Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2015, 08:14 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper77 View Post
Good afternoon a couple months ago we got our first 5th wheel a 2012 V-cross and we were hauling it with a Chevy, but the Chevy died and we just got a Ford F-250 and it came with a Gooseneck in the bed and we are having a problem with finding somebody to put our 5th wheel in the truck. Should we convert to a gooseneck or try to get the 5th wheel hitch installed? Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
A couple of questions.
What yr is your F250?
Is the gooseneck welded in?

The bed rails for our Reese 5th just bolted in our 08 F250, 4 existing bolts out 4 longer bolts in, no cutting and NO welding.
I kept the short bolts and took the bed rails out (sold hitch/rails on craigslist) when we sold the Ford.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:44 PM   #22

^^^^^ True about hooking up,but thats why you have a wife for a spotter! ^^^^^
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 08:46 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by abjb View Post
A couple of questions.
What yr is your F250?
Is the gooseneck welded in?

The bed rails for our Reese 5th just bolted in our 08 F250, 4 existing bolts out 4 longer bolts in, no cutting and NO welding.
I kept the short bolts and took the bed rails out (sold hitch/rails on craigslist) when we sold the Ford.
I have the rails too. If you have the reese rails,you can put either a goose neck ball, or a 5 er hitch in with just 4 pins.I have 8 bolts holding my rails in. They (the bolts) go thru the box floor and attach to 4 brackets that I first bolted,then welded to the frame.If you have air r`ide,you need to fab up an offset bracket to clear the bag brackets.The ones supplied in the reese rail kit will not work.

AGBG, I hope your rails are not bolted to only the box floor?
Old 11-04-2015, 09:19 AM   #24

Ranch hand
2012 40' Sanibel
Speed limit 65 , Fords & Chevys , do your best
47chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 09:56 AM   #25
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by burse View Post
Look at the Andersen Hitch!!!
I believe you mean the Andersen Ultimate Fifth that utilizes a flat, high mounted, king pin adapter. Not the Andersen Ranch Hand which is like other similar "Snout" looking conversions. The only Snout design that appears to be acceptable for 5ers is the cushioned designed Reese Goosebox. My 5er is a BAL frame, not Lippert, I use the Andersen Ultimate Aluminum and it works well for me.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 12:46 PM   #26

After making phone calls to local rv shops, none of which would instal our 5th wheel, they told us they would put one in that we got from them- one of the place in fact is Camping World; the place we bought our camper from and the hitch was Boat n Rv in Hamburg,Pa and they said they put it in but refuse to return my calls. So after talking to my ford dealer they said they put it in and my truck goes in for service in December and we have it ready to go next year
casper77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 12:48 PM   #27

We thank you all for your input

2013 Ford F-250 SD
2012 V-cross
One year old lab/husky Caly
casper77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 01:04 PM   #28

There is a huge amount of leverage action on a gooseneck ball and post. Horse trailers and equipment trailers (I've had both) are made for this. Fifth wheel frames are not designed to resist all that induced torque through that lever action. I'm not saying it can't be done safely, but it won't be done on mine.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 05:44 PM   #29
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowrideHD View Post
There is a huge amount of leverage action on a gooseneck ball and post. Horse trailers and equipment trailers (I've had both) are made for this. Fifth wheel frames are not designed to resist all that induced torque through that lever action. I'm not saying it can't be done safely, but it won't be done on mine.
You are so right! That's why Andersen created the "Ultimate Fifth" as a better solution for fifth wheel frames (better than their Ranch Hand and similar long nose adapters). With the Ultimate, the ball that connects to the fifth wheel pin box is raised off the truck bed using a pyramid frame that basically connects without adding extension leverage (pretty much the same connection place as the traditional collar and plate).
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:21 AM   #30

Simple fix. Order a Reese Goosebox which uses the fifth airborne technology. It incorporates an airbag along with dual shock absorbers. This hitch makes towing a dream compared to the old regular fifth hitch we used. We went from heavy chucking at every expansion joint to a really smooth ride that has virtually zero chucking.
Old 01-28-2016, 02:14 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowrideHD View Post
Lippert endorses the use of the Reese GooseBox,they even own the company that makes them.Our trailer was changed over buy the dealer before it left the lot,so there could not be any "unauthorized modification " issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
Ram towing guide says I should have 3920 payload.
I lost a 1000lbs in payload?

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS

Tags
5th wheel, hitch, wheel