Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2017, 08:59 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
You got this one then. All you need to do is click "Start" and start to drive.

Attachment 149985
Yeah, that's it. THANKS

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 07:59 AM   #42

Here's the deal. I haven't touched a paper map in at least 5-6 years and my family recently moved from the Midwest to the North Georgia area so without Google maps I'd be lost.

It's just so easy to speak or type in your destination and let maps take over the route planning. Real-time updates occur automatically and if there is a problem ahead in the road the app will route you around it (even if it occurs while you are driving a few miles ahead).

The other time it comes in really handy is when pulling the camper. You can easily find gas stations along the route, a favorite restaurant, or a campground/reservation in an area you're unfamiliar with.

I feel some of your pain with bridge heights. However, the way I usually handle that is by reading the signs on the road. If there is a low bridge ahead (or low branches for that matter) you can simply follow the signs (or in the case of branches find the nearest main road) and the app will auto-correct and update your route automatically.

Satellite view can be very handy for finding a place to turn around or seeing if the parking lot at Chick-fil-A is large enough to handle your camper. (Yes, there is some experience talking there) LOL!

I know some of you all may be saying that you use what you use because that's what you're comfortable with. My mom did that for quite a while until she drove with us and saw just how easy it is to use and the benefits of it.

Let me know if you have questions. It really is easy to use.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 08:53 AM   #43

Quote:
You can download maps for offline use if needed. However, if you've got a good service provider it's usually not an issue. I've got Verizon and have never had an issue (outside of remote campgrounds). Any of your highways, byways, and back roads should work fine.

Just mentioned this on another thread, we have been on quite a few roads where there was no Verizon service, (have been all over the US in the past 14 months). As a matter of fact, just came from Yellowstone to the Grand Tetons and had no Verizon service for a good portion of that short drive. So you can't always count on Verizon data being available. Having written that, I didn't know you could download google maps onto the phone, that's good info, will check into that. Thx. [emoji106]

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:01 AM   #44

Quote:
Here's the deal. I haven't touched a paper map in at least 5-6 years and my family recently moved from the Midwest to the North Georgia area so without Google maps I'd be lost.

It's just so easy to speak or type in your destination and let maps take over the route planning. Real-time updates occur automatically and if there is a problem ahead in the road the app will route you around it (even if it occurs while you are driving a few miles ahead).

The other time it comes in really handy is when pulling the camper. You can easily find gas stations along the route, a favorite restaurant, or a campground/reservation in an area you're unfamiliar with.

I feel some of your pain with bridge heights. However, the way I usually handle that is by reading the signs on the road. If there is a low bridge ahead (or low branches for that matter) you can simply follow the signs (or in the case of branches find the nearest main road) and the app will auto-correct and update your route automatically.

Satellite view can be very handy for finding a place to turn around or seeing if the parking lot at Chick-fil-A is large enough to handle your camper. (Yes, there is some experience talking there) LOL!

I know some of you all may be saying that you use what you use because that's what you're comfortable with. My mom did that for quite a while until she drove with us and saw just how easy it is to use and the benefits of it.

Let me know if you have questions. It really is easy to use.
I use gas buddy for finding the lowest priced gas. When I was pulling a TT. I looked for truck stops. Convenience stores were hard to get around in-- a couple times , I had dropped anti-sway bars trying to negotiate tight turns. Now with a MH, I look for Sams Club or Costco gas. Almost the cheapest everywhere. I'll use the maps part of gas buddy to find a Sams or Costco store on my route for the next day. If I don't find one then the cheapest anywhere else will have to do. But I can normally find what I'm looking for.
Schvarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:19 AM   #45

GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gectisme View Post
I didn't know you could download google maps onto the phone, that's good info, will check into that. Thx. [emoji106]

007matman, OK, just spent 10 minutes trying to figure out how to download the map to the phone with no success. My kids are still asleep so I can't ask them to figure it out. [emoji2] How do you do that?

MISSION COMPLETED!
Old 08-29-2017, 09:23 AM   #46

Google is your friend. https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...obile&ie=UTF-8
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:43 AM   #47

GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post

That's what I did too [emoji2]. Unfortunately it doesn't work or I am doing something wrong, most likely the latter but can't figure it out.. meaning I searched google too but the instructions in that link don't work for me.

