Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2015, 10:02 AM   #1

Golf carts!?!?

ok, what is the draw? I just don't get it. So many golf carts!!!

Is it that people like their toys? Aging RV community with decreased mobility? Status symbol?

Help me understand.
2011 Ford F150 Ecoboost, Supercab
etothepii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 11:33 AM   #2
Paradise has arrived!

We are in a permanent cg site and there are a lot of carts. We are in our 60's and not quite ready for a cart. But most of our neighbors are even older or have medical issues. Walking around rocky roads can be hazardous for bones and hips. And many cannot comfortably walk to the store or rec hall. As for people in their thirties who pull in with carts....unless they have a medical reason I don't see the point.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:38 AM   #3

Glad our seasonal campground does NOT allow them.... The drivers who speed are bad enough
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 11:38 AM   #4

I've seen teenage kids ridin around in em all the time, lap after lap after lap, so much for quality time with the family.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:58 AM   #5
Georgia Rally Coordinator

They have there places but not in regular CG. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 12:11 PM   #6

I guess since I am 100% disabled and cant walk more than 75' w/o sitting down for a few minutes I should either quit caming altogether or stay in our trailer.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 12:12 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Yes I think a lot of people like their toys. Yes I think many have them for mobility issues. I do not have one but have been known to rent one at some of the bigger campgrounds (ie fort wilderness). I don't see an issue as long as drivers are responsible.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 02:25 PM   #8

We try to avid some of the campgrounds that have the 3 hour long golf cart cruise in from 8p-11p night after night. Camping should be somewhat adventurous. Walking and our bike riding. It's ok for the really big campgrounds and moderately. My opinion
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 02:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbomax View Post
I guess since I am 100% disabled and cant walk more than 75' w/o sitting down for a few minutes I should either quit caming altogether or stay in our trailer.

You realize nobody had anything negative to say about mobility or disability issues, right? In fact, it seems everyone agrees that those are legit reasons to have a golf cart.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2011 Ford F150 Ecoboost, Supercab
etothepii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 02:34 PM   #10

I can see both sides of this issue. We normally camp in state parks and we camp host in two different states (VA and MD) in state parks.

In VA, the use of golf carts is a no/no, and we are given a John Deere Gator to get around both campgrounds and to haul firewood and ice. In MD, the use of golf carts is okay and the camphosts have one available to use. We will utilize it about one day per week, when we use it to haul off trash and debris. We will also use it to go back and forth to the laundry area and it does come in handy.

We have been at a SC state park where golf carts were allowed for anyone and it was dangerous to ride a bike or walk on the roads in the campground. When we use to go to this park, they were allowed only for persons who displayed a handicap permit on their vehicle. That made the campground so much more user-friendly and you didn't have to worry about being accosted by teenagers and young adults coming around the corner at 25 mph on the carts.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 03:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by etothepii View Post
You realize nobody had anything negative to say about mobility or disability issues, right? In fact, it seems everyone agrees that those are legit reasons to have a golf cart.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
I know that but to make a blanket statement that "we dont go to camps that allow them" is a bit harsh. I completely agree that"touring the camp" is over the top and kids raceing around in them is also an abuse of the priviledge and IMO a parental problem.Most parks that DO allow them DO NOT allow gas,electric only and require that drivers be at least 14 yrs old.All of that I totally agree with 100%.Electric carts only go about 18 mph also.
Old 07-25-2015, 03:51 PM   #12

I think the point most everyone is talking about is the abundant, misuse and careless recklessness of teenagers and young adults. Some of the parks we visit allow them for people that need them and those with handicap privledges. That has never been an issue.
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 04:17 PM   #13

I actually quite enjoy our golf cart. Do I need it, no, but my kids and their friends love when we go on rides around the campground. We are seasonal campers this year and while we ride bikes, walk, and take scooters as well there is just something about the cart that is fun.

How about a 4th of July golf cart parade (just awesome!). Do I think there are some people that abuse them and should be removed of the privilege, yes. Not all of them are kids and young adults (just act like it).

We were just on ours this morning exploring the miles of trails along the river our campground connects to. It is gas and I am glad. I probably would have run out of juice many times. We have friends that come stay at the same CG and may be a half mile away due to the size of this CG. With the golf cart we can pick them up or get to their site quickly and easily. We can flip down the back seat and put our dutch oven on it or crockpots when we get together with other friends for a group potluck and we are all in different areas.

Guess I'm in the small percentage of people that don't have a problem with them.....
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 04:18 PM   #14
Done with this

We use ours for fun. Load up the family and go for a ride. We don't go lap after lap through the loops, or go offroad. We see lots of wildlife and have our camera ready. Responsible use shouldn't be a problem. We have a smile and a wave for those we see. Our cart is gas and is quiet. It will do 29MPH, but not in the CG. It is also insured and street legal at the lake. There are some who must get sloppy drunk and give the other users a bad rep. We love our cart and plan on many years of using it as we see fit. Plus it is a nice looking cart.

People playing music loud enough for me to hear at my site chaps me. Especially if it sucks...

I'm a little too truthful, I guess.
Y'all have fun in "Fantasy Land".
4mula1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 04:44 PM   #15

Boy, this is a tough crowd on this thread.
I am a seasonal site camper and we use our golf cart every day we are there. Could I get along without it sure, but I too like a toy and also for practical reasons.
I use the fold down back seat to haul my fire wood from my truck to my wood pile for my camp fires. I will also take the cart to the camp store or resturant that is at the front of our 130 acre campground. The store opens at 7am and I am sure those that camp around me would rather not hear my electric cart than the truck fire up and roll past on my way for coffee.
If you have teenage children (14 & 19 boys here) the cart is one more thing for them to do and is a big draw for them as they cruise around looking for your daughters.
The campground also sponsors poker runs, parades ect. That we enjoy participating in.
Like I said, tough crowd, if we rode horses, you would complain about the waste they drop in front of your trailer.
crunchman
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 05:05 PM   #16
Done with this

^^^LOL^^^

I'm a little too truthful, I guess.
Y'all have fun in "Fantasy Land".
4mula1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 05:11 PM   #17

We don.t have a cart (or a horse ) but I am mildly handicapped and have enjoyed the use of a cart while doing parking duty at Goshen. I don't mind others using them for whatever reason as long as they are responsible enough to use them reasonably and old enough to sue them or their parents if they hit me. Yes I am Canadian and we don't sue that much up here but it sure sounds good. We recently met a fellow camper in Michigan who had a smaller electric version of a cart, made by Cricket, that was quite nice and I think is made as a handicapped cart for people to use in malls and the like, Old Guys (Brian and Joanne)
Old 07-25-2015, 05:12 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mula1fan View Post
^^^LOL^^^
X2.....and glad our campground doesn't allow horses
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 05:45 PM   #19

We dont have horses either.Diva (my girl in the avitar) is a mule.The only place we camp with the mules is at the horse campgrounds on the michigan shore to shore trail.Diva is 30 yrs old next month and can still keep up with the best of them.She's been a good friend for a long time.
Old 07-25-2015, 10:41 PM   #20

trbomax

Your mules sound great. If we are ever in your area and you are open to showing off your mules we would love to see them and hear their story. Especially if we have our grandson with us as mules are a rare thing to see here in Canada. We do have lots of people who are often referred to as stubborn mules although I have ben told real mules are not really that stubborn. Old Guys (Brian and Joanne)