Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2014, 01:18 PM   #1

Good Sam Travel Assist

I received my Good Sam Roadside Assistance renewal notice, but am debating continuation. What I'm really after is coverage that would provide peace of mind for my wife if I was unable to drive the truck and trailer home, following a medical situation, for example.

It appears that the Good Sam Travel Assist coverage does cover this type of situation. I searched the archives on this forum, and found a bit of info, but nothing conclusive.

For those of you who have, or have used the Travel Assist insurance, are you pleased with the coverage?

My auto and trailer policies cover most everything else, but nothing for providing a driver in the event I was unable.

Thanks for your ideas and input!

2016 Coachman Leprechaun, 319DS, Motorhome, Dodge Durango Toad
Badlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:22 PM   #2

Good Sams is really good for handling larger trailers. I found out that others could not handle my truck and trailer.
'07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Diesel 4x4
Why I got into RVing & More Fun
ng2951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:08 PM   #3

Thank you, ng2951, I appreciate the feedback. The part that really interested me was having someone to pull the rig for us, in the event we were on the road with it, and I was unable to drive. My wife doesn't mind pulling in a straight line, but doesn't want the cornering or backing.

I realize that it would be driven to the nearest campground, or other approved location, and that alone would be a Godsend. Once unhitched, she could haul me home in the truck!

Have a good one!

Old 01-07-2014, 05:15 PM   #4
Always Learning

I've honestly never heard of such a service. Doesn't mean they don't exist- just that I don't know of it.

I know that OldCoot has talked about having a plan to fly one of his sons in if he's ever incapacitated to get his rig home.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:28 PM   #5

Good Sam Travel Assist is for handling medical emergencies for RVers on the road. I get mailings all the time for this plan. I'll probably look into this the next time I get something in the mail.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:06 PM   #6

Some individual clubs off this service, I know that FMCA had this benefit for it's members. The owner of the family in need of the service was expected to reimburse the volunteer driver for his expenses to get to and home from the service. They also had an optional insurance type program that covered just what you are asking about. I don't recall the amount of the premium however.

If this offer helps. Should you need me, I would help you out.

I am qualified, experienced, and licensed. I've owned 40' pusher motor homes, 40' 5th wheels, comfortable in anything from a F150 to a Kenworth. And don't get lost too often.

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
American Eagle 40', Bounder 38' tag axle
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:46 AM   #7

Here is the Good Sam Travel Assist paragraph dealing with the subject:

R/V Vehicle Return:

If you and your traveling companion aren't able to drive, Good Sam TravelAssist will send out a professional driver to get your vehicle home. Indeed, this is one of the most utilized benefits in the Good Sam TravelAssist program.

If you'd prefer, you can choose to have a friend or family member drive your vehicle home. In these cases, Good Sam TravelAssist will pay to bring them to your vehicle, reimburse for gas and tolls, as well as reimburse up to $100 per day for additional covered expenses.

As you see, this sounds pretty darn good, and yes, it's a medical insurance. My rig is nothing unusual in size, but it's still pushing 60' from the front of truck to rear of trailer; longer and larger than something my wife wants to drive.

Medically, we're both in excellent condition, but if I was to fall and break a hip or leg, or some other injury that prevented my driving the rig home, then the Travel Assist would be peace of mind, if nothing more.

Have any of you had actual experience where you've used this insurance, whether for this situation, or other covered area?

Thanks again for your input!

Old 01-08-2014, 09:46 AM   #8
Always Learning

Wow, that's pretty cool. I wonder how Good Sams handles the case where the wife is medically fine, but just doesn't know how or doesn't want to drive the setup. I'd hope they don't weasel out says that the wife is able to.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:12 AM   #9

That's been my thought, too, dpendydad. If true, that would defeat the value for me. Looks like I'll need to place a call to find out.

Old 01-08-2014, 10:25 AM   #10

I just called their 888 number, and the call was answered quickly. I explained that my primary interest in this type of insurance was the feature where, if I were injured and couldn't drive, the vehicle would be driven home for me. I also asked, very specifically, if, since my wife is a licensed driver, the obligation would fall on her, even though she had never driven something as large as our current rig.

Without hesitation, the lady replied, "Her welfare is as important to us as yours, and we would provide a driver to return your truck and trailer to your home address, at no charge to you. Further, we would provide two paid airline tickets for you and your wife, if needed, to return you two home safely."

Wow! That's the peace of mind I was looking for! Thanks to all who added their input!