MISSION COMPLETED!
Old 08-29-2017, 10:08 AM   #48

GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gectisme View Post
That's what I did too [emoji2]. Unfortunately it doesn't work or I am doing something wrong, most likely the latter but can't figure it out.. meaning I searched google too but the instructions in that link don't work for me.

OK, it was me. I was using safari to find the place I wanted to go to and then selecting directions from there to open google maps. When I do it that way no download is available. If I go into the google maps app directly and search, the download is available. Very cool, thanks 007 for mentioning that!
[emoji106]

MISSION COMPLETED!
Old 08-29-2017, 10:39 AM   #49

Glad I could help. Honestly, I don't know how anyone drives anywhere you're unfamiliar with without it.

Apple doesn't make Google Maps very easy for their users to use effectively. It does work a lot better on Android devices. However, if you learn the tricks it's manageable.

With an Android, I can search using Google search from pretty much anywhere (in any app) and then click on the result to open the map and navigate. On an Apple device you need to use the search feature within the app to pull up the results. The end result is the same.. it's just the path that's different.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 03:47 PM   #50

was just looking at a new Garmin unit.

Doesn't use Cell Service so no Data time used either. With an accessory camera it will double as a backup camera too.

Another feature is that the unit is a recording Dash Cam keeping track of what's happening in front of you. Can use features to send trip video's home.

Also, if the unit senses an impact, it will send a text message to a predetermined number stating that you have been in an accident and the location. This alert is time delayed and won't be sent if overridden by someone so less chance of a false alarm.

I used to be a Paper Map and "Woodall's" person too. Started to find that the info was out of date, even the maps, and more and more current info is online.

The navigation system on my phone is capable of providing me "drive to" instructions down to about 25-30 feet, close enough to tell me if I'm on the Left or Right side of my street as I drive.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 03:54 PM   #51

Quote:
Use your phone or buy a Smartphone if you don't already have one. Tablet w/4G services if you want a larger format.

Much more accurate, real-time traffic updates, no software updates to buy.. ever.

Google Maps or Waze is the best.
This. If your camper is tall grab the pois for low cleaances from lowclearances.com

2017 Heritage Glen 368RLHBK Limited
2017 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew, 6.7 Cummins
m35a2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 04:03 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy49 View Post
First, sorry for creating all of this controversy. Second, let me re-phrase my question.

Do you feel that a 3/4 model year old GPS unit that is purchased new with lifetime maps can be updated sufficiently to be useful? I realize that this is not the way most people do things, but I am trying to save a couple of bucks and still get to where I need to go.
Yes. If you are purchasing one, though, I would look at an RV version. It will help keep you out of crazy situations - like driving through neighborhoods with cars parked on both sides of the road, etc.

I have been using the same GPS (Garmin RV 760) for the past three years, and get twice a year updates on the maps and numerous updates on the software. You will be fine with purchasing an older model and using the online updates.

If you want to use an app for it, SmartTruck Route II is good.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 04:21 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben31 View Post
Yes. If you are purchasing one, though, I would look at an RV version. It will help keep you out of crazy situations - like driving through neighborhoods with cars parked on both sides of the road, etc.

I have been using the same GPS (Garmin RV 760) for the past three years, and get twice a year updates on the maps and numerous updates on the software. You will be fine with purchasing an older model and using the online updates.

If you want to use an app for it, SmartTruck Route II is good.
I was hoping that would be the case but was not certain. I am currently looking at 2 units that Camping World has on sale. Magellan Roadmate RV5365T-LMB for under 150 dollars and the Rand-McNally RVND 7 for under 200 dollars.

Since I am not familiar with these units, I have been trying to find reviews on them. Neither one has what I would call stellar reviews, but are fine for beginning.

