Old 04-19-2016, 01:27 PM   #11

We have the same angst when we travel. Even though we're retired and on no one's schedule, we have difficulty making a decision to drive x miles each day and stay at x campground overnight. While we'd much prefer to wing it, we know that we need to make reservations for holiday weekends and high tourist locations and that's what we recommend for other folks.

phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 02:10 PM   #12

I always plan my stops because I don't care to drive more than 300 miles in a day. A great book to have with you is called the Next Exit and it's sold on Amazon for $16.00 and gives you all the services you need on every interstate in the country, campground, gas, food etc.

Old 04-19-2016, 02:15 PM   #13

If you cannot get a reservation on the South Padre Island KOA, check out the county park. They have 600 sites full hook up sights. It can get pretty crowded on the beach during the weekend, so maybe you might want to take in some of the other local attractions. Cameron County Parks Isla Blanca Park I live in the area so I don't really camp there.
2015 23BD Grey Wolf, 2012 Chevy Silverado 1500
2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights
Life is short
mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 02:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
If planning on being a south FL snowbird you best get on the phone now. During summer and holiday weekends often require reservations. longer stays often require a reservation but many CGs may have a site available for an overnight. Towing 35' or more I'm more comfortable checking RVParky and then calling ahead.
X2...especially if planning on a Florida State Park. Good idea to make reservations. The popular ones fill up fast. They do save some of the sites for "walk ins"...but how many walk ins were ahead of you?
Old 04-19-2016, 03:17 PM   #15

All good posts. The editor of an RV publication did a seven(?) month RV trip recently and reported that for the first time in his long RVing life he found many parks were full. He frequently had to make reservations, which he hated to do.

This is in line with the trade publications I've been reading about the large increase in RV travel. . .and RVers are becoming younger which often results in no vacancy on weekends.

We've always made reservations around holidays and known busy summer resorts.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:05 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppytoymaker View Post
I always plan my stops because I don't care to drive more than 300 miles in a day. A great book to have with you is called the Next Exit and it's sold on Amazon for $16.00 and gives you all the services you need on every interstate in the country, campground, gas, food etc.
I don't know if it's from the same company, but I found the iExit app for my smartphone and it seems to do the same thing as Next Exit, and it's free.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:10 PM   #17

Another great, and free, resource is RV Park Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks
Old 04-19-2016, 08:36 PM   #18

I wing it a lot but I do do my homework. There are some parks in certain areas that are always booked. There are also events taking place in different locations that if you are not aware of, can make getting a site difficult or near impossible.

At a minimum, plan a route, look at what events are taking place at your planned stops, and make sure that you do not wind up in a WalMart parking lot because nothing else was available.
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins TD, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:35 PM   #19

For an overnight stay, as long as you get into a campground before 3:00PM on a weekday you might be OK. For a week end you have to know where you are going. If not, there is the possibility of Wally World.

A campground may have several special weekends each month where they have special programs for their regulars like a steak and fries dinner or Christmas in July and the campground is booked for that weekend months ahead. That happened to us last summer and we had to go to an ancient campground that wasn't really ready for our 40 foot 5er. Taught me a good lesson to make early reservations when going on a trip with a planned stop for a weekend.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:20 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRSmitty View Post
X2...especially if planning on a Florida State Park. Good idea to make reservations. The popular ones fill up fast. They do save some of the sites for "walk ins"...but how many walk ins were ahead of you?
Book eleven months ahead and be ready to press the reservation button at 8AM exactly on that day or there will be nothing left.