Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2013, 08:28 AM   #1
Always Learning

Good deeds while camping & travelling

I really enjoyed the heartwarming feeling that I got from reading Cowracer's post a couple of weeks ago where Tim helped an older couple with their electricity problems and let them enjoy their camping trip.

So, I thought we could have a feel-good thread where we were able to help someone or got help ourselves.

---

I'll start with one of each:

In Florida, this past December my wife, daughter and mother-in-law were at the laundry facilities at a campground in Florida. A woman was very distraught and said that she had to take her husband to a hospital, but couldn't help him get out of the motorhome because he was too weak to get up and walk out. My daughter came and got my father-in-law and I and went up to help. I talked with the woman that an ambulance would be a much better option than us possibly hurting the old man while helping get him out- but she wasn't comfortable with that area's hospital at all. (With my Mom, I drove her an hour from her house to a hospital that I trusted more. I understand.) We helped him finish getting dressed (trousers fully on and belt done up), even offered to drive them to the hospital. We kept an eye out on their rig until it disappeared a couple of days later (she mentioned her kids could possibly come for it).

And then, over this past Labor Day I was helped. My wife is my spotter and is paramount in getting us parked without issue or incident. Because Thousand Trails parks are first come first served, I ended up going up for Labor Day weekend a few days earlier than her to get a full-hookup spot. As I was going to park, I noticed a couple of old fellows who were chatting a few sites up came down to help make sure that I didn't hit anything. I still got out and looked quite a bit, but it was nice of them to come try.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:14 AM   #2
Always Learning

So, what has happened to you? Or have you done? That has made you walk away with restored faith in humanity....
Old 09-27-2013, 09:53 AM   #3

Last Fall, at a campground that I had my seasonal site, I was walking my dog. As I passed a trailer, on the deck, I saw an older man and younger woman standing over an older lady, who appeared to have fallen, going up the steps. I noticed that the older lady had wet herself, so I kept walking, as not to embarrass her.

Something didn't seem right, so I turned around and went back. The very upset husband and daughter said that Mom had been down 5 minutes, and the Paramedics were on the way, that Mom had a heart condition. I asked if they had done any CPR, and they responded that they didn't know how. It was very apparent to me that Mom was gone, by her coloring and no pulse, but I started chest compressions anyway, besides miracles do happen.

I more or less did it for the family, so that they could find some peace, knowing that we did all we could, instead of always wondering that if only they had known how to do CPR, maybe their loved one would still be around.
Sargent's Fox Hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargent's Fox Hole View Post
I more or less did it for the family, so that they could find some peace, knowing that we did all we could, instead of always wondering that if only they had known how to do CPR, maybe their loved one would still be around.

I've had several CPR training courses now, including Infant CPR and AED training. Everyone should learn, along with basic first-aid.
You may not have to take charge if an emergency occurs, but good to know you can help as well as know if someone else is doing it wrong.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:46 AM   #5

While on the Board of Directors for our local youth softball leage, we all had CPR (adult and infant) training as well as difibultor training. Never know when you might need it.

My gesture is very minimal when compared to those above but it still made a fellow camper happy and their trip more enjoyable. We were camping at Johnson Shut-In's State Park in southeast Missouri over Labor Day weekend and across the street was a woman and three children tent camping. I had a very nice campfire going with wood I brought from home. They had a real smoker going in their fire ring as they were trying to burn the green wood purchased right there at the park. I heard the kids mention smores but couldn't do it because of all the smoke. I carried an arm full of wood over to them along with small starter twigs that I had. Ten minutes later the kids were breaking out the marshmellows and graham crackers. The mother came over and thanked me because her kids were now enjoying their camping trip and the smores is all they had been talking about.

The little things in life!

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:12 PM   #6

A couple of years ago, before the trailer, we stayed at Allaire State park in NJ in a yurt.
The day after we set up, a rental Class C pulled into a spot in front of ours. About an hour after he set up I noticed he had his headlights on still and went to mention especially since he was dry camping. We got to talking and I found out he was from Denmark and on his last day of camping in the US. He rented the motor-home right after he arrived in Newark and had taken it all the way to California and back, putting about 10,00 miles on it over the last few months.
I went back to the yurt to help out with dinner and he ambled over a few minutes later with two mountain bikes. Since he did not need them any more he offered them to us.
Well, I already have a couple of good bikes. I'm avid but barely have the time to maintain them.
Since the couple at the next yurt over had people including a younger family coming out that evening, I suggested they could probably give them a better home.
This led to a nice exchange between all our groups, our kids got to make some good friends and we got some great pointers on the best places to go in the area from the other family.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:20 PM   #7

In camping for over 40 years, I seem to think that I have seen it all, but every trip is an adventure in one way or another. 99% of the time people will go out their way to help there fellow man if asked.

