Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2015, 04:12 PM   #1

Good Sam Insurance - 5th Wheel in Storage for the Season

Anyone know if you can save a few dollars by calling Good Sam and telling them the 5th wheel will be in storage for the next 5-6 months?
MartyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 05:36 PM   #2

If your insurance is through Good Sam National General then yes you can save money by calling them.
Dinostop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 06:49 AM   #3

But if you have a current loan on it, don't you still have to carry full coverage on it?
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 06:52 AM   #4
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKI Marine View Post
But if you have a current loan on it, don't you still have to carry full coverage on it?
Yes, unless you want to be sent a bill from the bank or getting it repoed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 08:20 AM   #5

I paid cash, thus, the bank is not an issue.
Old 10-21-2015, 08:22 AM   #6

Yes and no, they give you a lower rate if it is not being towed in the road because there is a lower chance of damage. Technically most insurance companies of had rv insurance through only give collision type insurance and not liability anyway since liability is covered by the vehicle towing it. When I bought my current unit from CW I got my loan through CW and insurance through CW Good Sam and they told me about the reduced rate during the storage months. When I called the insurance company a couple days ago about getting my new unit there is a phone prompt specifically for when you are putting your unit in storage.
Old 10-21-2015, 08:28 AM   #7
Who Dares, Wins

I do have the Good Sam insurance as well so I have not used the in storage rate yet (only had the insurance this year). So we will see. They supposedly do this for a living so I am sure all will work out fine.

But, in most cases, the paperwork you fill out when buying a car or trailer or even a house and taking out a loan says you will maintain the correct and adequate coverage or the bank can assess their own insurance.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 10-21-2015, 09:00 AM   #8

That's great that you guys feel comfortable with bare bones minimum to none coverage. What if something were to happen and your rv was severely damaged. I'm sure repair cost would exceed the miniscule amount of insurance savings by rate reduction. Why risk it ?
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 11:30 AM   #9

I have had Good Sam for a while now and always did the storage during the winter on our motor home , but after last year and paying attention to what I got back from them money wise and what they wanted to take it out of storage I think we were getting ripped off , so this year we are not having them put it into storage . I think after they changed names and the new company is ripping people off
14 CC 38CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 11:41 AM   #10

I have never had it put in storage as far as they are concerned, what did they want as to taking it out of storage?
Old 10-21-2015, 11:52 AM   #11

They gave us back $110.00 and charged us $175.00 to start coverage the next spring . Seems like we got the shaft
14 CC 38CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 12:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14 CC 38CK View Post
They gave us back $110.00 and charged us $175.00 to start coverage the next spring . Seems like we got the shaft
WOW!! Certainly makes it a no-brainer. The reason I originally asked was I do it with the tow vehicle each winter (2500HD Diesel). A call to American Family turns the collision portion off when I place it in the hangar with the plane and then on again in the spring. No charge. I save about $100 per year.

When in storage, the comprehensive part remains in effect, the truck continues to be covered for fire, theft, etc.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:18 PM   #13
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14 CC 38CK View Post
Did not know they charged to take out of storage.. Interesting. Even if I leave it in the full rate I still pay much less than I did when with Nationwide.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 10-21-2015, 04:02 PM   #14

Be careful with the Good Sam (GS) storage option. Put the TT in storage yesterday and called GS. Looked at my policy next day and saw a $115 credit. So I called them today to update the address as to where it will be stored during the winter. Since the storage unit is in another zip code (35 miles from my home) they recalculated the premium and charged me another $110. I tried to understand their justification for the increase but the person I talked to didn't like where the conversation was going I guess and hung up on me. She said she needed to check her guidelines. I guess it read, "When in trouble and unable to provide an answer.....HANG UP". I tried their chat feature on line and the conversation was ended by them before I was done typing. Called them again and received a hang up before I even talked to someone. Called again and finally talked to someone who knew what they were talking about. So the increase is justified even though I don't agree with it. If I didn't provide the storage address and the TT was damaged while in storage, they wouldn't cover the claim since the storage address on record was my home address. Anyway, this episode got me thinking. If I was dismissed 3 times this morning by National General Insurance, how would I be treated with a claim? So I cancelled with them and went with Progressive through USAA. 3$ more per month for essentially the same coverage. I know. A claim with Progressive may be handled poorly too. For me it came down to how I was treated this morning by NGI.
rawn60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 04:10 PM   #15
Who Dares, Wins

I saw your posts on this in a previous thread you had.. Had me thinking...

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 10-21-2015, 06:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyQ View Post
WOW!! Certainly makes it a no-brainer. The reason I originally asked was I do it with the tow vehicle each winter (2500HD Diesel). A call to American Family turns the collision portion off when I place it in the hangar with the plane and then on again in the spring. No charge. I save about $100 per year.

When in storage, the comprehensive part remains in effect, the truck continues to be covered for fire, theft, etc.
I have been removing the extra insurance during storage for 25 years with no charges as above. The collision is the item not needed in storage. If you are not saving insurance $ during storage you might want to check with your auto insurance company. My agent expects my call every fall and spring and adjusts the policy as needed. My agent currently has my insurance through Safeco if that helps anyone.

Jack350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 06:35 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawn60 View Post
Be careful with the Good Sam (GS) storage option. Put the TT in storage yesterday and called GS. Looked at my policy next day and saw a $115 credit. So I called them today to update the address as to where it will be stored during the winter. Since the storage unit is in another zip code (35 miles from my home) they recalculated the premium and charged me another $110. I tried to understand their justification for the increase but the person I talked to didn't like where the conversation was going I guess and hung up on me. She said she needed to check her guidelines. I guess it read, "When in trouble and unable to provide an answer.....HANG UP". I tried their chat feature on line and the conversation was ended by them before I was done typing. Called them again and received a hang up before I even talked to someone. Called again and finally talked to someone who knew what they were talking about. So the increase is justified even though I don't agree with it. If I didn't provide the storage address and the TT was damaged while in storage, they wouldn't cover the claim since the storage address on record was my home address. Anyway, this episode got me thinking. If I was dismissed 3 times this morning by National General Insurance, how would I be treated with a claim? So I cancelled with them and went with Progressive through USAA. 3$ more per month for essentially the same coverage. I know. A claim with Progressive may be handled poorly too. For me it came down to how I was treated this morning by NGI.
Rawn60- was your RV attached to your auto insurance with USAA or did you have a separate policy?
I experienced $3,000 damage to our RV while traveling this summer. Contacted USAA and they recommended that since it was OK with us, to just continue our travels and contact them when we returned home. I did that and within a week I had check in hand. They kept me informed during the whole process. Very smooth and professionly done. Only drawback was the large deductible I have on my auto policy.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:35 PM   #18

We have our TT covered on our home owner policy. It is 1/4 the cost of when we had it on our auto coverage and it gives use 100 % replacement cost and coverage year round even if we leave it at the lake all winter. It is fully covered when connected to the tow vehicle for all perils by the truck insurance.
Dabmeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 06:59 PM   #19

Dab web- is your deductible on the RV the same as your home? What insurance company are you using?
Old 10-21-2015, 08:07 PM   #20

Dabmeb
Please give info on your post. Never heard of either of your insurance options. Not aware of the truck insurance covering rv. Interested in details. Thanks

Jack350 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, good sam, insurance, storage, wheel