Old 02-27-2015, 01:36 PM   #1

Gotta Move to Michigan?!

Well, since I pretty much have gotten every questions I've ever had answered in this forum, thought I'd throw this one out there too.

Due to job requirements the DW and I are looking to move to Michigan. We're going to be in the Pontiac area.

Looking for some advice here on good/bad areas to look for. I've been told a couple of nice areas include Clarkston, Rochester Hills and West Bloomfield. We don't much care for HOA's, and would definitely prefer to keep our Class C at the house with us. Wouldn't be adverse to driving 45 minutes or so to work each day, if that meant we had a little bit of space....

Any thoughts or ideas out there from any Wolverines or Spartans?

Old 02-27-2015, 04:11 PM   #2

It's cold up here right now..... you sure about this? Welcome to Michigan. I have admired the area to the West of Pontiac, like Waterford and Highland. I say this because it seems to have a less dense population and there are some nice State recreation areas right there. Pontiac Lake rec area and Highland state rec area. Good mountain biking. Hiking. Camping.

Old 02-27-2015, 04:48 PM   #3
Campfire Master

The Clarkston and Lake Orion area might be your best bet if you want to avoid a HOA. West Bloomfield is an upscale area that you would have trouble keeping your rig on your property. Rochester Hills you will run into the same thing. I live in a neighboring community to Rochester Hills and I can't store mine at my house.

GM moved out of Pontiac years ago and left a ghost town behind. Waterford is a neighbor of Pontiac and isn't far behind. Further west to Highland or White Lake should be fine.

Also, the Washington Township and Romeo are nice too.

Good luck, and hope you find what you're looking for.

John
Old 02-27-2015, 06:34 PM   #4

There are several nice communities within a thirty minute commute of the Pontiac area. I would suggest researching and maybe contacting a local realtor. More areas are being built up utilizing planned unit developments, most have HOA's.

Another area of concern would be local ordinances which limit rv storage. In my area the rv must be behind your house and at least ten feet from property lines. Most communities around are the same. I wish you luck in your search.
mcnabbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 11:14 PM   #5

Do like most people and live up north and drive 1 hr to work. That way you are closer to real wilderness camping during the summer
I drive from north of flint to waterford everyday. Not a bad drive as I miss the traffic

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 11:39 PM   #6

Good luck in your search and welcome to "our neck of the woods". Hopefully you can find what you are looking for in the area. It's getting harder to get away from the HOAs in the Clarkston area as well.
Equal-i-zer Hitch
Nites Camped 2016 -25
Jimandchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 02:58 PM   #7

Been in MI since 07.. worked in Warren (Det Arsenal) then in Auburn Hills.. Wanted a place in the country.. and ended up out west in Livingston county.. Howell to be exact on near 4 acres. Warren was a 60 +/- mile run that took an hour (I96 & 696).. AH was only about 48, but still took an hour as it was just east/west on M59.. but lots of lights & burgs to get thru. We're on a dirt road and everyone from work who ever stopped by understood WHY we live out & away once they came out. Wildlife, lower crime, open space.. amenities not too far to get too, still can it the big-city stuff.. and for us, REALLY evenly spaced to downtown detroit, flint, lansing or ann arbor. Also discovered Flint airport a LOT easier to fly in/out of when needed. just LOVE IT! Added a full hook-up right after we moved in for our 36' TT.. (50/30/20A, dump, water, and sat tv if we want it in there). Place has a 40x50 pole barn that has 3 bays, it's own electric, half-bath and 2 offices in it. QUITE the man-cave!! and wouldn't have all this if we were 'in town'. I'm sure here's others similar .. but the rural life sure is better for us! (on a side note, we think we'll be selling if your interested!!)..
woody9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 03:07 PM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to chuckw5kav
Quote:
Originally Posted by edhawk View Post
It's cold up here right now..... you sure about this? Welcome to Michigan. I have admired the area to the West of Pontiac, like Waterford and Highland. I say this because it seems to have a less dense population and there are some nice State recreation areas right there. Pontiac Lake rec area and Highland state rec area. Good mountain biking. Hiking. Camping.
They have mountains in Michigan, tell me it ain't so
W5KAV
This years Camping 75 days
chuckw5kav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 03:21 PM   #9

Oxford / Metamora area North of Pontiac is nice. HOAs should not be a problem. Hills and woods.

xs1ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 04:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckw5kav View Post
They have mountains in Michigan, tell me it ain't so
Guess you never been to copper harbor.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote