Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2015, 10:11 AM   #1
CLT
Next Gen Camperbot 5000XL

Golf cart - cheap or big money

I was thinking about getting a golf cart for the family this season. Was wondering about resale on these. Is it better for resale to get a cheap one that was well maintained or an expensive one that has all the bells and whistles?

We might upgrade to one with 3 rows in a few seasons and was thinking for now that just a standard with two row seating would work. Would I be sorry on the resale about buying something smaller when it comes time to buy something larger? What's the most important consideration besides condition and a reputable brand? The age of the batteries?
Old 04-19-2015, 06:45 AM   #2

Well….It depends on what your idea of cheap is. The resale on carts are fairly good depending on what part of the country you are in. Here in the south they are quite prevalent in pockets of some communities. What I see is most don't want to old (maybe 4-8 yrs old) if they are buying on a budget. They do want some upgrades (lift, possible street legal and better seats) to be already done. I would say don't count out gas. My father lives in "The Villiages" in FL and they have like 20,000+ carts there that are privately owned and the majority are gas.

If you might be upgrading in a few years look at what is selling in your area now and try to get as close to that as your budget allows you. Then when time to sell you have a good shot at moving it quickly. Don't think once you buy yours that you won't get caught up in mods because its just like your coach always a mod to do.

Bottom line is if you and your family are comfortable with what you have then the rest will fall into place. I can say the cart has opened up a lot of fun and adventure for the kids alike. Hope this hasn't muddied the waters to much.
gatnfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 07:18 AM   #3

Bought this for my wife last year for her birthday. This is used and has a gas engine didn't want batteries. You can find used ones all over. I would check the battery date at least. That is the biggest expense to replace. You also will probably wants head lights. Her cart is easy to work on one belt only and 12 volt battery so no special battery charger needed. If you going to use at CG's and State Parks where allowed your going to want suspension.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Linda's 65th Birthday 005.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	616.7 KB
ID:	74661  

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 07:23 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to B and B
That is a nice looking cart and very Happy Looking DW. How do you haul this with the Rockwood?
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 07:31 AM   #5

If you are pretty sure you will upgrade to a three row, why not go ahead and get one now. Probably save you $$$ in the future. Carts are fun to upgrade. Can get a little expensive depending on what you do it. I work at a race track. Some of the carts the drivers and crews have are awesome.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 07:42 AM   #6

I know of NO State Parks that allow personal Carts. Also Most parks have a (Drivers Licence Requirement) No Kids! Carts are handy and sometimes Needed BUT most are NOT a (Good $ Investment)!Also some parks Don't allow Gas Carts! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 09:03 AM   #7

I would suggest that you invest in good walking shoes these are better for you heart and health than riding in a golf cart. Unless you are handicap I don't see the need for a golf cart; you go RV'ING to get away from it all not bring it with you.

Just my very humble opinion.

Jim W.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:34 AM   #8
Done with this

Carts are good for more than camping. SWMBO wanted a cart for our 30th wedding anniversary. We have had a ball on it, and would highly recommend one. Our son usually pulls it to the CG for us. We have a gas RXV.

I'm a little too truthful, I guess.
Y'all have fun in "Fantasy Land".
4mula1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 09:49 AM   #9

I dont know about state parks,but most private camps are electric only.Look closely at the frame and chassis of whatever you get,to my knowledge the only one with aluminum frames are club cars.Anything with a steel frame is going to have rust problems,mostly due to the fertilizers used on golf courses.We have a 2023 Precident electric,the reason people have battery problems is that they wait untill they are dead to recharge them.Ours goes on the charger every night and stays on it all winter.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 10:30 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

In Colorado State Parks, no golf carts are allowed. (The maintenance folks are the only ones allowed to use them.)

I was in line to check-in and someone was asking and that was his answer...he was not a happy camper that day!!
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 10:32 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
That is a nice looking cart and very Happy Looking DW. How do you haul this with the Rockwood?
I don't, Be nice if I could. I guess that's why they make Toy Haulers. Our Town allows golf carts on the side streets where the speed is 25 or under. We only have one main road going through Town That speed limit is 35 and is highway #58. You can cross at any intersection but can't drive on 58 itself. She go's visiting friends and down to the lake with it and shopping sometimes. We take it when we go out to eat and the weather is nice.

Old 04-19-2015, 11:18 AM   #12
Done with this

When we get to the CG, I never start the TV until we leave to come home. We take the cart everywhere. I have an enclosure for when the weather is nasty.

I'm a little too truthful, I guess.
Y'all have fun in "Fantasy Land".
4mula1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 12:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
I know of NO State Parks that allow personal Carts. Also Most parks have a (Drivers Licence Requirement) No Kids! Carts are handy and sometimes Needed BUT most are NOT a (Good $ Investment)!Also some parks Don't allow Gas Carts! Youroo!!
Here is a state for you that you can use them at there State Parks in Kentucky and some in Virginia: Rules and regulations below

(7) If the camper has a permit, a golf cart may be used on a state park campground.

(a) A person may purchase a golf cart permit at the campground store or another location designated by the park manager for twenty-five (25) dollars, and the permit shall be valid for seven (7) consecutive days.

(b) A person may purchase an annual golf cart permit at the campground store or another location designated by the park manager for $100 and the permit shall be valid April 1 through October 31.

(c) Each permit shall be displayed prominently on the golf cart in a location designated by the park manager.

(d) A golf cart shall not be parked or left in a no-parking zone, a prohibited area, or in an area that would block traffic.... and drive all day if that is what a person wants to do.....

Old 04-19-2015, 08:59 PM   #14

South Carolina allows carts at certain parks (must call and confirm ) or disabled. Restrictions apply but varies from park to park.
richard rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 09:08 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Ok guys let's get back on topic. OP is asking what to look for in resale value of a hold cart, not where can he use them.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 09:13 PM   #16

As many have stated above there are many places across the US that only allow battery operated golf carts. One thing to remember is the weight of towing the golf cart. I personally have 2 electric and 2 gas carts. I like things about both types. Gas are convenient and electric require a way to charge them but make much less noise. Good luck with the decision. Walking is a great option as well.
summerfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 09:40 PM   #17

We bought a great used cart from a dealer with new batteries for about $3200 (with tax) was from a golf course in New England (shorter seasons)..... The cart was about $1800 options were a new body, lights, long roof, rear flip seat, SS hub caps, windshield. Bought it is 2010 in NC could get nearly all our money back if we wanted to sell, but what was our main consideration is it cost $50 a day to rent a cart where we go. Our payoff savings was in the first year & a half. The campground also sells their used carts for the same money but they can be run year round & at the ocean......... (they have hundreds of rental carts)

Club cars have alum. frames which is nice.

When you visit a 300 acre campground on the beach a cart is nice to carry all the kids stuff...........

We just got the basics but the sky is the limit for options......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	beach2013 096.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	498.4 KB
ID:	74761  

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:08 AM   #18
Team Bleu

Florida would be where I purchase from. Found a all tricked out one for 6,000.00, most where 2,000.00 and under. Some really good used ones out there too
DBsRedVett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:22 AM   #19

If you might be looking to get a limo version (3 seater) anyways, you might want to consider that option now. A lot of times you can find one as cheap as the regular ones because they aren't in as high a demand. At least here in the Northeast. You could then do as you want with it and not have to worry about replacing a regular one and starting over with the mods and upgrades.