Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2016, 01:32 PM   #1

Getting warranty work done at factory

So I just picked up our new trailer on Saturday and I'm already looking to get warranty repair work done. We bought the trailer out of state, so we were trying to find a local dealer. According to our sales dealer, Camping World is our closest option. I ended up calling FR directly and talked to a nice lady in the service division. She commented about how close we were to Goshen ( +/- 2.5hrs). I'm waiting to hear back from her about getting things fixed at local dealer. Anyway, I got to thinking. Would it be quicker (repair wise) and better (quality) to just take the trailer up to Goshen? Considering the issues and that they should have parts on hand, I would think if I had it scheduled, I could drive up there, get the repairs made and drive back in one day. Any thoughts?

Nights camped in 2016: 26
Nights camped in 2017: ?
fireman1317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 02:50 PM   #2

After dealing with Camping World I would drive the 600 miles to Goshen to have my trailer fixed, especially if it could be done in a few days. At Camping World they have to get authorization to do warranty work and then wait for the parts to arrive. I left my trailer there for two weeks and no warranty work was completed because there is a "process!!" I came back from my two week camping trip and the parts are still outstanding. It's more like an excuse to delay doing warranty work and hope we get so aggravated we'll go away.

CW is over 100 miles from me and this will be my 3rd trip there. Goshen sounds like a good option.

Anyone with experience having work done there?
talldiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 03:01 PM   #3

Darn Fireman 1317 your Hard on Equipment! Only owned it 1 day and going back to Factory? Didnt they do a PDI at the Dealership before you left? What all is Needed for a Return to the Factory? I just saw your other Post about getting Home with the New Unit! WoW! Youroo!!
Old 03-21-2016, 03:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Darn Fireman 1317 your Hard on Equipment! Only owned it 1 day and going back to Factory? Didnt they do a PDI at the Dealership before you left? What all is Needed for a Return to the Factory? I just saw your other Post about getting Home with the New Unit! WoW! Youroo!!
Ha, Ha Youroo!!

We did do a PDI, but due to some frustrations with the dealer and misunderstandings, I did not do as thorough as one as I had planned. That and two of the items are ones the dealer "fixed" already or said that it would work once the trailer was more level.

Got it set up to take to Goshen next Monday. They said they could have it done why we wait and even inspect the trailer for any other issues. Plus get a factory tour!!

Old 03-21-2016, 03:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman1317 View Post
Ha, Ha Youroo!!

We did do a PDI, but due to some frustrations with the dealer and misunderstandings, I did not do as thorough as one as I had planned. That and two of the items are ones the dealer "fixed" already or said that it would work once the trailer was more level.

Got it set up to take to Goshen next Monday. They said they could have it done why we wait and even inspect the trailer for any other issues. Plus get a factory tour!!
You are always better off taking the RV to the factory. They have the trained technicians and the parts on hand. They will generally give the RV a thorough inspection and repair/adjust additional items. You made the correct choice. Enjoy the service!
l001952119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 03:34 PM   #6

Good deal! You will have a Good/Nice time at the Factory! Youroo!!
Old 03-21-2016, 07:33 PM   #7

Fireman1317 let me know how the tour goes. The wife and I head up there to take ours april 21st. Our order should be in production at that time.
frfv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 07:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by frfv View Post
Fireman1317 let me know how the tour goes. The wife and I head up there to take ours april 21st. Our order should be in production at that time.
Will do!

Old 03-21-2016, 08:40 PM   #9
World Wide Wanderer

Makes you wonder why the H E double hockey sticks they don't BUILD it right to begin with.

The factory is SUPPOSED to build it properly. I do understand there are some things that are going to need tweaking.

The dealer is SUPPOSED to do a proper PDI before the customer takes possession.

Somewhere along the way something is getting lost in the translation.

Good luck with your factory trip and let us know what you see during the tour.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 09:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by talldiver View Post
After dealing with Camping World I would drive the 600 miles to Goshen to have my trailer fixed, especially if it could be done in a few days. At Camping World they have to get authorization to do warranty work and then wait for the parts to arrive. I left my trailer there for two weeks and no warranty work was completed because there is a "process!!" I came back from my two week camping trip and the parts are still outstanding. It's more like an excuse to delay doing warranty work and hope we get so aggravated we'll go away.

CW is over 100 miles from me and this will be my 3rd trip there. Goshen sounds like a good option.

Anyone with experience having work done there?
Just wanted to comment towards your CW experience. I know several people at CW (about 8 years now) and I have my camper fixed there even though they don't sell the make (Coachmen). It does seem to take several weeks for approval and parts to be ordered. I have seen their documentation with dates of every update and there were times that they'd go 2 weeks before getting an approval and this was with 2-3 followups.

They've also received wrong parts and damaged parts requiring reordering again. I needed my control board replaced for my AC.