On one of our week long stays at a State Park, a young couple with two young children were in the next site. (My 'Family' usually camps as a 'herd', meaning we camp with 6-10 other campers in our 'group. Ages one to 70) Our 'herd' group were all around this young family. This young family pulled in with an over loaded car of a tent, cooler, suit case, and fishing poles. Our 'herd' could see that they were ill prepared for spending several days at a camp site. Our extended family drifted over to visit one by one. The young father wanted to start a family tradition of camping. Nice mannered children, their oldest the same age as our youngest. The 'ladies' of the 'herd' brought over cooking utensils and real (hard plastic) plates, soap, towels and 'wash tubs'. Arm loads of fire wood were brought over and a nice fire going. We had a pick nick canopy stowed away and took that over and the 'guys' had it up in a minute. As a 'herd' we have always watched out for each other and each others kids. This young couple were very grateful, but our 'herd' knew that we need to back off a little and let the young campers settle in their camp.

The next day the young mother was working hard to get breakfast made and camp tidied up. The young father took his eldest fishing. As a 'herd' we have many meals together as a herd. That night the menu was to be ham and beans, corn bread, salads, cakes, cookies..... each family bringing to the 'meal' more than two families can eat. The 'ladies' talked to the young wife and insisted on them coming to the feast and campfire. (As a herd we tend to have two campfires, one for the adults and one for the kids, this night was to be one campfire). My wife and I walked over with the young man returned from fishing and we visited and talked and reminded them of the evening meal and to bring Nothing as all would be provided. After the meal and during the campfire. The young couple asked to no one in particular why 'we' were being so nice and helping them out? 'We' all kind of looked at each other not really knowing how to explain what we were doing. My brother -in-law spoke up and said that 'we' all at one time or another at been in their shoes and someone seemed to step up and help 'us' a little here and a little there. It turned into a natural thing. 'we' love camping and being together and we understood that if this family had a bad experience that they may never go camping and enjoy the fellowship of other campers again.

The conversation around the fire by some was of an incoming storm. 'We' had all started out as tent camper and 'we' knew it was no fun thing to sleep in a wet tent with water pouring in. 'We' talked to the couple about what they would do when/if the storm came through. They said that they would sleep in their car if it got really bad. As a herd we again looked at each other and told the stories of the 'been there/done that and never want to go there again'. With our camper being the closest to the young couple, my wife pointed a finger at the young lady and said that "if it started pouring that you get your babies in our camper and our door would be unlocked and to not even knock but come right on in. It was not raining when we went to bed, but at 3:00 in the morning that storm rolled in and rolled in hard it did. I jumped out of bed and told the wife that I would get our canopy down and go check on the couple next door. My wife followed a minute later out the door. Pouring rain, wind blowing. My wife ran by me as I was securing the canopy and I looked over to the young couples campsite. Screams were coming from their tent. Our canopy that we had loaned them had flipped in the wind and had hit their tent and took it to the ground. My wife grabbed the canopy and threw it aside as two of my brother-in-laws ran up. My in-laws picked the tent up so we could get in and they could get out. My wife grabbed the eldest child and ran for our camper. That young mother would not let go of her youngest. As a group we made if to my camper. All were safe with no injuries. The young man was worried about all of the stuff that we lent them. My in-laws and I said as one that it is all replaceable and they are not. I thanked my in-laws and we said we would salvage what we could in the morning after the storm passes. Turning to our new guests, we pulled out dry clean clothing and said that all four of them can take our bed room for the remainder of the night.

Strangers had become friends. The next morning as my wife was making breakfast for us and our new friends, we went out to assess the damage. Everything was there but strewed around, nothing damaged beyond repaired. As was to be expected, the young family was ready to head home a day early. They thanked everyone, as most of 'the herd' had drifted over. they said that they will go camping again and be more prepared the next time.

