Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 10:13 PM   #1

Government shutdown

We had a reservation for dec.22-25 at Fort Pickens in Pensacola Fl. For some well deserved time off. Unfortunately the shutdown closed the campground and messed everything up for us after working 60 hr work weeks for the last 4 months. Has anyone else had a similar situation this weekend?
Malojeer is offline   Reply
Old 12-23-2018, 10:44 PM   #2

That seems odd since government shut downs don’t usually work that way.
Great bourbon-just about any of San Diego’s craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply
Old 12-23-2018, 11:34 PM   #3

The campground is part of the Gulf Islands National Seashore a part of the national park system
Malojeer is offline   Reply
Old 12-23-2018, 11:44 PM   #4

There are times when I think the best thing that could happen in this country would be a total shutdown of government. When open for business everyone seems to behave like they're back in High School. Well at least Congress, and they arent affected by shutdowns. Their paychecks will just keep on coming.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply
Old 12-23-2018, 11:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
There are times when I think the best thing that could happen in this country would be a total shutdown of government. When open for business everyone seems to behave like they're back in High School. Well at least Congress, and they arent affected by shutdowns. Their paychecks will just keep on coming.
The social security checks will keep coming too, and the cia will still monitor everyone that takes off their tin foil hat.
Great bourbon-just about any of San Diego’s craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply
Old 12-24-2018, 12:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbourbon View Post
The social security checks will keep coming too, and the cia will still monitor everyone that takes off their tin foil hat.
Wonder how fast a budget would be passed if congressional paychecks, health insurance, and other perks were shut off until the issues are resolved. No holiday vacations either.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply
Old 12-24-2018, 01:25 AM   #7
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Well...there are always plenty of Walmart parking lots!

Or time to pick up the phone and find another RV park.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply
Old 12-24-2018, 07:56 AM   #8
Site Team

Moderator hat on:

The longer term Rving members here have experienced federal government shutdowns before. Usually when this happens, all the national parks and federal run things (monuments, museums, parks, etc) are closed during the shutdown. Sometimes before, the states have stepped up with permission from the federal government, and ran "some" national parks during this period, as it greatly affects their tourism dollars.

This does confound and mess up previous camping plans.

Let's please use this thread (or similar ones) to help out fellow members and offer alternatives that we know of that may can assist our camping forum family that may be needing to try and do some last minute changes.

None of us here can solve the federal governments problems by just hijacking threads with political talk that is unrelated to RV'ing (and against the site guidelines), even though it may be a vent to get frustrations off the chest. The site team will be monitoring and deleting those posts that are against the site guidelines.

Please remember that we are a DIY community, and try to help our fellow members with a good alternative that we know of so they can enjoy RV'ing/camping during these holidays.

We will assume that the NPS will operate according to their contingency plan located below, which indicates that parks may be open, but no visitor services are available, including camping. If you know of something different, please let us all know.

https://www.doi.gov/sites/doi.gov/fi...gency_plan.pdf

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply
Old 12-24-2018, 08:05 AM   #9
GOODBYE SUIT - HELLO RV!!

Some parks affected by government shutdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malojeer View Post
We had a reservation for dec.22-25 at Fort Pickens in Pensacola Fl. For some well deserved time off. Unfortunately the shutdown closed the campground and messed everything up for us after working 60 hr work weeks for the last 4 months. Has anyone else had a similar situation this weekend?

Looks like indeed Fort Pickens is one of two parks in the area that are closed because of the government shut-down but not all parks are closed. Services are limited at others. We had just read an article saying that parks would not be affected but indeed I saw this article that supports what you are saying.

https://www.nwfdailynews.com/news/20...national-parks

I'm sorry that happened to you, obviously you were really looking forward to your trip Hopefully you were able to find a place to go and enjoy a camping Christmas.
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium California Special Convertible (The Beast)
2006 Ford Mustang 3.0 V6 Convertible (Lil' Blue)
HappyCamper1962 is offline   Reply
Old 12-24-2018, 08:39 AM   #10
Site Team

Remember folks no government bashing no matter how much you are tempted!

We're hoping the crisis ends very soon.

We have 10 days reserved in Big Cypress National Preserve. When I visit their website I see this pop up-

Lapse in Funding for the Federal Government

The lapse in funding for the Federal government may impact your reservation and travel plans.

Be aware that if you have an existing reservation during this lapse of funding period, and the location is not staffed, your reservation may not be honored.
We recommend that you do not make reservations for dates that fall within the lapse in funding timeframe, which begins at 12 am, Saturday, December 22 and extends for an unknown period. Some locations will remain open, while others will close. Contact those local offices to inquire about their status.
In addition, interagency and site-specific passes will not be sold during the lapse in funding period.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply
Old 12-24-2018, 09:39 AM   #11

According to Miami Herald, Big Cypress campgrounds are open, but unstaffed. They are first-come, first-come basis. For once, privatization worked in our favor -- Flamingo is open for out four-day stay, with water, power, and bathrooms open. I wonder if the vultures were furloughed? No risk losing wiper blades then.

