Old 01-07-2014, 01:18 PM   #1

Good Sam Travel Assist

I received my Good Sam Roadside Assistance renewal notice, but am debating continuation. What I'm really after is coverage that would provide peace of mind for my wife if I was unable to drive the truck and trailer home, following a medical situation, for example.

It appears that the Good Sam Travel Assist coverage does cover this type of situation. I searched the archives on this forum, and found a bit of info, but nothing conclusive.

For those of you who have, or have used the Travel Assist insurance, are you pleased with the coverage?

My auto and trailer policies cover most everything else, but nothing for providing a driver in the event I was unable.

Thanks for your ideas and input!

2016 Coachman Leprechaun, 319DS, Motorhome, Dodge Durango Toad
Badlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:22 PM   #2

Good Sams is really good for handling larger trailers. I found out that others could not handle my truck and trailer.

'07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Diesel 4x4
Why I got into RVing & More Fun
ng2951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:08 PM   #3

Thank you, ng2951, I appreciate the feedback. The part that really interested me was having someone to pull the rig for us, in the event we were on the road with it, and I was unable to drive. My wife doesn't mind pulling in a straight line, but doesn't want the cornering or backing.

I realize that it would be driven to the nearest campground, or other approved location, and that alone would be a Godsend. Once unhitched, she could haul me home in the truck!

Have a good one!

Old 01-07-2014, 05:15 PM   #4

I've honestly never heard of such a service. Doesn't mean they don't exist- just that I don't know of it.

I know that OldCoot has talked about having a plan to fly one of his sons in if he's ever incapacitated to get his rig home.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:28 PM   #5

Good Sam Travel Assist is for handling medical emergencies for RVers on the road. I get mailings all the time for this plan. I'll probably look into this the next time I get something in the mail.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:06 PM   #6

Some individual clubs off this service, I know that FMCA had this benefit for it's members. The owner of the family in need of the service was expected to reimburse the volunteer driver for his expenses to get to and home from the service. They also had an optional insurance type program that covered just what you are asking about. I don't recall the amount of the premium however.

If this offer helps. Should you need me, I would help you out.

I am qualified, experienced, and licensed. I've owned 40' pusher motor homes, 40' 5th wheels, comfortable in anything from a F150 to a Kenworth. And don't get lost too often.

2015 Day/Nights Camped 5
2014 Day/Nights Camped 29
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:46 AM   #7

Here is the Good Sam Travel Assist paragraph dealing with the subject:

R/V Vehicle Return:

If you and your traveling companion aren't able to drive, Good Sam TravelAssist will send out a professional driver to get your vehicle home. Indeed, this is one of the most utilized benefits in the Good Sam TravelAssist program.

If you'd prefer, you can choose to have a friend or family member drive your vehicle home. In these cases, Good Sam TravelAssist will pay to bring them to your vehicle, reimburse for gas and tolls, as well as reimburse up to $100 per day for additional covered expenses.

As you see, this sounds pretty darn good, and yes, it's a medical insurance. My rig is nothing unusual in size, but it's still pushing 60' from the front of truck to rear of trailer; longer and larger than something my wife wants to drive.

Medically, we're both in excellent condition, but if I was to fall and break a hip or leg, or some other injury that prevented my driving the rig home, then the Travel Assist would be peace of mind, if nothing more.

Have any of you had actual experience where you've used this insurance, whether for this situation, or other covered area?

Thanks again for your input!

Old 01-08-2014, 09:46 AM   #8

Wow, that's pretty cool. I wonder how Good Sams handles the case where the wife is medically fine, but just doesn't know how or doesn't want to drive the setup. I'd hope they don't weasel out says that the wife is able to.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:12 AM   #9

That's been my thought, too, dpendydad. If true, that would defeat the value for me. Looks like I'll need to place a call to find out.

Old 01-08-2014, 10:25 AM   #10

I just called their 888 number, and the call was answered quickly. I explained that my primary interest in this type of insurance was the feature where, if I were injured and couldn't drive, the vehicle would be driven home for me. I also asked, very specifically, if, since my wife is a licensed driver, the obligation would fall on her, even though she had never driven something as large as our current rig.

Without hesitation, the lady replied, "Her welfare is as important to us as yours, and we would provide a driver to return your truck and trailer to your home address, at no charge to you. Further, we would provide two paid airline tickets for you and your wife, if needed, to return you two home safely."

Wow! That's the peace of mind I was looking for! Thanks to all who added their input!

Tags
good sam, travel