Approved
Shipped New AC without control board
Reordered, gave exact part number off control board.
Shipped wall thermostat.
Reordered again and had overnighted.

The "process" is a complete joke for warranty work but it isn't always the dealer.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:58 AM   #11

To the point of CW doing good or bad work I think it really falls back on the individual locations. I believe they are franchises but I could be wrong. Either way the CW by me did pretty poor work when they had my first unit brand new unit to the point that after they left I had to go back after them and redo their work on a few of the items. I got to the point of having them order the parts, ship them to me or I would go and pick them up then do the labor myself because it would be done right the first time. For example I had a waste valve that broke and needed replacement. Instead of dropping the underbelly they cut a hole in the corrugated bottom for access then replaced the valve but missed a gasket. I had to take it all apart and redo it to get the gasket in correctly. Of course it was the black tank.

Eastlake, Ohio
2013 F-350 Turbo Diesel
2016 Heritage Glen 368rlbh
Dinostop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 11:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by frfv View Post
frfv, My wife and I are headed up there also on April 18th to hopefully see ours in production. We wish that we could drive it back to Georgia.
glb6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 12:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Ha, Ha Youroo!!

Could you pass on the name of the person you arranged this with? I contacted the factory back in November about this option after my dealer failed miserably to fix leaks on both of my slide outs. (The leaks were actually worse after they supposedly fixed them.) I was told I needed to give the dealer a second chance so the dealer has had my trailer since November. They claim they are now almost done but admit they have had a hard time with it. (I would get lots of water running across the floor when towing in the rain). Roo 23IKSS. We are now waiting for it to rain in Cleveland so they can do a final road test. I too am within about 3 hours drive of the factory. If things are still not right I am thinking about driving it to Goshen and parking it in the Presidents parking space!

There is no excuse for such inconsistency in policy and advice given to customers by the warranty team. I have been fighting these leaks since the trailer was one month old and on our first long trip.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:56 PM   #14

Thumbs up getting warranty work done for Flagstaff.

We have had two Flagstaff fifth-wheel trailers. Loved both of them. just upgraded to a bigger one from the first. We had a few little bugs as all vehicles or trailers seem to have but we have been delighted with the work that the FR factory in Millersburg have done for us. They have gone well beyond what was needed and have been fast and courteous. I would highly recommend their work and believe me they know how to fix any problem. We are Canadians and have to make a 200 mile trip to Goshen to get their great service. We do it on our way to Texas each year. Park overnight in their outer lot and are there for our appointment first thing in the morning. They are extremely fast but you need to call to set up a time. They work from 6am til 3pm . Would not hesitate to buy FR .

Flagstaff Diamond package IKWS 2013. Love it.
vdroskamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 02:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanga99 View Post
Could you pass on the name of the person you arranged this with? I contacted the factory back in November about this option after my dealer failed miserably to fix leaks on both of my slide outs. (The leaks were actually worse after they supposedly fixed them.) I was told I needed to give the dealer a second chance so the dealer has had my trailer since November. They claim they are now almost done but admit they have had a hard time with it. (I would get lots of water running across the floor when towing in the rain). Roo 23IKSS. We are now waiting for it to rain in Cleveland so they can do a final road test. I too am within about 3 hours drive of the factory. If things are still not right I am thinking about driving it to Goshen and parking it in the Presidents parking space!

There is no excuse for such inconsistency in policy and advice given to customers by the warranty team. I have been fighting these leaks since the trailer was one month old and on our first long trip.

Judd Cripe
Phone(574) 296-2084 ext 105
Fax(574) 970-4938
Email: jecripe@forestriverinc.com

He was listed specifically for the Vibe line of trailers. I looked up the Roo and found this link that lists Service reps like Judd for the the Roo Line. I would say try them.
Forest River RV Contact Us - Forest River, Inc.

Good luck!!

Old 03-22-2016, 02:41 PM   #16

Go to The Factory for repairs if you can.... and buy the two year warranty if still possible.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 02:44 PM   #17

Brother Les, do you know where I go to buy the two year warranty? I have not found anything about it in my very generic, non-specific owners manual I was given.

Old 03-22-2016, 02:45 PM   #18

Quote:
Brother Les, do you know where I go to buy the two year warranty? I have not found anything about it in my very generic, non-specific owners manual I was given.
The selling Dealer should have given you that option.
Someone will chime in with a better answer.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 02:55 PM   #19

If you are that close to the factory JUST have them fix it, i had a number of things wrong with my coach and 5 different locations near me in the greater NY area could not fix it, so i pulled it back to the factory and not only did the fix it the absolute best, but they also went through the coach and fixed other things i had not even seen.
To you and anyone if you can bring it back to the factory not only will it fixed correctly but also fast, so just call the lady back and tell her to make a slot open for you and pull it back!
silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 03:08 PM   #20

I'm headed up there next Monday and have an appointment to get things fixed.

Tags
factory, warranty