Around the 'herds' campfire that night were new stories told and thankfulness of being a loving family that stands together and helps each other.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:29 PM   #8
Site Team

Our tiny good deed just happened over the Labor Day weekend. The kids and I were staying at a campground and the site next to us was empty.

The next day when we got back a big Class A was in that site. As I was grilling, I noticed an older fellow trying to light the pilot light on his water heater. As new as this unit looked, I found it hard to believe it had that kind of water heater. I walked over and made conversation. He introduced me to his wife.

Come to find out, they had just bought this motorhome and this was their first trip out and they were trying to remember everything from their dealer PDI. I explained (and showed) to them that their water heater had a DSI and thus wouldn't need to be manually lit. They invited me inside and I was able to find their switch to turn the DSI on for them. They couldn't remember if the dealer had even showed them this.

I told them about our Forest River website and wrote down the url for them. Maybe they joined up and are learning more as we speak.

Everytime we saw them after that, they would wave and say Hello. Hopefully they had a good time on their maiden voyage as they were real nice folks.

--------------------------------------------------
One that always makes me laugh when I tell the story happened a few years back. Our group was at one of the local state parks. After dark, these two ladies with at least five kids pulled in and were trying to back into their spot across from us. They weren't having too much luck, when I walked over and asked if they needed assistance. They jumped at the offer, so I backed their camper in, and we helped them set it up. They had some electrical problems we had to also fix first.

They explained that their husbands usually do this but had to work late, so they came up earlier. When the husbands did arrive (with boats in tow), they came over and shook my hand and told me how much they appreciated what all we did for their families.

To this day, I'm not sure how that many people fit in that small camper, much less had room to sleep. We jokingly referred to them as the sardine family.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:37 PM   #9

This thread was a great idea. It serves to remind us that helping one another - with deeds big or small - can be rewarding for everyone.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 02:54 PM   #10

Brother Les, you sure have a way with telling a story....I loved it.
Sargent's Fox Hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 03:31 PM   #11
NELA

Small thing:
While at a local state park there was a young family across from us in a pop-up. At least five young children...all boys...Mom had her hands full. She got up before anyone else each morning and cooked a full breakfast. Then cooked a full meal at lunch and dinner.

DH had to work that Friday (we went up on Thursday) and I was there alone at the RV. I decided to go to the local WalMart, and knowing that feeding that many required lots of groceries I walked over and asked if she needed any food items. She was hesitant but finally asked if I minded picking up some flour tortillas.

Long story short, I wouldn't let her repay me, and got the recipe for fantastic breakfast burritos!

Big thing:

I've already shared our scare with the first fire-up on the furnace, RV filling with smoke and the smoke alarm rudely waking us up.

Across the park was a young couple...the husband owns an A/C and heating business. He came over and eased my mind by taking off panels and checking out our furnace, confirming the advice we got here about first fire-up and oil burn off. Saved our trip, he did.

I hope some day soon I can pay that forward.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 03:36 PM   #12

What a great thread!

We were camping at Red Cliff in Gallatin Nat Forest which is close to Big Sky, MT. We'd run up to Big Sky for some reason and I was walking into a store when I heard someone staying "STAY" and "NO". I glanced over and saw a woman helping an elderly lady into a doctor's office and she had left her big SUV sitting in the road with the door open and her 2 labs inside. I asked if I could help and she gave me her keys! I moved her vehicle, kept the dogs inside and saved her sandwich from being munched. I met her with her keys at the door. It turns out the elderly lady was her mom who was visiting and suffering from altitude sickness or that's what she thought. I wish I knew what happened with her mom.

It was at the same campground I'd seen an older guy walking an older husky mix dog. She was walking slowly and was stiff but they made it around the loop and I saw them on the trail a couple of times. I was in the MH when I heard my dogs scrambling around. I looked out and there was the dog coming up to my 2 boxers. I don't think they would have intentionally hurt her but I didn't want to take a chance on them knocking her over so I raced out to intercept her. About that time, I hear her human yelling for her. I could tell by his voice he was in a panic. I yelled that I had her and she was fine but he came running down the road to get her. I was afraid he was going to have a heart attack! He said he'd thought he'd snapped her cable on but must have missed the D ring and when he turned to get her, she was gone.

I know I'd be in a panic if one or both of my pups disappeared. I hope if that ever happens that someone will help them instead of chase them off.

Enjoying the great outdoors with one hubby and 2 boxers!
2011 Georgetown 280DS
2010 Jeep Wangler 4x4 Toad
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:46 PM   #13

Great thread. Great to read good things for a change...

Just last night, camped in our local town Park, I was able to do a small thing for an elderly couple. My dw, myself, and a few friends were enjoying our campfire on a cool night when we all noticed a guy walking towards us. We assumed the worst, thinking it was another camper that had enjoyed a bit too much....once he got closer, I could tell he was elderly, and then he said he needed an electrician. I stayed at a holiday inn express one time, so thought what the heck.
They had no power. No heat, and his wife was sitting on the couch wrapped in a blanket. He didn't know what a breaker or fuse panel even was, let alone where it was in his fifth wheel. I offered to look, and he graciously accepted. Found a blown fuse. Quick trip back to my camper for my small parts box, and changed that for him. Still no heat. I asked about propane, and could tell he really wasn't sure what I meant. Turned out one bottle was empty, and he just needed to turn the valve to the other tank. Heat on, happy wife for him. She tried to give me $20 for my 10 minutes of help, but that's against camper code! it's the greatest feeling to help others.
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:42 PM   #14

On several occasions I have jumped in the cab and parked others' RVs. Most of the time it is an Asian, or European visitor who just rented the RV and are just starting their North American vacation. Seems some rental companies don't educate their customers in a lot of ways. There has even been few American owner/operators who I have assisted with parking chores too. I have fixed numerous RV problems for others, especially stuck slide outs, and hydraulic stabilizers. I have even been know to fix a flat tire on a youngster's bike a few times. Insect bites are common problem also. At a campground we sometimes host at, there is an Africanized Honey Bee problem. Numerous times I have unhooked water services with a ball of bees on the connection, getting water from leaky connections. Personal best is 9 bee stings in a 6 month period. I have even removed a two western diamond back rattlesnakes from campers' sites.....lol What ever it takes.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:49 PM   #15
Always Learning

I've been meaning to come back to this thread to report a handful of times that I've been helped. I had a few well timed gentle suggestions for something that might work a little better (one old guy walking past the first time I parked my fifth wheel- "if it were me, I'd pull forward a little more" or "it's OK to pull into that grass over there"). Each time saved me much time and frustration.

Today was quite the event. We went over to the camper to drain the water from the tanks, since the it'll be sitting empty for another few weeks. While I have it 100% empty of our stuff, I was curious about the truth in Sabre's advertising and my wife, I and the kids took it to a scale to get weighed. While we parked in front of the "no dropping trailers" sign (after getting permission inside), the security guy rolls up and tells me that I'm *also* in a fire lane. He gave me permission to be there for the 5 minutes it would take to unhook and come back. I appreciated that- it was a heck of a lot easier to park there than any other option.

Anyway, on our way home- we were sitting at a red light waiting for it to turn green. We were 3 or 4 vehicles from the stop light when the driver one lane over just started to pull into oncoming traffic. She stopped but then lurched forward again and was t-boned. The other driver hit the small SUV hard enough that it knocked it onto onto it's side (my wife says it almost went over- leaned and fell back). I told her to call 911 and headed up. I'm first aid certified but still wasn't sure what I could do.

It turns out, there were no major injuries. Both drivers walked away just fine- but the thing that made me happy in humanity, I was one of 15-20 people who came up to help. In the crowd, I noticed a nurse talking to the driver who got hit. A couple of off-duty firefighters. Everyone made sure the dog who was in the car that got hit was attended to and more than one person ensured that 911 was called (and I saw multiple people call).

I never did find out what made the person go. I assume they were distracted with something and got caught off-guard. She started to go, stopped and then couldn't decide what to do next, so did the worst possible thing (kept going- I guess trying to make it).

But kudos to my neighbors who got out to help.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:32 AM   #16

My most memorable event like this occurred many years ago when my late wife and I were camping in a National Park in Utah. One evening around suppertime, we heard a commotion at a nearby campsite. It sounded like someone in a panic. Being Registered Nurses, my wife and I ran over to see if there was anything we could do. An elderly man – probably in his late 70s or early 80s, had fallen unconscious on the couch in the couple’s Airstream. His wife’s reaction was to step outside and start screaming (under the circumstances, the best thing she could have done).

After determining that the man was not breathing and had no pulse, I started CPR. My wife tried to calm the elderly woman down and had other campers go to the ranger station to alert first responders (this was long before cell phones and other modern technologies). The nearest EMS personnel were about ½ hour away, so CPR was prolonged. When EMS arrived, they took over CPR and had me get an IV established for meds. They then loaded up and transported the patient to the nearest hospital (at least 30 – 45 minutes away).

Nearby campers secured the couple’s trailer and campsite for the night. Unfortunately, the gentleman did not survive, so the next morning park rangers and fellow campers helped the woman arrange for family or friends to travel to Utah to take care of her and get the rig home (I don’t remember where they were from). It was a very sad situation, but heartwarming to see the camping community and park staff gather around this unfortunate older woman in her darkest hour and time of need.

Rob & Laura (no - we're not the Petries)
SecondChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:56 PM   #17
Experienced Newbie

I can't count the number of kids I've bandaged up and walked/carried home while camping.
----
This past 4th of July, my friends son came with us for the week. He had just learned how to ride a bike 3 days before our departure and was excited to have a buddy to ride with. As fate would have it, there was an accident. Not due to his lack of riding experience however.

He had stopped on one of the side of a wooded trail near the beach to look at a plant he had never seen. As he tried to get back on his bike, he tipped over the opposite way and fell into the well traveled path approximately 2.5 feet below. He landed squarely on his knee dislocating his kneecap.

The folks camping just behind the trails called 911 and kept watch over him until my son could come get me.

A friend of mine stayed at camp with my son while we headed to the hospital. While there a minimum of 15 kids with assorted family members stopped by checking on our guests condition. Once his parents got up there and the knee was set, we headed back to camp and were greeted by the mob waiting. All of the kids signed the cast and wished him well.
----

You never know, the person you selflessly help may just be the person you will rely on later.

2011 Silverado CC/SB
2014 Cougar 31SQB
mhartzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:27 AM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtstromsburg View Post
I stayed at a holiday inn express one time, so thought what the heck.
That's funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtstromsburg View Post
She tried to give me $20 for my 10 minutes of help, but that's against camper code!
I like that saying about the camper code. I plan to use that one.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 01:43 PM   #19
Always Learning

If you have never gone back through the threads you started, it's kind of a fun exercise. All sorts of good times brought back good memories. Anyway, I liked this thread and am sad it didn't catch on.

Back in August, we were coming back from the beach (truck only, not camping). Once stopped at a rest area, an older lady approached me and asked me if I could help her. Turns out, she pulled off of the highway to take a nap because traffic was bad and she needed to rest a bit. Unfortunately, she didn't turn off her lights and ran her battery dead. She asked if I could give a jump. I did and we chatted a bit more- turns out she and her late-husband used to have a seasonal campsite near Atlantic City and she missed it (and him). She reminded me of my grandmother and I was glad to give back.

Old 11-17-2014, 09:23 PM   #20

Not while camping, but last month, DH and I were on our way home and just as we entered Fwy from ramp, traffic ahead slowed while 5 cars tried to share 2 lanes. The pickup in front of us rear-ended a motorcycle. The pickup stopped, and we pulled over to see if we could help to help. The cars that caused the problem stopped long enough to see the motorcycle rider walk out of the ditch he'd been thrown into. We are also riders, so stayed to help pick up the bike and move it to the shoulder, provided the rider with some water and discovered that our first aid kit is inadequate for roadside accidents, but of 4 cars to stop, it was the only one available. Gave our statements and got out of the way for EMT and tow truck to do their thing.

We were helped out on our first outing in old toy hauler. Being stupid NOOBs, we hadn't tested anything in our driveway. Hot water heater was broken, it was dusty, and I wasn't in a good mood when we decided to open the awning. After about 15 minutes of muttering under my breath, a kind camper walked over to see if he could help. He walked us through opening and closing the awning, making sure we didn't feel too stupid, saying we all have to learn when faced with new things. I keep his kindness in mind, and will offer help to anyone if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, travel