Old 03-24-2015, 10:24 AM   #1

Goshen weigh in

Did anyone have thier rig weighed at Goshen last year? Were they heplful? Cost?

Old 03-24-2015, 10:34 AM   #2

Did they have that service? Was it by axle or entire rig? I would be interested. I wanted to get the rig weighed at the north east FMCA rally last year and they did not bring the scales

Old 03-24-2015, 10:53 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
Did they have that service? Was it by axle or entire rig? I would be interested. I wanted to get the rig weighed at the north east FMCA rally last year and they did not bring the scales
They weighed each wheel. Iirc
Old 03-24-2015, 02:49 PM   #4
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Agreed. That's what I heard that they did.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Buzzard View Post
Did anyone have thier rig weighed at Goshen last year? Were they heplful? Cost?

I did - read on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post

Oh yeah Silver...read on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Correct Ron.

It's a pretty sophisticated "Weight Police" setup.

First thing they want you to do is go downtown and tank up. Also put anything in your TV that you normally carry (DW, FurKids, Real Kids <G>, Ice Chest, you get the picture)

Then they weigh your TV - this gets your normal payload weight. The portable scales they use allow them to give you not only PL weight but weight per tire.

You can get your TV weighed any time during the week when you sign up. You also sign up for a time block to get your full rig weighed when you leave.

When you leave, try prep your rig as it would be for the outbound leg of a trip (this probably means you have to go into Goshen and buy 5-6 cases of beer and all that BVTC you drank over the past week ) J/K! (Well not in Ron's Case )

You roll over to the scales and they weigh the whole enchilada! Then they input the numbers into their computer and you get a on-the-spot printout with all the important numbers - Tongue/Pin weight, GCWR, & Axel weight.

The weight police will discuss the numbers with you and if you are foggy on what all the acronyms above mean they will explain them to you. They will also bottom line you and tell you if you are overweight.

@ 3 weeks after the rally they will mail you a document that has more info than you ever thought you would have on the weight of your rig (EX: left-right axel weight distribution, front-rear weight distribution, TV back axel weight distribution & an analysis of how helpful a air bag system would be - this only scratches the surface. The report was 5 pages long )

They also give you a phone number to call where you can speak to someone about the report and discuss the findings.

So what were our results? We had been arguing for almost a year in the FRF that a 1/2T Pickup could not pull a 5er. There were a number of experienced RVers who said yes and a equal number who said no.

Well, the Weight Police said YES

...well sorta. We were 300# overweight. Considering we were carrying @700# of stuff we were dropping off in MI on the way home and all the loot we had bought in Shipshawana, AND the fact that I had a full FWT (I do not travel that way, but wanted to see what it would add) I figure we were more likely 1,000# UNDER-weight (and the weight police on site agreed).

They also recommended we go up a class from C rated tires to D rated tires. (which we did)

Our front-rear distribution was off - again probably because of a full FWT (rear) and the fact that we had all that stuff for Mom & Dad in MI piled on the couch and chairs in the LR. Still, the report suggested we raise our hitch, which was easy to do on a Reese - four bolts and it was a done deal!

Cost? $60.00 last year.
Worth it? What's peace of mind worth to you?

Will they be there this year? (Dunno - FROG Bob?)
If they are I DO wholeheartedly recommend you get your rig weighed!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:31 PM   #6
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
I don't want to know..... would have to quit making it work for us!!
Old 03-24-2015, 11:06 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

I would have to quit camping.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:27 AM   #8

This might be one way to get the wife to not pack all the clothes that she never ends up wearing and carries, JUST IN CASE.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:43 AM   #9

dblr you might find your TV is not up to the task

I have the same 5er and TV as Bama Bob but the 250 lbs (estimate) of tools and the cast iron cookware for the fire might put me over!
Old 03-25-2015, 07:57 AM   #10

We had the motorhome weight when leaving last year and found out we were good to go. That meant to the wife good to go shopping on the way home for more stuff. We had two outlet malls to pass on the way back home. Worth the $60.00 to be sure of the weights on each wheel.

FROG Member
FMCA Member #F438633 - Good Sam Life Member
Coachmens Owners Group Member
ResQfrog is offline   Reply With Quote