Does anyone have any comments or suggestions on either of these units. Any help is appreciated.
cliffy49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 04:54 PM   #54
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

Get one with RV capabilities where you can enter height, weight, length etc to keep you out of precarious situations. The GPS algorithms are all pretty much the same, or so I thought. My Rand McNally RVND 7720, while nearly always is spot on, has had us going way out of our way to get to the requested location. As a result, we also have a Garmin Nuvii 1450, monitored by my naviguesser DW. There were numerous times when one disagreed with the other, so we did trip planning on Google as an additional backup. Planning (and being familiar) your proposed route saves a lot of frustration. Having been down one too many one lane roads on the way to a CG, I also stated using Google Earth to get a satellite view of campgrounds and fuel stops......
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 08:06 AM   #55

Quote:
I was hoping that would be the case but was not certain. I am currently looking at 2 units that Camping World has on sale. Magellan Roadmate RV5365T-LMB for under 150 dollars and the Rand-McNally RVND 7 for under 200 dollars.

Since I am not familiar with these units, I have been trying to find reviews on them. Neither one has what I would call stellar reviews, but are fine for beginning.

Does anyone have any comments or suggestions on either of these units. Any help is appreciated.

I had the Rand McNally 10" version in a 43' x 102"w motor home which with a tag axle in rear was not the best for maneuvering in tight quarters. You start by entering these specs and the software will automatically avoid low clearance and narrow streets and alarms. If approached. Will avoid the "turn around" command as impractical.
Loaded with service stops both turnpike and highway. Include POI, lodging, fuel, service etc. Takes getting used to but I used four years and found nothing better. As I understood it the 7 and 10 Were functionality the same.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:27 AM   #56

The reasons I like my tablet with Google Maps for navigation:
* It's got a good sized screen.
* It uses my vehicle sound system (bluetooth).
* Maps are always up to date.
* It can run Allstays, and I can use maps to navigate to the selected campground from within Allstays.
* Ditto for the Pilot app for finding truck stops.
* It can run Furkot, which I use for roughly planning my route prior to a trip. Furkot integrates with Maps.
* I have up to date low clearance warnings from lowclearances.com
* I can connect it to my OBDII to monitor my EGTs, so I know when it's safe to shut down.
* The tablet was practically free. An old one we weren't using anymore.
* If I decide I don't' like Maps anymore, I can easily switch to another navigation system.

2017 Heritage Glen 368RLHBK Limited
2017 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew, 6.7 Cummins
m35a2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 02:54 PM   #57

http://store.randmcnally.com/rvnd-7-gps.html

Well, I bit the bullet and purchased the Rand-McNally RVND7. It was only $189.00 at Good Sam, with my 10 dollar off coupon. Came with lifetime maps.

First thing I did after registering was to download any new info that has been added. Took about 15 minutes for 200 plus files.

Hopefully gonna go to Florida in a couple of weeks, so will report back if and when we go.
cliffy49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 03:01 PM   #58
Site Team

I'm really interested in a new GPS for pulling the RV. Please do let us know how it performs.

I have a 8" tablet that I'm going to try m35a2's method on it to see if it works for me.
Old 08-30-2017, 03:42 PM   #59
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
RVND™ 7 GPS - Rand McNally Store

Well, I bit the bullet and purchased the Rand-McNally RVND7. It was only $189.00 at Good Sam, with my 10 dollar off coupon. Came with lifetime maps.

First thing I did after registering was to download any new info that has been added. Took about 15 minutes for 200 plus files.

Hopefully gonna go to Florida in a couple of weeks, so will report back if and when we go.
Let us know how it works for you.
I've been looking at that one myself.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 11:30 PM   #60

OK, so we drove from the Tetons to the Denver area today. Lots of places/miles where there is no Verizon coverage on that drive. The Google App does not download a map for the whole drive, it only downloads a small portion of the drive near the end. That really isn't very useful. Maybe I am doing something wrong, again... I don't know but if that is how it works, CoPilot is a better GPS app since it really has the whole map downloaded on the phone.

The Garmin of course never lost signal to the satellites and was used for about 70% of the drive because of no Verizon service. I don't think Google Maps is the end all, it is useful and probably the best when there is Verizon coverage. But when there isn't wireless data available a dedicated GPS unit or the CoPilot app fills a big void.

MISSION COMPLETED!