Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2019, 10:21 AM   #21

A note on bears and canvas campers (PUPS and hybrids.

My friend's hybrid is a single tip out queen and a bunkhouse in the rear. The bunkhouse is a full sized bed on the bottom and a twin up top. He's been to Yellowstone, where there were restrictions, and he simply left the tilt-out bed closed and used the bunkhouse beds. This proved to be a good option not only for bears, but also for cold weather.

I mentioned that we are in bear country (just the regular old black bears), and we take precautions with our food. I also take a couple other steps to setup "alarms" so we get some warning if there is a bear in camp.

We carry a grill (actually 2 grills - one charcoal and one gas). I put these on the ground at night about 20' or more from the PUP, and I position them so the bears can get at the grills to lick the grates. My assumption is that bears will go to the grills first, because the odor is quite strong of things they love. That racket would be enough to wake the dead. From there, it's just me and my trusty two cans of bear spray. The hypothesis has never been tested, and I hope it never is.

A hard side is not bear proof, but it is likely you'll have a better chance of fending off an intruder. The bad thing about a PUP or hybrid is that a bear can enter pretty much anywhere there is canvas, and in the case of a PUP, the door is mostly tissue paper.

So much for bears.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 10:29 AM   #22

If you are only going out once a year, stay with the pop-up. Sounds like you have worked on it more than used it.

If you are going to start going out more then consider a TT. Until you have one you do not realize that a pop-up is a pain to set up, too hot in summer and too cold in the fall and too loud all the time.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 03:40 PM   #23
rvb

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsleDog View Post
we got a little tired of setting up when it rains, drying everything out when we got home, popping it up to pack. i agree, you might be best served with a hybrid!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
We sold the pop-up because it was just too much work. Every time we went camping it was setting it up 3 times.

1) Set everything up to pack it, tear everything down to move it
2) set it all up again at the site and tear it down to move it.
3) set everything up at home again to remove items, clean, and dry the canvas. Then tear it back down again to store it.

In comparison, the hard-side camper is just drag it home to pack it, then take it to the campground.. back it up and drop the Jack's and you're done.

These two posts sum up why we only had our pop-up for 1 season.

I LOVE pop-ups. Growing up we spent a LOT of time in a pop-up. I miss having the "tent" experience while sleeping. It was just too much additional hassle, especially if it rained and you had to open it all back up to air out to prevent mold (a problem you still have w/ hybrids).

We got a new tent for scouting with my son... so I'll get my sleeping outdoors experience through scouts, but I have a LOT less hassle when vacationing/weekending.

-rvb
rvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 03:58 PM   #24

If you want to sleep in a tiny, enclosed box get a travel trailer. If you want to sleep as close to outdoors without sleeping in the mud keep your popup or get a hybrid which offers the same sleeping along with a fixed galley (with a refrigerator!) and bathroom and shower.

Tent trailers, both hybrids and popups, are easily to fit air conditioning and it's standard on all the hybrids I've seen. Any problems with being damp or cold are more than made up for by the ability to sleep outdoors. We have a hybrid only because the large Coleman Bayside popup eventually proved too small with my wife and daughter using every square inch of counter space.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 04:50 PM   #25

Great variety of opinions here. The one point I'll offer is: don't rule out "no-slide" floor plans as you research the best camper for your family. We've had three RV's both with and without slides. While slides obviously expand your living space, they come at extra cost, more weight, and may present occasional problems (seals leak, motors quit, etc.) An 8-foot wide no-slide floorplan like the Jayco or Grey Wolf 26BH may well fit your needs. Simplicity of design can be a "plus".

Go West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 05:46 PM   #26

Only a slight exaggeration to note that slides exponentially increase interior space. Our popup had a slide out dinette and the Roo has a super-slide. Both open up the cabin.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 05:59 PM   #27
Site Team

Agree that we would NEVER buy a trailer that didnt have slideouts. Our old HTT and our current TT both had slideouts and other than a one time blown fuse on the HTT's slide, they were trouble free.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 07:01 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by UT_Grandpa View Post
We have owned three full TT and two PUPs over the years and a truck mounted camper. We moved between them as our use and kids required. We now have a RW 2509S for the two of us but we can sleep 6 more grandkids if needed.

We love being able to load and go and not have to pull everything apart. If it rains - enjoy the sound and not look for leaks.

If you are only using a TT for a couple days/trips a year - why not rent? No payments, insurance, taxes, storage, or maintenance. You can also try different floorplans and maybe you will find one that works - then buy the same trailer used from the rental company.

Just a thought.
Last year was unusual. We had grand plans and then life happened. I already have 15 nights booked for this year so plan to put it through it's paces. We are still looking at a couple more weekends to book but have a week in FL for my oldest's wedding that will be condo instead of camper.
kajoiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 07:08 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go West View Post
Great variety of opinions here. The one point I'll offer is: don't rule out "no-slide" floor plans as you research the best camper for your family. We've had three RV's both with and without slides. While slides obviously expand your living space, they come at extra cost, more weight, and may present occasional problems (seals leak, motors quit, etc.) An 8-foot wide no-slide floorplan like the Jayco or Grey Wolf 26BH may well fit your needs. Simplicity of design can be a "plus".
I agree on the additional cost, weight and issues. The current popup has a slide and needs it but the Jayco we looked at looked like it would be a great fit. Yes it is tight for 4 but the kids are 20 and 17 so will not be along for all of the trips and the fixed will be plenty for DW, myself and 2 lap dogs.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:15 PM   #30

We started off in a tent that we used twice. The following spring we bought a pop up because I still wanted the canvas smell and was small enough to pull with a mini van. We loved that pop up and camped in several different states and a few dozen times in our home state. We paid $1500 for it, used it for nine years and sold it for $1250 because we took care of it. We definitely got our moneys worth out of it.

However, we got tired of the set up which sometimes would be 2 hours if we set up everything up. No air, bathroom or hot water. Setting up and taking down in 95 degree Florida with 80% humidity was a killer. Getting home as quickly as possible to set up in our garage to dry it out if it rained the pervious night or while taking it down.

We now have a 2018 Salem Ultra Light 201BHXL and love it. Electric awning, jack, and stabilizers. Setup is now a snap.

I would find a regular trailer and skip the pop up. Enjoy your added time with family instead of setting up a pop up.
tyler811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 10:52 PM   #31

Like many previous posts, I started camping in a tent, moved up to a popup (more than 1 over the years) and when my son graduated from high school and moved away, I knew that continuing to camp in a popup by myself would be too much with the set up and take down. I have a bad back but still wanted to camp and wasn't sure what to do. After my sister suggested looking at travel trailers and I purchased my first one, I have no idea why I waited so long. Set up and take down is so much easier and I don't ever have to worry about wet canvas anymore.

I fully agree that the decision is very personal for everyone as to what type of unit will work best for them/their family. I think that's why there are so many RV choices out there. You've tried tent camping and now popup camping. When you are ready, you may decide you like camping a lot better when you eliminate some of the steps involved with setting up/taking down a pop up.
"Know yourself, know your world. Change it." Anonymous
kittlecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 06:46 PM   #32

What are you looking for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajoiner View Post

Looking for feedback. Should we keep the popup or go for a real trialer? I have recently upgraded the TV to a Ram 1500, 5.7L, 3.92 with 10,000 lbs. tow capacity. The wife is in love with the floor plan of a Jayco 26BH but I know Forest River has similar models. From what I have read on here, I might have as many or more problems for any other trailer we purchase.

Some things to know. We live in upstate NY with lots of mountains and are only camping at state parks with electric but no other hookups. Most of the slots are 30ft max. The wife's must haves are heater and AC. Needs to sleep 4 adults and 2 dogs.
Since you asked, I'd say get rid of the pop up and get a travel trailer. You already have a truck that will pull a pretty good sized trailer. May as well get some use out of it. I tell people that I don't camp any more, I just pull my apartment to scenic locations. This is pretty true. We have AC, heat, hot and cold running water, etc. My TT has 40 gallon fresh water, 38 gallon gray and 38 gallon black. We usually stay at state parks that only have electrical hookup. If we conserve, and use the parks showers and restrooms at least part of the time, we can get a week without having to dump or add water. I certainly wouldn't go back to a tent or popup. But my opinion only. I hope you successfully make the right decision for you and your family.
Tacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 08:42 AM   #33

Hybrid vs hard side

We, like the OP, have done it all. When we tired of soggy gear here in the east we purchased a hybrid, a 2012 FR Roo. Several comments:

1. Many hybrids leak, some severely, , at the bunks. Check the Roo forums here. Some have rotted so badly the bunk end doors fall off. Water is the enemy. Leaking has filled both of our mattresses with water, both open and closed.

2. If you camp in the east, be prepared for taking down in the rain. Which will leave you with water in the bunk canvas so you will need your camper set up again to dry off.

3. If you are at a campground but use your shower or toilet you need to fold everything up to drive to the dump station. A big PITA

We finally removed the bunks, relaminated the bunk doors, and sealed the ends. Then we built a Murphy bed. So we have a full trailer setup in a small space. Finally happy campers😊. Thanks to my DH
JeaninVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 12:58 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeaninVa View Post
We, like the OP, have done it all. When we tired of soggy gear here in the east we purchased a hybrid, a 2012 FR Roo. Several comments:

1. Many hybrids leak, some severely, , at the bunks. Check the Roo forums here. Some have rotted so badly the bunk end doors fall off. Water is the enemy. Leaking has filled both of our mattresses with water, both open and closed.

2. If you camp in the east, be prepared for taking down in the rain. Which will leave you with water in the bunk canvas so you will need your camper set up again to dry off.

3. If you are at a campground but use your shower or toilet you need to fold everything up to drive to the dump station. A big PITA

We finally removed the bunks, relaminated the bunk doors, and sealed the ends. Then we built a Murphy bed. So we have a full trailer setup in a small space. Finally happy campers😊. Thanks to my DH
Funny you mentioned the murphey bed as we have looked at several designs that have the bunks and a murphey bed that I really like.

We have decided to make it through this camping season and make a call over the winter. We just had our first camping weekend with a fully functioning camper!!
Old 06-07-2019, 01:06 PM   #35

Check them all out. I have friends that regretted getting a Hybrid. Wished they'd gone full hard side and not trying to settle for a "Popup with Walls.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 02:07 PM   #36
Site Team

As a Roo hybrid owner for 10 years and a long-time member of numerous Hybrid forums, these are my observations.
The majority of Roo owners are happy with theirs. We were very happy with ours.
Problem is that many buy a hybrid for the great sleeping space, in a small package. What they don't take into account, is dealing with the canvas and end up not being happy with the extra care and maintenance.
That's why most of the happy hybrid owners are former popup owners. They know what they're getting into and are willing to do the extras, so they can continue to have the "sleep under canvas" experience, because they love it.
When I see questions about buying a hybrid, I always ask them if they love the idea of sleeping under canvas. If not, DONT buy one. No matter if they want one for the extra sleeping space.
We'd still have ours but our camping style changed, when we retired.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 02:11 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
As a Roo hybrid owner for 10 years and a long-time member of numerous Hybrid forums, these are my observations.
The majority of Roo owners are happy with theirs. We were very happy with ours.
Problem is that many buy a hybrid for the great sleeping space, in a small package. What they don't take in account, is dealing with the canvas and end up not being happy with the extra care and maintenance.
That's why most of the happy hybrid owners are former popup owners. They know what they're getting into and are willing to do the extras, so they can continue to "sleep under canvas" experience.
When I see questions about buying a hybrid, I always ask them if they love the idea of sleeping under canvas. If not, DONT buy one. No matter if they want on for the extra sleeping space.
We'd still have ours but our camping style changed, when we retired.
Probably one of the best analysis on that subject. Well done Sir.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 04:51 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Check them all out. I have friends that regretted getting a Hybrid. Wished they'd gone full hard side and not trying to settle for a "Popup with Walls.
The one with murphey bed is a full hard side. I love the idea of sleeping under canvas but dont like the extra work.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:55 AM   #39

Trailer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajoiner View Post
My family is new to RV camping. I camped a lot with the oldest son when he was in Boy Scouts but as a family we didn't camp much. My youngest started wanting to camp 2 years ago so we went tent camping a few times but by the time we set up if seemed it was time to take it down and they didn't travel light.

Last year I talked the DW into a cheap popup so everything was ready to go and it would be simple to setup and take down. My idea was a stripped down tent on wheels. What the DW picked was 1 size down from the largest we could find and picked a 2010 HW276. For those not familar, it is 25ft assembled and just under 4,000 GVWR. This is the largest I would let her go with our TV at the time only have 5,500 tow capacity. I knew even this was stretching it but we were loading it light (since it already had everything on it). And yes, I took it to the scales and was within all the max weights loaded out for camping.

Because of several factors, we only took it out camping once last year although we did have setup in the back yard most of the summer. During that 1 trip, the front wall seperated. I have also had to replumb 1/2 the camper, repair part of the wiring and the electric jack. It has been at the shop 3 times this year trying to get the front wall fixed and part of the tent.

We are camping next weekend for the first time this year and have 3 more trips planned including the whole week of July 4th. I am really concerned about having a popup and wonder if we should have looked at hardwall trailers instead. We went looking this weekend and the wife has fallen in love with one model in particular.

Looking for feedback. Should we keep the popup or go for a real trialer? I have recently upgraded the TV to a Ram 1500, 5.7L, 3.92 with 10,000 lbs. tow capacity. The wife is in love with the floor plan of a Jayco 26BH but I know Forest River has similar models. From what I have read on here, I might have as many or more problems for any other trailer we purchase.

Some things to know. We live in upstate NY with lots of mountains and are only camping at state parks with electric but no other hookups. Most of the slots are 30ft max. The wife's must haves are heater and AC. Needs to sleep 4 adults and 2 dogs.
We have a Roo 21SS and love it. Beds are open like a PUP, but a lot more space inside. I also tow with the same truck!
1 Old Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 12:59 PM   #40
Novice Travel Trailer Guy

Upgrade. No need to go bigger than 27' unless your a full timer and like camping in parking lots.

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BRDS Travel Trailer
2018 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 LTZ
benchmarks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer