Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2015, 01:36 PM   #1

Gotta Move to Michigan?!

Well, since I pretty much have gotten every questions I've ever had answered in this forum, thought I'd throw this one out there too.

Due to job requirements the DW and I are looking to move to Michigan. We're going to be in the Pontiac area.

Looking for some advice here on good/bad areas to look for. I've been told a couple of nice areas include Clarkston, Rochester Hills and West Bloomfield. We don't much care for HOA's, and would definitely prefer to keep our Class C at the house with us. Wouldn't be adverse to driving 45 minutes or so to work each day, if that meant we had a little bit of space....

Any thoughts or ideas out there from any Wolverines or Spartans?
Old 02-27-2015, 04:11 PM   #2

It's cold up here right now..... you sure about this? Welcome to Michigan. I have admired the area to the West of Pontiac, like Waterford and Highland. I say this because it seems to have a less dense population and there are some nice State recreation areas right there. Pontiac Lake rec area and Highland state rec area. Good mountain biking. Hiking. Camping.
edhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 04:48 PM   #3
Campfire Master

The Clarkston and Lake Orion area might be your best bet if you want to avoid a HOA. West Bloomfield is an upscale area that you would have trouble keeping your rig on your property. Rochester Hills you will run into the same thing. I live in a neighboring community to Rochester Hills and I can't store mine at my house.

GM moved out of Pontiac years ago and left a ghost town behind. Waterford is a neighbor of Pontiac and isn't far behind. Further west to Highland or White Lake should be fine.

Also, the Washington Township and Romeo are nice too.

Good luck, and hope you find what you're looking for.

John
AVid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:34 PM   #4

There are several nice communities within a thirty minute commute of the Pontiac area. I would suggest researching and maybe contacting a local realtor. More areas are being built up utilizing planned unit developments, most have HOA's.

Another area of concern would be local ordinances which limit rv storage. In my area the rv must be behind your house and at least ten feet from property lines. Most communities around are the same. I wish you luck in your search.
mcnabbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 11:14 PM   #5

Do like most people and live up north and drive 1 hr to work. That way you are closer to real wilderness camping during the summer
I drive from north of flint to waterford everyday. Not a bad drive as I miss the traffic

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 11:39 PM   #6

Good luck in your search and welcome to "our neck of the woods". Hopefully you can find what you are looking for in the area. It's getting harder to get away from the HOAs in the Clarkston area as well.
Jimandchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 02:58 PM   #7

Been in MI since 07.. worked in Warren (Det Arsenal) then in Auburn Hills.. Wanted a place in the country.. and ended up out west in Livingston county.. Howell to be exact on near 4 acres. Warren was a 60 +/- mile run that took an hour (I96 & 696).. AH was only about 48, but still took an hour as it was just east/west on M59.. but lots of lights & burgs to get thru. We're on a dirt road and everyone from work who ever stopped by understood WHY we live out & away once they came out. Wildlife, lower crime, open space.. amenities not too far to get too, still can it the big-city stuff.. and for us, REALLY evenly spaced to downtown detroit, flint, lansing or ann arbor. Also discovered Flint airport a LOT easier to fly in/out of when needed. just LOVE IT! Added a full hook-up right after we moved in for our 36' TT.. (50/30/20A, dump, water, and sat tv if we want it in there). Place has a 40x50 pole barn that has 3 bays, it's own electric, half-bath and 2 offices in it. QUITE the man-cave!! and wouldn't have all this if we were 'in town'. I'm sure here's others similar .. but the rural life sure is better for us! (on a side note, we think we'll be selling if your interested!!)..
woody9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 03:07 PM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to chuckw5kav
Quote:
Originally Posted by edhawk View Post
It's cold up here right now..... you sure about this? Welcome to Michigan. I have admired the area to the West of Pontiac, like Waterford and Highland. I say this because it seems to have a less dense population and there are some nice State recreation areas right there. Pontiac Lake rec area and Highland state rec area. Good mountain biking. Hiking. Camping.
They have mountains in Michigan, tell me it ain't so
W5KAV
Last years Camping 125 days
This years Camping 150 an still going
chuckw5kav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 03:21 PM   #9

Oxford / Metamora area North of Pontiac is nice. HOAs should not be a problem. Hills and woods.

xs1ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 04:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckw5kav View Post
Guess you never been to copper harbor.

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 04:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by xs1ve View Post
Oxford / Metamora area North of Pontiac is nice. HOAs should not be a problem. Hills and woods.
Definitely a couple nice areas, however the rush hour commute is a nightmare.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:42 PM   #12

Thanks everyone for the input. Getting out away from Pontiac sounds like just the ticket.

Woody9! How about I move next to you and you can help me get my RV setup in place? I'll provide the beer!
Old 02-28-2015, 07:21 PM   #13
Missing Link

IMO go north. Lake Orion, Oxford, Ortonville, Grand Blanc and Holly. All nice areas within a 45 min drive and slime chance of HOA's.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:01 PM   #14
2014 XLR 27HFS

My condolences. I grew up in Michigan. Beautiful place for 3-4 months a year with tons of camping, but winters are brutal.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:24 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckw5kav View Post
Yes they do. There is one in Auburn hills.

Oh sorry that's not a real mountain its a whole lot of Toronto garbage in one huge hill..

Sorry I really appreciate all of you in Michigan but could not resist.
Canadiancrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:28 PM   #16

Oh and that reminds me of this map.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	70469  
Canadiancrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:35 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiancrew View Post
Yes they do. There is one in Auburn hills.

Oh sorry that's not a real mountain its a whole lot of Toronto garbage in one huge hill..

Sorry I really appreciate all of you in Michigan but could not resist.
Actually there's two within a mile of each other.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:53 PM   #18

Wow! According to that map I live in almost Ohio! ��
Connie Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:09 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevanb View Post
Guess you never been to copper harbor.

We love Copper Harbor.Can't get anymore North than that in Michigan.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:00 AM   #20
The Busted Wrench

I live quite a ways north of Pontiac but can tell you that I too would recommend getting as far north of Pontiac as you dare want to commute on a daily basis. Why? Because once you start camping "up north" as we call it, you'll want to go that direction every weekend and the farther north you already live, the less you have to drive. Plus the Detroit metro area traffic is ridiculous.

One thing you have to remember about commuting, come winter time, you're going to be surrounded by a bunch of yahoos trying to still drive the speed limit on a skating rink because they don't want to leave early for work or are in a stupid rush to get home. So, if you're ok with a 45 minute commute, plan on that being almost double that for most of the bad winter months (mid December through mid March). I commuted 45 minutes one way everyday for 15 years so I could live in the country. Living 5 minutes away from work now, even though it's the city, has been much nicer for the past 4 years. Our camper is in a nice storage lot 2 minutes from the house and we are 3 minutes from the interstate that takes us straight north to the north country.
ChevyTech77 is offline   Reply With Quote