never showered, minimal inside cooking and tried to take care of. We have 4 kids and a GS so shoes off was impossible. We had some trouble, but with the forum and google I was able to fix all that came up. The unit was 2 years old and the budget went to 19K. Go figure.

The quest for the RV is part of the fun... so enjoy that part.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire