Old 04-18-2016, 06:25 PM   #1
Go with the flow or make reservations?

...and, if you should make reservations, just how far ahead should you be making them?

My wife and I are picking up our 21DS Wednesday and parking it at a nearby KOA for about a month, while she undergoes some required medical treatment.

After that, we've scoped out a route south and then north, intending to arrive in North Dakota about the time our newest grandchild is born.

Should we (me mainly) be overly concerned with having a reservation at a certain campground or park, or should we just drive and hope for the best?

This being our first time, we're just not sure how popular such sites as San Antonio, South Padre Islands, New Orleans, or Memphis will be in June and July, and if we'll have any difficulty in finding the campground we want?

Any advice and suggestions from any old timers would be greatly appreciated.

Usmcwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 06:54 PM   #2
Go with the flow or make reservations?

Really all depends on if you want to stick to a rigid schedule or take your time and make plans as you go. I think that with a shorter unit, you shouldn't have too much issue with finding an opening, especially during the week day. Weekends might be a little tougher. However... A couple quick phone calls, and you should be able to find something suitable.
I typically have our summers booked no later than April 1. But I'm pretty picky about my spots, and we're usually 7-8 days per trip.

2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L
KDHfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:25 PM   #3
We do both. If we are staying several days we make reservations. When on the road and just need over night we determine about 1-2 PM how much longer we want to be on the road. We then use a smart phone app such as RVPARKY to find a location in the area we expect to be spending the night and call ahead.
Enjoy your RV and getting to your destination. Shorter days driving are more relaxed evenings for us.
Big Dog House On Wheels
2013 Coachmen Freelander 28QB

on 2012 4500 Chevrolet Chassis
B D HOWie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:32 PM   #4
Same as the other responses. We're doing the Indy 500 this year, so reservations are an absolute, but that's an exception. For regular travel (and we do about six months out of the year), I'll book a week or so ahead if it's a very popular area, otherwise, we wing it, and have never had much problem anywhere. As noted, with a shorter unit, you should be able to find nice spots quite easily.

2016 Coachman Leprechaun, 319DS, Motorhome, Dodge Durango Toad
Badlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:01 PM   #5
The other thing to be aware of is that most RV parks charge you a cancellation fee if you don't show up. It Frustrates me sometimes to think I can just drive in or drive by but if I made a reservation it will cost me to drive by. Especially when the park is almost empty.
2016 Siverback 33IK
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Super Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:12 PM   #6
If planning on being a south FL snowbird you best get on the phone now. During summer and holiday weekends often require reservations. longer stays often require a reservation but many CGs may have a site available for an overnight. Towing 35' or more I'm more comfortable checking RVParky and then calling ahead.
2016 Keystone Cougar 303RLS
2016 F350 diesel
Edgewater 205 EX 150 Yamaha
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:16 AM   #7
Near any popular tourist area get advance reservation. Same for holiday weekends. Otherwise we do as above, call ahead early afternoon when we decide how much more we will be on the road that day.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Tom & Renée
Durham, NC

2015 Wildcat 295RSX
2012 Ford F-250, 4x4, 6.7 Liter Diesel
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:49 AM   #8
Just depends, we wanted a park in the Black Hills and the date range was booked and we went on a waiting list and that was 6 months out. When we travel we don't book sites since stuff happens in route but we do book our final stop just to insure we have a spot where we want to stay.
2017 Solitude 310GK-R Pick Up Oct 24th.
Sold 2016 Keystone Montana 3711FL
Sold - 2015 Crusader 315RST 5th Wheel -
Sold - 2014 Cougar SGS
Sold - 2013 Jay Flight TT
2015 Ford F350 SRW Cargo Capacity 3744
CWSWine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 10:58 AM   #9
We have never really just hit the road minus one exception but it was early in the season and i knew that there would be no issue. I like the reservations simply because I can pretty much plan our summer with the kids and I know we will get the spots we want at the locations we want. It also keep us from deviating from the plan due to things that pop up. Having paid for a site is always a good excuse to use for family and friends!
2011 Coachmen Catalina 28DDS
2015 Ram Bighorn 2500 6.4L
Nights Camped 2015: 28
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 11:32 AM   #10
We make sure we are at a campground by happy hour. I have seen many a park fill up by 6 or 7 PM.

dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote