Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2015, 12:52 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
14 CC 38CK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 171
They gave us back $110.00 and charged us $175.00 to start coverage the next spring . Seems like we got the shaft
__________________

__________________
14 CC 38CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 01:01 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Iowa
Posts: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14 CC 38CK View Post
They gave us back $110.00 and charged us $175.00 to start coverage the next spring . Seems like we got the shaft
WOW!! Certainly makes it a no-brainer. The reason I originally asked was I do it with the tow vehicle each winter (2500HD Diesel). A call to American Family turns the collision portion off when I place it in the hangar with the plane and then on again in the spring. No charge. I save about $100 per year.

When in storage, the comprehensive part remains in effect, the truck continues to be covered for fire, theft, etc.
__________________

__________________
2017 Berkshire XL 40A & 2017 Ford Focus SE
2014 Flagstaff 5th Wheel - 8528IKWS (For Sale)
I Built and Fly - Van's Aircraft RV-12
MartyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 01:18 PM   #13
Who Dares, Wins
 
doc73's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Chester County, PA
Posts: 4,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14 CC 38CK View Post
They gave us back $110.00 and charged us $175.00 to start coverage the next spring . Seems like we got the shaft
Did not know they charged to take out of storage.. Interesting. Even if I leave it in the full rate I still pay much less than I did when with Nationwide.
__________________

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 05:02 PM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Boiling Springs, PA
Posts: 6
Be careful with the Good Sam (GS) storage option. Put the TT in storage yesterday and called GS. Looked at my policy next day and saw a $115 credit. So I called them today to update the address as to where it will be stored during the winter. Since the storage unit is in another zip code (35 miles from my home) they recalculated the premium and charged me another $110. I tried to understand their justification for the increase but the person I talked to didn't like where the conversation was going I guess and hung up on me. She said she needed to check her guidelines. I guess it read, "When in trouble and unable to provide an answer.....HANG UP". I tried their chat feature on line and the conversation was ended by them before I was done typing. Called them again and received a hang up before I even talked to someone. Called again and finally talked to someone who knew what they were talking about. So the increase is justified even though I don't agree with it. If I didn't provide the storage address and the TT was damaged while in storage, they wouldn't cover the claim since the storage address on record was my home address. Anyway, this episode got me thinking. If I was dismissed 3 times this morning by National General Insurance, how would I be treated with a claim? So I cancelled with them and went with Progressive through USAA. 3$ more per month for essentially the same coverage. I know. A claim with Progressive may be handled poorly too. For me it came down to how I was treated this morning by NGI.
__________________
rawn60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 05:10 PM   #15
Who Dares, Wins
 
doc73's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Chester County, PA
Posts: 4,818
I saw your posts on this in a previous thread you had.. Had me thinking...
__________________

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 07:25 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Jack350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Central New York
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyQ View Post
WOW!! Certainly makes it a no-brainer. The reason I originally asked was I do it with the tow vehicle each winter (2500HD Diesel). A call to American Family turns the collision portion off when I place it in the hangar with the plane and then on again in the spring. No charge. I save about $100 per year.

When in storage, the comprehensive part remains in effect, the truck continues to be covered for fire, theft, etc.
I have been removing the extra insurance during storage for 25 years with no charges as above. The collision is the item not needed in storage. If you are not saving insurance $ during storage you might want to check with your auto insurance company. My agent expects my call every fall and spring and adjusts the policy as needed. My agent currently has my insurance through Safeco if that helps anyone.
__________________
2012 Crusader 26RLD, 2017 F-350 4X4 6.7.
Hayes Autoformer, Correct track, Maxxis 8008E, Andersen Aluminum hitch.
Jack350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 07:35 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Blaster 84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawn60 View Post
Be careful with the Good Sam (GS) storage option. Put the TT in storage yesterday and called GS. Looked at my policy next day and saw a $115 credit. So I called them today to update the address as to where it will be stored during the winter. Since the storage unit is in another zip code (35 miles from my home) they recalculated the premium and charged me another $110. I tried to understand their justification for the increase but the person I talked to didn't like where the conversation was going I guess and hung up on me. She said she needed to check her guidelines. I guess it read, "When in trouble and unable to provide an answer.....HANG UP". I tried their chat feature on line and the conversation was ended by them before I was done typing. Called them again and received a hang up before I even talked to someone. Called again and finally talked to someone who knew what they were talking about. So the increase is justified even though I don't agree with it. If I didn't provide the storage address and the TT was damaged while in storage, they wouldn't cover the claim since the storage address on record was my home address. Anyway, this episode got me thinking. If I was dismissed 3 times this morning by National General Insurance, how would I be treated with a claim? So I cancelled with them and went with Progressive through USAA. 3$ more per month for essentially the same coverage. I know. A claim with Progressive may be handled poorly too. For me it came down to how I was treated this morning by NGI.
Rawn60- was your RV attached to your auto insurance with USAA or did you have a separate policy?
I experienced $3,000 damage to our RV while traveling this summer. Contacted USAA and they recommended that since it was OK with us, to just continue our travels and contact them when we returned home. I did that and within a week I had check in hand. They kept me informed during the whole process. Very smooth and professionly done. Only drawback was the large deductible I have on my auto policy.
__________________
2013 F150 XLT, SuperCab, Ecoboost; Rockwood 8285WS
Nights camped:
2014 - 57
2015 - 91
2016 - 171
2017 - 107
Blaster 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 07:35 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Dabmeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 259
We have our TT covered on our home owner policy. It is 1/4 the cost of when we had it on our auto coverage and it gives use 100 % replacement cost and coverage year round even if we leave it at the lake all winter. It is fully covered when connected to the tow vehicle for all perils by the truck insurance.
__________________
Dabmeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 07:59 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Blaster 84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 246
Dab web- is your deductible on the RV the same as your home? What insurance company are you using?
__________________
2013 F150 XLT, SuperCab, Ecoboost; Rockwood 8285WS
Nights camped:
2014 - 57
2015 - 91
2016 - 171
2017 - 107
Blaster 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:07 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Jack350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Central New York
Posts: 128
Dabmeb
Please give info on your post. Never heard of either of your insurance options. Not aware of the truck insurance covering rv. Interested in details. Thanks
__________________

__________________
2012 Crusader 26RLD, 2017 F-350 4X4 6.7.
Hayes Autoformer, Correct track, Maxxis 8008E, Andersen Aluminum hitch.
Jack350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
5th wheel, good sam, insurance, storage, wheel

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:25 AM.