Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2017, 08:24 AM   #61
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by gectisme View Post
OK, so we drove from the Tetons to the Denver area today. Lots of places/miles where there is no Verizon coverage on that drive. The Google App does not download a map for the whole drive, it only downloads a small portion of the drive near the end. That really isn't very useful. Maybe I am doing something wrong, again... I don't know but if that is how it works, CoPilot is a better GPS app since it really has the whole map downloaded on the phone.

The Garmin of course never lost signal to the satellites and was used for about 70% of the drive because of no Verizon service. I don't think Google Maps is the end all, it is useful and probably the best when there is Verizon coverage. But when there isn't wireless data available a dedicated GPS unit or the CoPilot app fills a big void.

My experience with Google maps has been that it doesn't download any maps unless you direct it to. In mobile devices there is an option to download offline maps. You pick the areas you are traveling through and download them during a time with cell or wifi coverage and save them to either your SD card or internal memory. They then reside there until you delete them. You will get a message after 30 days asking if you want to update the maps. You can also manage your offline maps via your google mymaps account and a computer.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 08:55 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
You can download maps for offline use if needed. However, if you've got a good service provider it's usually not an issue. I've got Verizon and have never had an issue (outside of remote campgrounds). Any of your highways, byways, and back roads should work fine.
yea having maps offline is essential....never know when you won't have service
RV_Fan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 06:33 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
My experience with Google maps has been that it doesn't download any maps unless you direct it to. In mobile devices there is an option to download offline maps. You pick the areas you are traveling through and download them during a time with cell or wifi coverage and save them to either your SD card or internal memory. They then reside there until you delete them. You will get a message after 30 days asking if you want to update the maps. You can also manage your offline maps via your google mymaps account and a computer.

Yes, but on a long drive that is quite a few maps to figure out and download. I can see on a short drive or within the area of the downloaded maps it would be useful but too much a pain to download a bunch of maps for a long drive. I think google is best online and a dedicated GPS is best offline. Using a combo of both has served us well over the last 14 months. [emoji106]

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:23 PM   #64
King of the Road

Quote:
Yes, but on a long drive that is quite a few maps to figure out and download. I can see on a short drive or within the area of the downloaded maps it would be useful but too much a pain to download a bunch of maps for a long drive. I think google is best online and a dedicated GPS is best offline. Using a combo of both has served us well over the last 14 months. [emoji106]
Plus the maps expire and can't be used until re-downloaded.

2016 days camped = 91, 2017 days camped = 109
Dano1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:52 PM   #65

Dano, they remind you they expire and you can re-download them.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 10:15 PM   #66

Quote:
Just mentioned this on another thread, we have been on quite a few roads where there was no Verizon service, (have been all over the US in the past 14 months). As a matter of fact, just came from Yellowstone to the Grand Tetons and had no Verizon service for a good portion of that short drive. So you can't always count on Verizon data being available. Having written that, I didn't know you could download google maps onto the phone, that's good info, will check into that. Thx. [emoji106]
Google maps has come a long way. Not only can you download and save the maps for an area you can enter in your start and destination (while in coverage) and you can also download and save your route as well so you can restart nav without coverage.

My favorite option is to find gas along the way. The truck will find cheap gas nearby but not on the route and prices are right in front of you in google...with coverage for this feature.

I love that you get the traffic updates as well. The only complaint is I wish I could avoid narrow roads or low bridges.

Went to boundary waters and had to read a paper map again. I kept asking where the little blue dot was...we were so lost. Knew where we were headed but figuring out where you are was the hard part.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 10:19 PM   #67
King of the Road

Yes I know. But if the expire when I have no cell or WiFi service then what?

Old 08-31-2017, 11:22 PM   #68

OP already purchased something but I thought I'd chime in for the good of the order. I manage geographic data for a living and agree with most of the opinions/assessments presented here. I've worked in rural and more populated areas. With all of the data sources these devices and apps use, you're never going to find one that is completely correct and up to date no matter how fresh the download. Populated areas see more frequent updates because that is where more customers are. And despite the errors some comment about regarding GPS units there are plenty of errors in Google's data, too.

We took delivery of a TT this past May and had our first "longer than a couple of days trip" a few weeks ago. I was set to get a Garmin RV model to replace my oldest GPS unit and happened to drop into the TA truck stop just down the road from our storage place to inquire about the Cat scale. They had a small electronics section so I took a look.

They had a decent selection of GPS models for truckers, including the Garmin dezl 570 LMT. The full price was cheaper than Amazon and it was on sale for $230. This unit appears to be basically the same as the RV model but of course geared to the trucker.

Some of the features:
- Custom routing based on a profile. I created a profile for my TV and trailer. I can also select the 'car' profile for routing when not towing.
- Routing through interchanges shows and tells you what lane(s) to be in.
- It warns of steep grades, sharp curves, and speed limit changes.
- You can choose to show various truck related services, which helped finding the truck stops vs regular stations.

In use while towing to our first stop covering portions of three states, it kept us on the interstate longer than what Google suggested. Time of travel was roughly equivalent, despite some nasty head and side winds along the route that day. The second leg was on some back roads and it tried its hardest to route us back to some major highways, so we made the turns we had researched previously and forced it to recalculate the route. That's not a fault of this unit. It happens with every nav system and I routinely override Garmin and Google when I have "better" intel to work with.

BTW, with most nav systems you can choose to have it route for shortest time or shortest distance. This device then applies the truck-trailer profile constraints if necessary along the solved route.

We didn't have conditions that would have tested the traffic avoidance features but our 4+ year old Garmin with that feature works pretty well so I can guess that they've refined it in models since.

I typically update the maps 2-3 times a year and especially before a big trip just to have the most current data.

Apologies for the length but I hope the info helps someone.
boevermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 11:30 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano1955 View Post
Then kick yourself for not paying attention to your phone. At 15 days until expire it will try to update the map if you are connected and charging. At 6 days it gets more insistent with a message. So unless you are out of service for more than 15 days, you should be ok. No need to panic.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 06:54 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano1955 View Post
You get like a 7-day reminder. You don't go somewhere during that time?

Anywhere other than where you are would probably have coverage.
Old 09-01-2017, 09:23 AM   #71
Site Team

Boevermann -- Thanks for the post. I've looked at the dezl 570, but didn't know how well it would adapt to the RV world. Your post helped with that.
Old 09-01-2017, 09:45 AM   #72
King of the Road

Quote:
You get like a 7-day reminder. You don't go somewhere during that time?

Anywhere other than where you are would probably have coverage.
So, your travels are all within cell coverage areas, at least within a few days time?

No, Google Maps is good for what it is, even the offline feature. But when you spend 15-20 days on a mountain or in the desert, can't be always thinking "Hmm better check my offline maps and re-download before I leave..."

Dedicated GPS will always be better UNTIL they build a phone that has it built in. Sometimes "There's an app for that" just won't cut it.

Old 09-01-2017, 10:09 AM   #73

Hmm. I've got mountains but no desert near me. It works most of the time for the areas I go and even if it doesn't work at the campsite it will when I leave it.

I guess if you're doing what you're doing and it works for you.. go for it.

I just don't see the value in buying a stand-alone GPS right now. Maybe I will sometime in the future. For me the real-time updates are more important.

To the OP.. sorry to derail your question.. I'm out.. just trying to help with pro's and con's.
Old 09-01-2017, 02:17 PM   #74

Here We GO is a great app. Its free ad you can download maps or not. Even with downloaded maps it can get traffic reports if you have service. I use it and my Garmin RV 660.

Frank
FrankMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 02:26 PM   #75

I have a Rand Mc Nally RV gps has worked for me. The newer models have auto map updates and live traffic info. Run about $ 300
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 08:31 PM   #76

Quote:
You can download maps for offline use if needed. However, if you've got a good service provider it's usually not an issue. I've got Verizon and have never had an issue (outside of remote campgrounds). Any of your highways, byways, and back roads should work fine.
You've never been to WV there's stretches of interstate that don't have sevice
railroaderone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 10:27 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by railroaderone View Post
You've never been to WV there's stretches of interstate that don't have sevice
There are stretches of road/interstate in every state that have dead spots. But since you are traveling on a road the deadspots are usually temporary. Lots of that out west, but hasn't affected my ability to use online maps yet. Not sure what your point is. If you don't want to use online maps, or don't like/understand them, don't use 'em
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 11:20 PM   #78

My Garmin is probably 5 or six years old and works as well or better at times than the gps in my new motorhome. I double check routing with CoPilot or on the ipad. AllStay Truck Travel is also a good double check for low bridges, etc.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 02:10 PM   #79

Back at the end of August I mentioned that I had purchased a Rand-McNally RVND7 gps unit and I would report back.

Well I am happy to say that the unit worked perfectly. No narrow roads, no low bridges and I did not think that the image washed out too badly in sunlight. No problems hearing the directions but I think the unit has a little problem with enunciation. Of course I have bad hearing so it could be just me. I used the unit for impromptu route changes to finding campgrounds and H-D dealers.

I think that for under 200 dollars, this was a good investment. Of course I have never used a gps before, so I cant really compare it to anything else.
cliffy49 is offline   Reply With Quote