Old 07-28-2014, 11:25 AM   #1
Site Team

Good Sam Travel Assist - Actual Medical Coverage?

I've searched and read all the threads on here about GS's TravelAssist, and they all tout the benefit of being able to get you, your family and your rig home in the event of a medical emergency, but they're a little elusive about anything else they might cover.

They call themselves Medical Coverage, but do they actually cover any of the medical expenses? As a Canadian who often travels to the US, having proper medical coverage is something of a concern. I have out of country coverage through my work, since I work for a US based company, but my family has no coverage right now when we're outside of Ontario.

At their introductory rate of $79.99/year, I'd be tempted to go with this coverage, if it is in fact a medical coverage. Unfortunately, they just seem to say that all the details about what is or isn't covered will be available in the plan documents after you pay and sign up.

The last thing I want is to have to run one of my kids to a hospital in the states for whatever reason, rack up thousands of dollars in charges, then be told by this insurance they don't need to cover anything because I can drive home.

So anybody who has this plan, can you provide some information about what they cover aside from the "get you home" feature?

Thanks
Mike

Old 07-28-2014, 01:27 PM   #2

Perhaps you got the same mailing I got on Friday?

Anyway, in the section entitled "What isn't covered", it explicitly states that it is NOT a substitute for medical insurance. Seems they cover a lot of support services around it but not the actual medical care.

From http://www.goodsamtravelassist.com/benefits.aspx:

"Good Sam TravelAssist is not medical insurance. While you will be supported with the aforementioned services, your regular health insurance will cover the costs of your medical care. To be eligible for these benefits, your trip must be for reasons other than medical and travel must be outside of your daily routine."

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:31 PM   #3
Site Team

Alright, thanks for clarifying. It didn't cover that in any of the papers I got but I suspected as much.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:51 PM   #4

It was about half-way down on the right side of one of the pages of the multi-page pamphlet that starts with the sob story... either page 3 or 5.

Old 07-28-2014, 02:59 PM   #5
Site Team

Ah, so it does. Second to last paragraph on Page 5. That's what I get when I speed read the large pamphlet.

I glossed over that one due the first paragraph in that section that talked about having to review the official plan description carefully for full terms, benefits and conditions. Then that was followed by something about being on a trip, so as I hit that last paragraph I took in that it's not a replacement for normal medical coverage, which I interpreted as "Home" vs "Away".
Old 07-28-2014, 03:51 PM   #6

You've got to consider that there's no way any business could offer medical insurance for $80/yr let alone $80/month or even $80/week - not in the U.S. and not even in Canada. The potential outlays are just astronomical. Much easier to control costs when you're only providing support services and even with most of those, parts and labor are not included.

Old 07-28-2014, 04:08 PM   #7

Hi,

More generally, an early comment in the original post reflects the reason why I don't have Good Sam coverage of any type.

Repeatedly, I have tried to get them to send me a copy of actual policy documents, so I can review them and compare with my existing coverages. They say that all I need to know is on the web site. But I say that when it comes to filing a claim, the policy itself is what will determine what they pay me -- not the contents of the brochure in the mail, or of a web site.

So until I can review actual coverage documents before I pay, I'll not be buying from them.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
Old 07-28-2014, 04:16 PM   #8
Site Team

Yeah, but there's a difference between full medical coverage, and out of country supplemental coverage. I just ran quick quote with blue cross for out of country coverage, and they came back with a price of $125 for my family of 4 for something called "Summertime Blue Travel Medical Plan".

(Aside: I'll need to look further into that. Even $125 is reasonable for some piece of mind.)

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 08-01-2014, 08:55 AM   #9

It helps to line up medical services up but you have to pay for all the actual charges. I bought it this year and I am a little disappointed what it covers. Didn't realize how unnecessary it really was

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2012 Crusader 290RLT
2010 Ford F-250 King Cab Diesel
Harley Davidson Edition
jriddering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 02:14 PM   #10

We went to Canada last year and Eastern Europe this Spring. I looked into travel insurance for my wife, who is on social security disability with a supplement policy.

Her SS supplement will cover her when she's out of the U.S. Had she not had the supplement, we would have been looking for travel insurance that's slanted toward medical coverages.

I'm on my company's retiree insurance, and I'm covered worldwide.

Tags
cover, good sam, travel