Old 01-08-2014, 10:36 AM   #11

I'm so glad you started this thread badlands. I recently was diagnosed with coronary heart disease and last month had a stent placed in an artery of my heart. I think I'll get this insurance since my wife won't drive our truck with our fifth wheel in tow. If you break down the cost over the 7 months of the year we travel it's pretty cheap insurance.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 01-08-2014, 10:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badlands View Post
I just called their 888 number, and the call was answered quickly. I explained that my primary interest in this type of insurance was the feature where, if I were injured and couldn't drive, the vehicle would be driven home for me. I also asked, very specifically, if, since my wife is a licensed driver, the obligation would fall on her, even though she had never driven something as large as our current rig.

Without hesitation, the lady replied, "Her welfare is as important to us as yours, and we would provide a driver to return your truck and trailer to your home address, at no charge to you. Further, we would provide two paid airline tickets for you and your wife, if needed, to return you two home safely."

Wow! That's the peace of mind I was looking for! Thanks to all who added their input!
Thanks for providing that info. Probably helped a lot of people who needed to know.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:04 AM   #13

I have had this ins. for a couple of years. Never had to use it, but "just in case" it seems to be great idea. Not that much for what it can do for you and keep the worry of a family member or friend from having to try and get your rig somewhere, esp if they have not driven it or something similar.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:06 AM   #14
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
I'm so glad you started this thread badlands. I recently was diagnosed with coronary heart disease and last month had a stent placed in an artery of my heart. I think I'll get this insurance since my wife won't drive our truck with our fifth wheel in tow. If you break down the cost over the 7 months of the year we travel it's pretty cheap insurance.
This is an awesome thread and pretty awesome coverage.

Even if a wife WILL drive the truck- it doesn't mean she should be mentally if you're incapacitated with a health issue.

When we were in Florida, we were alerted to a neighboring camper. The husband had lost all of his energy and couldn't get out of the motorhome to get to the toad/truck to go to the hospital. We assisted with getting him dressed and out and into the truck. I tried to talk the wife out of doing the driving as she was clearly distraught. I would have gladly driven their vehicle or mine to help them get safely to the hospital together. (She made it, as far as I know and a few days later, the motorhome disappeared- she said her son was going to come pick it up.)

Funny part to it- she shares the name, Shirley Temple Black. When we were introducing ourselves to the gentleman and explaining what we were going to do- she made a big production out of telling us her name. It was cute.

Anyway, thanks badlands for making the call and getting clarification!
Old 01-08-2014, 11:49 AM   #15

You're all welcome, and thanks for your input!

Old 06-14-2014, 08:34 AM   #16
Love My Sunseeker

I want to weigh in on this.

I have had it for three years.

The first year I bought it, I broke my foot while on a camp hosting trip in a state that wasn't my home state. I called to see if I could claim benefits to get someone to drive my RV home for me, didn't want to drive and set up with a broken foot.

I was told I had to be in a hospital for a WEEK in order to claim benefits. I wasn't hospitalized.

I was so mad I went on Twitter and blasted. I got a Good Sam Rep to say, "oh, wait a minute" and that kind of stuff. But when push came to shove, they still wouldn't do anything for me. I guess since I still COULD drive.... but the problem was, trying to set up or take down.

Or, they would pay for a companion to drive. Well, I didn't have anyone that could get off work to come to my aid. I wanted to HIRE a professional driver to take my RV home. No, they won't pay for that.

I got nothing from it. I still keep it, I haven't cancelled it.

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 10:30 AM   #17
Love My Sunseeker

They just sent me some updated information.

Regarding pets, they will (happily) arrange for pet housing and pet return, but they won't pay for it, it's at YOUR expense. This upset me. These costs should be part of the deal! Since it's at YOUR expense, they probably will get the most expensive one they can find, since it's not THEIR cost, after all.

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 01:03 PM   #18

I realize this was posted in 2012 but the Good Sam Travel Assist just transported our camper from NY back to Wisconsin and arraged tickets for us to fly home. I am so grateful that we had this.
Mimi23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 01:42 PM   #19

Thanks for posting your experience Mimi23. I hope whatever issue caused you to use this wasn't too terribly bad.

I just renewed our Travel Assist and hopefully I'll never have to use it.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 10-07-2016, 01:48 PM   #20
On the road again...

I have had this coverage for some time now, thinking that I was covered for the unexpected, but DXSMac's story is causing me to have some doubts. I'd better go look at the fine print. I would love to hear from anyone who has had occasion to actually use this policy in the real world. So far I've been pleased with my GS roadside, I would be disappointed to learn that the Travel assist is a trick policy.
MMMH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
good sam, travel