Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2017, 09:10 AM   #21
peaceparson

We have never purchased any kind of travel or roadside assistance plan. In 15 years we have had trouble on the road only twice. In western North Dakota, ran over a bungee strap in the highway. Punctured a tire on our SUV tow-car. Roadside tire on back. we called 911, and a dispatcher connected us with a mechanic who came out to change the tire for us and direct us to a repair shop. Deputy lined his patrol car up to divert traffic to the other lane. No problem, and the cost was very minimal. Other time was on the way back from ND. Had a blowout on the PUP in a construction zone, so had to drive it out. When I could pull over, I called 911 and again, was connected to a mechanic who came out and changed the tire and directed us to a nearby repair shop. Cost was less than a subscription to AAA or some other roadside assistance program.
peaceparson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 01:08 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA Dan View Post
I can't imagine you're referring to the Good Sam Travel Assist or Roadside Assistance. They left me abandoned in a Walmart parking lot. I called and asked if they would pay for hotel, "sorry sir we don't cover that". What about a rental car to get me to my destination? "sorry sir that isn't covered either." All they do is get you off the highway and bring you to the nearest Walmart. Much easier to just pay a wrecker for that. I'd really like to hear from someone who has used the Travel Assist and had a medical emergency. Did they leave you at Walmart to use the OTC pharmacy for medical care? .
Regarding Roadside Assistance I believe that your negative experience was the local tow company and not GS. Just 2 weeks ago I blew a water pump in the open desert. Far from anything. Had cell service and called GS, It took a while to get a flat bed large enough for my TV. But they came through. They didn't leave me until we had a garage to leave the truck. This was late on a Saturday afternoon.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:00 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtony2 View Post
Join FMCA and travel assist is included in your dues.....The rule that you have to own a MH is suppose to be changed....Dues are less than or about
the same plus you get many other benefits..

gtony2

FMCA? What is this?

2017 Vibe 268RKS
2018 Ram 2500
pbbandpab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 07:10 PM   #24

Seems to be a lot of confusion between travel assist and roadside assist they are two entirely different products. Travel assist is for medical related issues and roadside assist is for equipment issues.
walljammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:59 AM   #25

I get that they are two entirely different products but they are administered by the same folks - Good Sam. Correct? Y/N? I added my negative experience because if they can't get the roadside assist correct, why would the travel assist be any different? Would you trust them with your life in a medical emergency if they can't even be nice on the phone when you call? Sorry but I am saving my money and calling 911. It's makes way more sense to me.
DNA Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 10:06 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rskeans View Post
Regarding Roadside Assistance I believe that your negative experience was the local tow company and not GS. Just 2 weeks ago I blew a water pump in the open desert. Far from anything. Had cell service and called GS, It took a while to get a flat bed large enough for my TV. But they came through. They didn't leave me until we had a garage to leave the truck. This was late on a Saturday afternoon.
This was a Saturday about 5 pm about a mile from 3 major cities. If they had issues they should have gotten someone else. Actually the tow driver was really nice and suggested I should just have called them directly. He said they hate dealing with insurance companies. The guy even argued with the agent about leaving me stranded at Walmart. He said that was what the order said, but he didn't feel right leaving us stranded like that. Anyway, I feel the tow guy was very helpful and went out of his way to help, GS did not.

I think the take home message is GS service is not consistent. Some people have great experiences and some people don't. My customer service agent was so rude to me in that situation. I did nothing to piss her off, she just had a serious chip on her shoulder making me feel like I was the problem.
DNA Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
good sam, travel