Old 12-04-2010, 06:49 PM   #31
Infractee

I agree, most blowouts are tires not to proper pressure and/or already damaged from dry rot and knucklehead owners not even looking at them.
Road hazards are a concern as well but I am sure the majority of massive failures are overloaded/underserviced tires.

I agree with Mtnguy, a TPMS system is very inexpensive compared to the damage one blown out tire can do to a TT. I am getting one for our new camper for christmas.

At the VERY least everybody should have those cheap valve stem caps that show green if the pressure is good and red if it is low, just so you can do your walkaround before each day and have an idea that at least there is air in the tires.

Old 12-04-2010, 06:59 PM   #32
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by donn View Post
OK, one last question. What percentage of ST tires have problems vs LT tires on trailers?

How could anybody know that in a factual way? Other than anecdotal? Maybe if you worked at a tire CSI type lab, where you could have hundreds of samples to inspect from both types, then try to determine the actual cause of the failure, be it servicing, road hazard, dryrot, etc. etc.
And then, you would have to know additional parameters, weight of TT, speed at time of failure, age of tire, if the WDH was setup correctly, if the owner loaded the trailer correctly or had a serious imbalace.

You would probably bebetter off arguing something slightly easier like, gas vs diesel, ford vs gm, should Pete Rose be in the HOF, etc. etc.

Old 12-04-2010, 07:00 PM   #33
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
OK, one last question. What percentage of ST tires have problems vs LT tires on trailers?
No idea. When you find the reference, please post for everyone.

If you want a "made up statistic," however, several members (no names please) will be happy to help you out!

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:33 PM   #34

I am glad you finally admit that there is no proof of your claims that ST tires are superior on trailers over LT tires. Now maybe you will quit telling people that ST tires are the only thing that should be used on trailers. No scientific results. But from reading the posts here and on other forums it is abundantly clear to me that ST tires have major problems across the board on trailers. I can find literally hundreds of posts about blow out experiences. Comparing that to LT tire failures on RV's is in the range of 50 to 1.
Like I said before Michelin, BF Goodrich and Hankook all have LT tires that are rated for trailer service. All of which are available nationwide. Cannot say the same for ST tires in sizes for my fiver.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:33 AM   #35

Quote:
I am glad you finally admit that there is no proof of your claims that ST tires are superior on trailers over LT tires. Now maybe you will quit telling people that ST tires are the only thing that should be used on trailers. No scientific results. But from reading the posts here and on other forums it is abundantly clear to me that ST tires have major problems across the board on trailers. I can find literally hundreds of posts about blow out experiences. Comparing that to LT tire failures on RV's is in the range of 50 to 1.
Like I said before Michelin, BF Goodrich and Hankook all have LT tires that are rated for trailer service. All of which are available nationwide. Cannot say the same for ST tires in sizes for my fiver.
You put LTs on your trailer and I'll put STs on my trailer, and we will all go off and camp nice and friendly. Lou is providing as much factual data as possible, not opinions. If you are convinced that your statements are true so be it. Please, lets be civil. In the state of LA, the tire must state "For Trailer Use Only" on the sidewall. A tire vendor can not sell or mount a tire other than a trailer rated tire knowing it is going on a trailer. I am sure each state is different but I worry more about what my insurance company says because they are most likely to be involved if there is a major blow out. Why not check with the carrier of your insurance.
kbrown1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:00 AM   #36

Quote:
But from reading the posts here and on other forums it is abundantly clear to me that ST tires have major problems across the board on trailers. I can find literally hundreds of posts about blow out experiences. Comparing that to LT tire failures on RV's is in the range of 50 to 1.
I would guess that the ratio of trailers that have ST vs LT tires is 50 to 1 so you would see more posts talking about blowouts so the percentage is probably about the same. Go to a truck forum and you will find more people talking about LT blowouts than P rated tires but you can not a say a P rated tire is better.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:30 AM   #37
Site Team - Lou

I would like to add one final comment and I am done. I really would like to discover that a light truck tire of similar load range is "better" or even "the same as" an equivalent ST coded trailer tire. I would surely buy the LT tire since the LT tire is WAY cheaper than the ST tire from the same manufacturer.

Ever stop wonder why?

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 12-05-2010, 08:43 AM   #38

Tire Safety
If you can open this it will give you some insight.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:19 AM   #39

Tire Information World Home Page

And here is another..............
Old 12-05-2010, 09:27 AM   #40
Site Team - Lou

Awesome MH videos from Michelin

Michelin North America RV Videos and Demos Page

Michelin North America RV Videos and Demos Page

Michelin North America RV Reference Materials Page

http://www.goodyear.com/rv/pdf/marat...nfo_032806.pdf

Why ST tires.
Trailer Tires

Well I really have been looking and have not found a SINGLE instance where a tire manufacturer or dealer has recommended Light Truck Tires be installed on a trailer.
Motor homes; yes. Trailers (TT or 5th wheels); No. Still looking though.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW