Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2017, 06:50 AM   #1

Good Sam Travel Assist Program

I'm looking for anyone who has had any experience with the Good Sam Travel Assist program.
This is not the Roadside Assistance program but rather the one that would assist in the case of a medical emergency while on the road.
We are thinking about signing up for it but can't seem to find very much info online from people who have it and have had to use it.
Looking for Pros and Cons.
Any input would be appreciated.
Roorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 07:06 AM   #2

I'd recommend calling 911. Your health insurance supports any emergency.
911Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 05:47 PM   #3

Except, getting medical air lifted, or getting your trailer home, or your family, for the money jump on it if you e an think you may need it.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 05:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911Fire View Post
I'd recommend calling 911. Your health insurance supports any emergency.
Obviously you didn't look into the benefits of the GS Travel Assist before you posted. I bought the travel assist because my wife doesn’t do any of the towing. For me, the Good Sam Travel Assist is about getting our fifth wheel home should I have a medical emergency or die while traveling. I bought this after having heart issue and a stent put it. 911 ain’t gonna help me get the RV home.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 06:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roorider View Post
I'm looking for anyone who has had any experience with the Good Sam Travel Assist program.
This is not the Roadside Assistance program but rather the one that would assist in the case of a medical emergency while on the road.
We are thinking about signing up for it but can't seem to find very much info online from people who have it and have had to use it.
Looking for Pros and Cons.
Any input would be appreciated.
Find a better reputable program, they do exist, just not Good Sam’s. My brother’s diesel had a material engine issue near Billings. They towed his truck to the nearest diesel mechanic, but refused to tow his fiver, saying “the rest area was a safe location”. When he called them back to let them know that his truck would be down for at least a week, they still refused to tow from the rest area. He did so at his own expense and then had to pay to tow his truck to a GM dealer who could actually repair it. I do note that you are excluding the roadside assistance, but his experience does lend itself to the credibility of the Good Sam's programs.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 06:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgray View Post
Find a better reputable program, they do exist, just not Good Sam’s. My brother’s diesel had a material engine issue near Billings. They towed his truck to the nearest diesel mechanic, but refused to tow his fiver, saying “the rest area was a safe location”. When he called them back to let them know that his truck would be down for at least a week, they still refused to tow from the rest area. He did so at his own expense and then had to pay to tow his truck to a GM dealer who could actually repair it. I do note that you are excluding the roadside assistance, but his experience does lend itself to the credibility of the Good Sam's programs.
Read the original post again. He is not asking about roadside assistance.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 08-23-2017, 06:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
Read the original post again. He is not asking about roadside assistance.
I edited my post....see last sentence you are fast get a life.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 06:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
Except, getting medical air lifted, or getting your trailer home, or your family, for the money jump on it if you e an think you may need it.
Your insurance will cover medivac. The issue people run into is when their health insurance doesn't have a cap, so 200k in trauma services plus a 20k flight adds up when you owe 20%. I'm guessing good Sam also has a cap on what they'd pay for medical, since your health insurance should be footing the bill. The rest I'd assume you rent a car or fly your family home.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:44 PM   #9

Quote:
I think it might help with pets, too, if you need it.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 06:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
Obviously you didn't look into the benefits of the GS Travel Assist before you posted. I bought the travel assist because my wife doesn’t do any of the towing. For me, the Good Sam Travel Assist is about getting our fifth wheel home should I have a medical emergency or die while traveling. I bought this after having heart issue and a stent put it. 911 ain’t gonna help me get the RV home.
"Obviously" lol. Correct health insurance doesn't help get your rv home, but there's plenty of services that'll tow it back for you. I guess I'd rather pay the 1k out of pocket for the extreme circumstance rather than pay for insurance for that type of stuff.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:50 PM   #11

Quote:
"Obviously" lol. Correct health insurance doesn't help get your rv home, but there's plenty of services that'll tow it back for you. I guess I'd rather pay the 1k out of pocket for the extreme circumstance rather than pay for insurance for that type of stuff.
I'd rather just have my wife call a phone number on our member card and things will be taken care of for her. I'm doing this for my wife, not for myself.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 08-24-2017, 02:29 AM   #12

Quote:
To each there own, but I would rather pay the 100.00 or so a year for peace of mind for my family, this would be a stressful time in one's life if god forbid you needed it. Also there is NO insurance that I know off that would Medivac you to another hospital without payment for that service....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 07:14 AM   #13

Quote:
To each there own, but I would rather pay the 100.00 or so a year for peace of mind for my family, this would be a stressful time in one's life if god forbid you needed it. Also there is NO insurance that I know off that would Medivac you to another hospital without payment for that service....
I think we're thinking of two separate scenarios. I'm a flight nurse on a hospital based helo program. Your insurance will always pay the bill if it was medically necessary for you to be moved from one hospital to another. Such as you've had a stroke or mi and the hospital you're currently at does not have a cath lab or a trauma center. They'll also pay the bill for you to be lifted from the scene of the crash. However where you're correct is that if you have a broken femur and are being treated at a hospital in Texas that can handle you're situation, then no they won't pay to fly you home via jet just to be closers. A close friend of mine works on a private medical jet and they require 5k down, and it was another 4K after the mission was completed to go about 400 miles.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:28 AM   #14

Quote:
I think we're thinking of two separate scenarios. I'm a flight nurse on a hospital based helo program. Your insurance will always pay the bill if it was medically necessary for you to be moved from one hospital to another. Such as you've had a stroke or mi and the hospital you're currently at does not have a cath lab or a trauma center. They'll also pay the bill for you to be lifted from the scene of the crash. However where you're correct is that if you have a broken femur and are being treated at a hospital in Texas that can handle you're situation, then no they won't pay to fly you home via jet just to be closers. A close friend of mine works on a private medical jet and they require 5k down, and it was another 4K after the mission was completed to go about 400 miles.
Great info. And thank you for doing what you do.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
good sam, travel