Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2019, 05:52 PM   #1

Going out west.

I am getting ready to plan a trip out west towards Yellowstone National Forest I'm on the East Coast was wondering is there any websites or planters out there I have a fifth wheel that I'll be Towing 41-foot I can help me plan the whole trip out?

If anybody has done this and can give me a basic cost for a trip like that I would appreciate it.
DaleS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 06:13 PM   #2

Did you mean Yellowstone National Park? There are so many variables to your question one answer couldn’t do them completely. There are many-and I mean many- threads covering your subject and you can get great information if you use the search function on the forums. RV Trip Wizard can help you quite a lot looking at routes, rv parks, ballpark costs, etc. Have fun planning your trip, there are unlimited things to do and see on that trip.
Old 07-07-2019, 06:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igave View Post
Did you mean Yellowstone National Park? There are so many variables to your question one answer couldn’t do them completely. There are many-and I mean many- threads covering your subject and you can get great information if you use the search function on the forums. RV Trip Wizard can help you quite a lot looking at routes, rv parks, ballpark costs, etc. Have fun planning your trip, there are unlimited things to do and see on that trip.
Thanks, (park)
Old 07-07-2019, 06:32 PM   #4

You might want to start by going to the National Parks site and downloading Plan Your Visit guides.
Another alternative planner is Google Maps which will give you a basic driving plan, but they use the maximum speed limit as a guide and since you are towing, you're not going to be able to do that..... we use 350 miles a day as the max.
As for cost... we plan between $100 to $200 on the road. Some days we spend almost nothing, other days we spend a lot more.... Of course, if you spend a lot of time in gift shops or dining is restaurants, that cost is going to go up.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:31 PM   #5

We are planning a trip out west in 2020. RV Trip Wizard is what I used.
Bert and Berta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 05:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igave View Post
if you make it to yellowstone better have reservations . don't count on availability
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 07:01 PM   #7

Took a trip to New Mexico from Virginia few years back. I 40 all the way, stayed at KOA campgrounds ( which are just off the interstate ). Hit Loves travel stops. Used pull throughs at the KOAs, stayed hooked up till New Mexico. I got all my ideas from contributors on this site. And it worked out great. Once you are rolling, you find you start looking for fuel when you get to 1/2 tank. I picked loves because they are easy entry and exit. Signs along the road tell you how far to the next station. Actually after driving a few hours you are ready to stop. The round trip costs about $1500, packed meals to eat at night. The biggest costs was diesel fuel, averaged 14 mpg, till higher elevations then it went down to 10mpg. The only thing that I under estimated was DEF. I had to find an auto parts store in Albuquerque to purchase some more. There are cheaper campgrounds than KOAs so you can cut costs. With that being said, set down with your atlas, map you way, plan your stops, ask questions on this forum, the people here are a tremendous help.
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 06:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Firth View Post
Took a trip to New Mexico from Virginia few years back. I 40 all the way, stayed at KOA campgrounds ( which are just off the interstate ). Hit Loves travel stops. Used pull throughs at the KOAs, stayed hooked up till New Mexico. I got all my ideas from contributors on this site. And it worked out great. Once you are rolling, you find you start looking for fuel when you get to 1/2 tank. I picked loves because they are easy entry and exit. Signs along the road tell you how far to the next station. Actually after driving a few hours you are ready to stop. The round trip costs about $1500, packed meals to eat at night. The biggest costs was diesel fuel, averaged 14 mpg, till higher elevations then it went down to 10mpg. The only thing that I under estimated was DEF. I had to find an auto parts store in Albuquerque to purchase some more. There are cheaper campgrounds than KOAs so you can cut costs. With that being said, set down with your atlas, map you way, plan your stops, ask questions on this forum, the people here are a tremendous help.
Thank you