Old 08-19-2015, 07:57 PM   #31

Oh yeah, F250 daily driver too! First big trip to Nashville and Goshen. Excellent 21 l per 100 km. Eco was 26 l per 100 km last year.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:59 PM   #32

I too went from a 2004 6.0 vortec 2500 to a 2012 Ram CTD, only wish I'd done it sooner. The extra up front costs was worth the effortless towing. You will love it👮🏻Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1440028753.754290.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	86225

Old 08-19-2015, 08:27 PM   #33

First think I did with my 2013 Silverado Duramax/Allison was to add a 50 gallon transfer tank/toolbox to the bed. Don't like trying to maneuver in and out of fuel stops with 34 ft strapped to my rear.
I installed an electric pump after the first trip as I wasn't getting the bottom 10-15 gallons out of the tank fast enough. Put an inline water separator and filter in the system and all works fine. The lighted switch is mounted on the dash next to the fuse panel. Anytime I see cheap fuel, I fill up 86 gallons gets me a long ways down the road.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 11:43 PM   #34

Thanks everyone for the feed back and advice. Jim, I appreciate the link. Pretty sure I'll join. Bought the diesel. Couldn't pass it up. Had it two days. Averaging 17 mpg back and forth to work. Thought it was a mistake, reset the cluster, 17 again. Same trip in the gasser, 11. Dealerships know a little about trucks and a little about rigs. Folks here have a lot of experience behind the wheel when you hook the two together. Thanks again.
Old 08-21-2015, 05:40 AM   #35
Where should we go next!

Congratulations on your new truck. Nothing like a new vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Ford F-150 4X4 Supercrew Ecoboost
Surveyor SV291
Equalizer 4-point 10K lbs.
Offagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 05:56 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryo View Post
And I thought I knew everything. Where are they as I don't think I have ever seen them. .
It's across the street from Bob Evans Restaurant. From the fairground you make a right at the light stay on that road until you come to the overpass then a left at that stop light and down the road about a mile, on the left....
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 06:43 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offagain View Post
Seems like overkill. I've thought this myself and realized that I personally would not want a vehicle that large for running around town when not towing. Have you considered looking at a Ford F-150 with the 3.5 ecoboost and max tow package? Would pull that with no problems I'm sure and in tow/haul mode it will use the transmission to hold back the vehicle on down hill runs.

Not sure how a Ram 3/4 ton truck is larger is harder to get around town in vs a GM 3/4 ton. I don't think there is such a thing as overkill, unless you are towing a pop up with a Peterbuilt. Diesel will always be superior for towing, and the exhaust brake is a HUGE bonus.
davel1971 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 09:57 AM   #38
Where should we go next!

Going Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
Not sure how a Ram 3/4 ton truck is larger is harder to get around town in vs a GM 3/4 ton. I don't think there is such a thing as overkill, unless you are towing a pop up with a Peterbuilt. Diesel will always be superior for towing, and the exhaust brake is a HUGE bonus.

I originally was mentioning looking at a 1/2 ton truck compared to a 3/4 ton. I do believe there is such a thing as overkill. To each there own. These are campers, not Wabash trailers filled with freight. Again, to each there own. My perspective is a little different, that's all. If a vehicle is rated for X amount of towing capacity, then by all means, as long as you do not exceed X amount, you're good. Brakes and suspension are already figured into this equation by the manufacturer. The brakes on the trailer are for stopping the trailer and visa versa. Braking power is again factored in by the mfg. for maximum load or towing capacity.

1500 trucks have come a long way in regards to towing. Between sway control, integrated braking and computer controlled engines, the 1/2 tons of today really are slick. It all depends on what your comfortable with and what you do with the truck the majority of the time. I prefer the softer ride as well as a 5 1/2 bed that you can get with a 1/2 ton. Again that's me. I pull a few thousand miles a year tops during camping season, the rest of the time it's my daily driver that I do some lite Home Depot hauls with.

If you prefer a 3/4 ton truck, than by all means, get one, and yes a diesel is superior in pulling power as well. No argument here.
It all comes down to what you're comfortable with. All I suggested was that a 1/2 ton was a viable option.

Have a good one and happy camping!🇺🇸

Ford F-150 4X4 Supercrew Ecoboost
Surveyor SV291
Equalizer 4-point 10K lbs.
Offagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 01:03 PM   #39

Well it's like this you can't have to much truck. Just get what you like and you and your family feel safe in

spock123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 05:46 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Oh yeah, F250 daily driver too! First big trip to Nashville and Goshen. Excellent 21 l per 100 km. Eco was 26 l per 100 km last year.
Hay B&B you always quote KM's and meters. Then I have to convert stuff to understand what you Candiains use. Which is fine but how about say also in miles and feet and inches also, so a dummy like me won't have to look up it to convert. You just want me to look stuff up I know now...

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel