Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Michelin North America RV Videos and Demos Page

Michelin North America RV Videos and Demos Page

Michelin North America RV Reference Materials Page

http://www.goodyear.com/rv/pdf/marat...nfo_032806.pdf

Why ST tires.
Trailer Tires

Well I really have been looking and have not found a SINGLE instance where a tire manufacturer or dealer has recommended Light Truck Tires be installed on a trailer.
Motor homes; yes. Trailers (TT or 5th wheels); No. Still looking though.
I, was well use the proper tires for the my equipment and there are reasons for this. ST tires will stand up to the pivet action that is needed when making tight turns with campers and trailer and this has to do with two or more axles that are close together. The weakest link on a tire is the side walls, if the side wall gives out then the tire will pop off of the rim, buy using LT's on a camper or trail is an unsafe act just to save a buck, this is another way of cheating live not only those who do this but those that are around it as well.

Old 12-05-2010, 10:04 AM   #42

Trailer Tire Facts - Discount Tire

Why Use An "ST" Tire
  • "ST" tires feature materials and construction to meet the higher load requirements and demands of trailering.
  • The polyester cords are bigger than they would be for a comparable "P" or "LT" tire.
  • The steel cords have a larger diameter and greater tensile strength to meet the additional load requirements.
  • "ST" tire rubber compounds contain more chemicals to resist weather and ozone cracking.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:34 AM   #43
Site Team - Lou

I tracked down the source

OK, after most of the night and morning scouring forums that seemed to quote a "online source" that used exactly the same verbiage that "proved" that the "LT" in LT tires means "Light Truck/Trailer."

I finally found one post that mentioned Eastern Marine Trailer Supply as the authoritative source for this position. I found the same words in over 50 posts about why LT tires are "better" than ST tires because of that "higher reserve capacity" of LT tires. Meaning that LT tires are more likely to be overloaded occasionally, whereas ST tires carry almost the same load all the time.

Trailer Parts Superstore - Heavy-Duty LT Truck-Trailer Tire & Rim

I have not found a single manufacturer who makes this claim.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:50 PM   #44
Infractee

From the discount tire link phoneman posted above;

this may explain some of the confusion some people may have had about seeing an LT on their trailer tire?

Trailer Tire Applications
  • Trailer tires are designed for use on trailer axle positions only. They are not built to handle the loads applied to, or the traction required by, drive or steering axles.
  • An "LT" designation on a trailer tire size specifies load range only. It is not designed for use on light trucks.
  • Do not mount "ST" or "LT" trailer tires on passenger cars or light trucks.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:20 AM   #45
Site Team - Lou

Do the LT series of trailer tire say "For Trailer Use Only" on the side?

Anyone who has a TT or 5th wheel with OEM LT tires could you "weigh in"

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 12-06-2010, 08:36 AM   #46

As I have said many times before, my 13,350 pound fiver same from the factory with LT235 85R16 tires. I have never had an issue with them.
Michelin, BF Goodrich and Hankook all make LT tires that are factory approved for trailer service.
ST tires are Special Trailer
LT tires are Light Truck.
LT tires have a stiffer side wall and are perfectly acceptable for trailer duty in most cases.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:22 AM   #47

http://www.trailerlife.com/output.cfm?id=2355013

I just checked this site out and you can use LT tires instead of ST. Check out the link and read it all.

I JUST TRIED TO PULL UP THIS LINK BUT IT WILL NOT COME UP HERE ON THE FORUM.....i FOUND IT BY USING GOOGLE....I was able to open the link by typing in trailerlife 101 on in the top bar
Old 12-06-2010, 11:26 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by donn View Post
LT tires have a stiffer side wall and are perfectly acceptable for trailer duty in most cases.
This is the reason ST tires are a better choice. The sidewalls will flex more when you make sharp turns and twist the tires. This is typically how the belts get broken inside the tire. The sidewall is too stiff to flex.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:34 PM   #49
Site Team - Lou

I fixed your link. It should work now.

I read the article carefully and it does indeed say:

"So are ST tires your only choice? Not at all. It is possible, and practical, to use automotive light-truck (LT) radial tires on your trailer, provided you keep the load rating in mind. LT tires are also designed for heavy-duty use on pickups and such, and are fine alternatives to ST tires."

However it then goes on to say:

"If you get a flat that destroys a tire such that it can’t be repaired, make sure that the replacement tire is of the same design (whether ST or LT, for example) and size as the original, and has a load rating that matches or exceeds the rating of your original tires."

So from that statement I guess that "If the manufacturer says it should have an ST tire based on design of the camper (number of axles and location) there is enough twisting to require an ST tire (since they are much more expensive and FR would NEVER put something on the camper that added cost if there was a cheaper alternative).

So if your OEM camper came with LT tires, then it is OK to replace them with LT tires. If it came with ST tires you have to replace them with ST tires. Did I get the gist of that article right?

BTW the rest of the article was quite good. Thank you.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 12-06-2010, 06:44 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
I fixed your link. It should work now.
Thanks herk7769 for your help......