2008 Honda Ridgeline
2014 Flagstaff Classic 425D
2014 nights camping: 26
JohnMac is offline   Reply
Old 12-31-2018, 03:20 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
Until the shutdown is over please be nice to Rangers (and all federal government employees), they are doing a tough job that the people we elected are making tougher.

We reserved in Great Smoky Mt National Park for late March. Hoping the shutdown will be over by then...
NoviBill is online now   Reply
Old 01-27-2019, 08:16 AM   #13

Look on the bright side

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoviBill View Post
Until the shutdown is over please be nice to Rangers (and all federal government employees), they are doing a tough job that the people we elected are making tougher.

We reserved in Great Smoky Mt National Park for late March. Hoping the shutdown will be over by then...
================================================

We just came back from 10 days of hiking in the Smoky Mountains on the Tennessee side (Cades Cove, Elkmont, etc) - so beautiful, as always. The first few days we hiked in the sunshine, then we got to hike a few days in the snow and loved it. Of course the only other people out there, and it was not many, were also from Florida because we are the only ones dumb enough to be out playing in 15 degree weather .

The shutdown definitely affects the GSM NP. The campgrounds were closed and ALL of the restrooms were locked with signs on them stating they would remain closed through the shutdown (no staff to clean them). Not an issue for the shorter hikes, but on those longer ones, we needed to do as the bears do and while I am a woodsy person so it didn't "bother me", I still didn't like to do that, or think of everyone else doing it too, because it was evident that not everyone did as we did and carry a trash bag with us so that we could carry out what we brought in.

Other than that, it was an awesome trip, and we talked about those folks out of work waiting for the government to get it together - it inspired us to donate even more than usual at the Cades Cove donation station .

We also saw a ton of unity at the airports - nearly all the passengers thanking the TSA screeners for being there, food on party platters being brought in for them by the airport (they can't take gifts from passengers) and the overall feeling of appreciation for job dedication.

So rather than complain about the government, because really, what will that do for you ---- instead find a way to support the folks affected by the shutdown, even in some small way, and it will be good for you and good for them.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:14 AM   #14

What concerns me more is very very very few of the government workers had anything saved for a rainy day. I wonder how many people on this site is the same way, paycheck to paycheck. It could happen to retires like us. What would happen if the federal debt limit is not raised.
spock123 is offline   Reply
Old 01-27-2019, 09:30 AM   #15

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
...What concerns me more is very very very few of the government workers had anything saved for a rainy day. I wonder how many people on this site is the same way, paycheck to paycheck...
'Why' would you make such assumptions?
formerFR is offline   Reply
Old 01-27-2019, 09:46 AM   #16

No assumptions please

x2 on the Why Would You Make Those Assumptions.

I am a government worker, and I am ready for the rainy day - and the hurricane. I presume the comment about your "concern" over So Many are not prepared to go without pay is based on some sort of research or are you just that arrogant? Working for the government is a thankless job - and you prove the point nicely.

Fact is that government pay is notoriously low for the work that people do, but in most cases the benefits are incredible, which some place a higher priority on, and believe it or not, there are actually people who choose a lower paying job because they want to give back by working in the public service sector. Thankfully I have a lot of years of service (eligible for full retirement this year at age 57) and senior ranking in my division, along with a highly paid private sector employed spouse, so a period of unemployment would not bankrupt me.

But now is the time to BE GRATEFUL FOR and RALLY AROUND THE GOVERNMENT WORKERS having trouble making ends meet because - as you can see - without them the government cannot function.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:49 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCamper1962 View Post
Other than that, it was an awesome trip, and we talked about those folks out of work waiting for the government to get it together - it inspired us to donate even more than usual at the Cades Cove donation station .

We also saw a ton of unity at the airports - nearly all the passengers thanking the TSA screeners for being there, food on party platters being brought in for them by the airport (they can't take gifts from passengers) and the overall feeling of appreciation for job dedication.

So rather than complain about the government, because really, what will that do for you ---- instead find a way to support the folks affected by the shutdown, even in some small way, and it will be good for you and good for them.
It’s a shame that this same compassion, thought and charity isn’t afforded to so many of our vets who truly need it. For many of these vets, the government shut down on them many, many years ago. So many of them struggle to survive. The government workers involved in the recent shutdown will receive their pay and they will recover — they have something to look forward to — our vets don’t.

Bruce
Old 01-27-2019, 09:52 AM   #18
Site Team

Please read post #8 above as this thread has drifted to the political and off-topic arena.

Closing the thread to decide if a cleanup is necessary.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply
Closed Thread