Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2010, 06:36 PM   #1

Glacier National Park

I live up in Alberta, we are interested in camping in Glacier national park, we have a 2010 2501ss 27' long just wondering what the sites are like, if there big enough. While looking on the website there didn't seem to be to many campsites that could handle a TV and TT over 35'. Can anyone chime in on this for me?

Also We are going to Yellowstone in August for 10 days can anyone recommend and go campsite there?
Snivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 06:45 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snivek View Post
I live up in Alberta, we are interested in camping in Glacier national park, we have a 2010 2501ss 27' long just wondering what the sites are like, if there big enough. While looking on the website there didn't seem to be to many campsites that could handle a TV and TT over 35'. Can anyone chime in on this for me?

Also We are going to Yellowstone in August for 10 days can anyone recommend and go campsite there?
It's been years since I have been to both places. Glacier is beautiful as I remember and wouldn't mind gettin back there myself some time.

As for campsites, usually they are measured to the concrete stop at the back of the site but in many cases if you have, for instance, 5 feet of rear overhang past the tires and they are backed right up to the block then the overhang is beyond what is the "official" length of the site. We have backed our rig into lots of sites that don't look all that long but a good 6' of our rig overhangs past the end of the site.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:23 PM   #3

I was last there in 2000 and I believe there're numerous sites that can handle a 27 foot travel trailer. I stayed at McDonald's lakes, at the time I only had a pickup style pop-up camper but I'm certain there were other larger travel trailers there at the time. I was just looking at Yellowstone myself, and it looks like most of their campgrounds don't open until at least mid May.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:10 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

We were in Glacier NP in 2008. We pull a Suveryor SV235RKS that is about 25.5 feet tongue to rear bumper. You will NOT be able to tow across "The Road to the Sun". There are only 2 campgrounds where you can realistically use a 27' trailer; St. Mary and Many Glacier. There are plenty of bigger sites at St. Mary and availability is generally quite good. But it isn't the nicest campground. Many Glacier is FABULOUS! Beautiful surroundings and many trailheads begin nearby. It can be tough to get into Many Glacier. It is first come first serve. You really need to be there no later than 9:00 am to start searching for a site. There are sites that will accomodate your trailer; but there aren't a lot of them. We did manage to get our Surveyor into a suitable site at Many Glacier. We had a marvelous time. The picture in my signature comes from our campsite in Many Glacier.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:14 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Oops, that particular signature picture is from a National Forest Service campground just outside the NE entrance of Yellowstone.
Red Green coffee mugs
Old 03-14-2010, 09:26 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Yellowstone; you absolutely WILL NEED RESERVATIONS; especially for a bigger unit like yours. Most of the campsites will be too small and they are VERY fussy about you being able to fit in a site. Many of the campgrounds do not allow generators. Mamoth Springs and Fishing Bridge are terrible. We stayed in Canyon and liked it a lot. It is rather centrally located; you will be doing lots of driving in the park. Canyon does allow generators at limited times; also several other campgrounds. They have an excellent website that gives you that information. The signature picture (mine) is the National Forest Service campground near Cooke City; Soda Butte; very nice. Could be a good backup plan if Yellowstone is full-up.
Red Green coffee mugs
Old 03-14-2010, 09:55 PM   #7

I also read recently in one of the publications we get (can't remember if it was the FMCA mag, or the Highways from GS) that some of the campgrounds around Yellowstone were turned over to private companies and run by concessionaires who are rude and un-accommodating. I hear this is an issue at many national parks now. I also read that the same company runs the parking lot at Mt Rushmore. Seems a monument that was built for access by all Americans is now only available to those that can afford to pay to get in.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:46 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

In POLITICS they call it a HIDDEN TAX. Just like sales tax was only temporary and for the school system, as was gasoline tax, and ....... need I go on?
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 06:59 AM   #9
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
In POLITICS they call it a HIDDEN TAX. Just like sales tax was only temporary and for the school system, as was gasoline tax, and ....... need I go on?
Unfortunately the only thing HIDDEN anymore is the amount of your paycheck remaining after they get done taxing. Be thankful you're not in the "Free State Maryland" where our officials will be taking care of that remaining amount in your paycheck once the next election is over. They need to stop spending what they don't have and expecting the working class to pay for it all.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:34 AM   #10
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
Unfortunately the only thing HIDDEN anymore is the amount of your paycheck remaining after they get done taxing. Be thankful you're not in the "Free State Maryland" where our officials will be taking care of that remaining amount in your paycheck once the next election is over. They need to stop spending what they don't have and expecting the working class to pay for it all.

You should live here in NY where they tax you on everything. When you have a state that is run by a combination of the teachers' unions, the civil service employees' unions, and the trial lawyers, the common person doesn't stand a chance.

Getting back to the original question, we stayed at a KOA just outside of Glacier and it was great. While you are at Glacier make sure you take the Red Bus tour. It is well worth the time and the money. At Yellowstone we stayed in Fishing Bridge and had no issues, but that was 4 years ago so things may have changed.
wnytaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:35 AM   #11
Site Team

KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:29 AM   #12

There are places on the West side that will accomodate you very nicely. Apgar & Fish Creek have plenty of room. But as someone else mentioned, if you're comming from the East side you can't use the Going to the Sun road to get from East to West...you'll have to go around to the south. See my signature for my vehicle sizes (43' truck & TT total)...and I have plenty of room in most sites at either of those campgrounds. There typically isn't as much trouble getting a site in either one of those campgrounds, yet last year they were actually filling up a bit more than usual. Go to the nps.gov site, go to Galcier Park, and look at detailed camping information to see a lot of info on site lengths (a bit misleading...the sites are more accomodating than they say), and times that things have traditionally filled up. BTW I'm a local...20 min. away from the main gate at Apgar...enjoy your trip!

froale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:12 AM   #13

Glacier Camping

We are also from Alberta, and going to Glacier/Waterton is our favorite place.

I think you will really like Many Glacier. It can accomadate your rig in many sites.

The place is awsome, great scenery, hikes, wildlife, it is Gods Country.

Also of note is the shuttle service. They now have a shuttle service from/to Many Glacier to other points in the park, ie Going to the Sun Road. We like to take those hiking, use one shuttle to get there and have it pick us up at a different spot.
rdjensen is offline   Reply With Quote