Old 04-18-2015, 10:11 AM   #1
Next Gen Camperbot 5000XL
Golf cart - cheap or big money

I was thinking about getting a golf cart for the family this season. Was wondering about resale on these. Is it better for resale to get a cheap one that was well maintained or an expensive one that has all the bells and whistles?

We might upgrade to one with 3 rows in a few seasons and was thinking for now that just a standard with two row seating would work. Would I be sorry on the resale about buying something smaller when it comes time to buy something larger? What's the most important consideration besides condition and a reputable brand? The age of the batteries?

2014 Coachmen Apex 259BHSS
CLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 06:45 AM   #2
Well….It depends on what your idea of cheap is. The resale on carts are fairly good depending on what part of the country you are in. Here in the south they are quite prevalent in pockets of some communities. What I see is most don't want to old (maybe 4-8 yrs old) if they are buying on a budget. They do want some upgrades (lift, possible street legal and better seats) to be already done. I would say don't count out gas. My father lives in "The Villiages" in FL and they have like 20,000+ carts there that are privately owned and the majority are gas.

If you might be upgrading in a few years look at what is selling in your area now and try to get as close to that as your budget allows you. Then when time to sell you have a good shot at moving it quickly. Don't think once you buy yours that you won't get caught up in mods because its just like your coach always a mod to do.

Bottom line is if you and your family are comfortable with what you have then the rest will fall into place. I can say the cart has opened up a lot of fun and adventure for the kids alike. Hope this hasn't muddied the waters to much.

gatnfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 07:18 AM   #3
Bought this for my wife last year for her birthday. This is used and has a gas engine didn't want batteries. You can find used ones all over. I would check the battery date at least. That is the biggest expense to replace. You also will probably wants head lights. Her cart is easy to work on one belt only and 12 volt battery so no special battery charger needed. If you going to use at CG's and State Parks where allowed your going to want suspension.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Linda's 65th Birthday 005.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	616.7 KB
ID:	74661  
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 07:23 AM   #4
That is a nice looking cart and very Happy Looking DW. How do you haul this with the Rockwood?
B and B
2013 Rockwood 8289 Diamond Edition
GY D's/2.5 inch lift kit/Powerhouse 4 KW EFI Generator
2016 Ford F 350 Lariat Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab FX4
2008 Golden Falcon 380PA Park Model Model

"Oh Canada,True North Strong and Free!"
B and B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 07:31 AM   #5
If you are pretty sure you will upgrade to a three row, why not go ahead and get one now. Probably save you $$$ in the future. Carts are fun to upgrade. Can get a little expensive depending on what you do it. I work at a race track. Some of the carts the drivers and crews have are awesome.
Retired Fire Dept Battalion Chief
2016 Ever-Lite 232RBS
2012 F150 FX4 W/Max tow & Ecoboost

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 07:42 AM   #6
I know of NO State Parks that allow personal Carts. Also Most parks have a (Drivers Licence Requirement) No Kids! Carts are handy and sometimes Needed BUT most are NOT a (Good $ Investment)!Also some parks Don't allow Gas Carts! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 09:03 AM   #7
I would suggest that you invest in good walking shoes these are better for you heart and health than riding in a golf cart. Unless you are handicap I don't see the need for a golf cart; you go RV'ING to get away from it all not bring it with you.

Just my very humble opinion.

Jim W.
Jim W.
2016 34RL CC; 2008 Ram Mega Cab 2500HD, 6.7L, 68RFE 6 speed, 4X4, Smarty S67
Jim34RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 09:34 AM   #8
Done with this
Carts are good for more than camping. SWMBO wanted a cart for our 30th wedding anniversary. We have had a ball on it, and would highly recommend one. Our son usually pulls it to the CG for us. We have a gas RXV.

I'm a little too truthful, I guess.
Y'all have fun in "Fantasy Land".
4mula1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 09:49 AM   #9
I dont know about state parks,but most private camps are electric only.Look closely at the frame and chassis of whatever you get,to my knowledge the only one with aluminum frames are club cars.Anything with a steel frame is going to have rust problems,mostly due to the fertilizers used on golf courses.We have a 2023 Precident electric,the reason people have battery problems is that they wait untill they are dead to recharge them.Ours goes on the charger every night and stays on it all winter.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 10:30 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
In Colorado State Parks, no golf carts are allowed. (The maintenance folks are the only ones allowed to use them.)

I was in line to check-in and someone was asking and that was his answer...he was not a happy camper that day!!

Rick & Karen
(Retired USAF, MSgt)
Monument, Colorado
5-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote