Old 06-19-2015, 09:46 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilm2113 View Post
On my older Garmin if you tap on the top bar where the turn directions are it will list all the turns and mileage.
That's it!! Thank you! I checked the Garmin website and did some searches in the HELP function on the 760LMT. Found nothing. It did seem odd. The listings are so much more convenient for reviewing the route with a separate map (before I drive around lake Ontario to avoid a $6 toll). Thanks again.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:25 AM   #12

Glad it worked. I have been looking at buying one of these as well to upgrade my older unit. Have fun.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:03 PM   #13

Just purchased the new RV Garmin. Worked ok on first trip, but thought it had outdated maps. So, I hooked it up to my PC to update. When we got in the RV to leave, all the maps were missing. When we get home, I hope the new update will fix it. 7" size is nice.
Old 06-20-2015, 09:02 PM   #14
Bus Driver

I have used Garmin GPS’s for quite some time and am impressed with the RV760LMT. It provides for free map updates (approx 2 to 3 per year) as a download for free for the lifetime of the device. I also use Garmin’s Mapsource on my computer and plan my longer trips using it. Once my trip is planned (routed) I load the Garmin with my Trip file and any other Point of Interest files needed. When I update the Garmin Maps on my device, it also updates the map files on my computer so that I am using the same data. There is also a Google Earth view in Mapsource that is quite handy during the planning purposes.
The Garmin RV760LMT is capable of this process

As an example, I traveled to the FROG Rally last summer in Goshen Indiana from just North of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. I had never set foot in Indiana before this trip. I knew I wanted to travel on Route I-80 (No toll in PA) as opposed to the PA Turnpike (Rt I-76, Toll Road) I created a route file showing North on I-476 to West on I-80, to west on the Ohio Turnpike, etc, etc. to the front gate of the Goshen Fair Grounds (using Google Earth) to spot the actual gate as my destination. I created this file in the comfort of my living room while wearing my pink fuzzy slippers

Also, I was unsure just how far we could travel in a given day so I also created a Travel (POI) file that showed all of the potential rest stops that were no further than 3 miles, either side or an exit of our travel route. This file contained all of the permitted Wallmarts, Cracker Barrels, Overnight rest stops, regular restops etc.

We left at 7:30 Friday Evening and stopped for the evening at 11:00 PM in Bloomsburg PA at a Cracker Barrel. We arrived in Goshen on Saturday at 5:45. I could bring up the travel file at any time and see “our options” including rest, fuel or food stops based on wherever we were.

Mapsource and user created POI files are free to download from Garmin and other GPS sites like POI-Factory. They make a complete package for the Garmin RV760LMT. "I wouldn't leave home without it"
Old 06-21-2015, 09:37 AM   #15
I Break Everything

We just bought one. My wife and daughter both have built in GPS in our cars, so this was the first "portable" one I've messed with. After a little learning curve with programming it seems to work fine. No GPS system is perfect. Check maps as well. Maps usually free at all the state welcome centers across the US.

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS MH
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 12:19 AM   #16

Hey Deaver ... the current Garmins come with Base Camp as the recommended planning software...the Mapsource is a discontinued legacy app. Have you tried them both and settled on Mapsource? I'm not a fan of base camp,,,, wondering if mapsource is worth downloading as an alternate.
2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 04:18 PM   #17
Bus Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Hey Deaver ... the current Garmins come with Base Camp as the recommended planning software...the Mapsource is a discontinued legacy app. Have you tried them both and settled on Mapsource? I'm not a fan of base camp,,,, wondering if mapsource is worth downloading as an alternate.
Yes, I have tried BaseCamp and use it for some applications like the handhelds for hiking or cycling. I think it works well for them. Mapsource is a better application for the Nuvi type devices in my opinion

Mapsource is a legacy program that was offered as part of the original Metroguide days and was still included up to some of the early City Navigator releases. It can still be downloaded , but a little tricky. Here's how

This assumes that you have a "Lifetime Maps" option on your device. If not, you will have to purchase a Map update from Garmin prior.

You have to Download Training Center software version 3.6.5 and install First. Click "RUN" each time a dialog box appears

Garmin Training Center Link

Then, you download and Install MapSource software version 6.16.3 (The latest and last version) Click "RUN" each time a dialog box appears

Garmin Mapsource Link

You then want to download and install Garmin's Map Updater Program. (note if you do not have Microsoft's net framework program already on your computer, it will load it as part of the overall install) Save this Program "GarminMapUpdater.exe" somewhere on your computer you will remember and use it for all future Map Updates

Garmin Map Updater Link

If you now access the Mapsource program, you will find No Map Date. Close the Mapsource Program.

Plug in your Garmin Device (Nuvi,etc) to your computer and MAKE SURE your computer recognizes your Garmin Device as another drive.

You want to run the Map Updater Program at this time with your Garmin Pluged-In. Update to both your computer and to your device. This will place the same Map data on both or device and your Computer so that it can be accessed by the Mapsource Program.

Is so desired, You can un-install the Garmin Training Center as it is used for the Athletic based Garmin Devices like the running or cycling devises

As a side note, I find that using the Map Updater Program allows you to update your maps À la carte as opposed to the "Garmin Express" method. Garmin Express will NOT update your computer Maps, only the device.

Give it a try

In tomorrows lesson I'll discuss Custom Point of Interest Files and how to use them if there is enough interest
Old 06-23-2015, 04:47 PM   #18

Wow...great info and links...thanks. I do have lifetime maps. Have saved your note as a file to be tried next time i plan a trip. The Garmin and I are about 18 miles apart at the moment! I for one would be interested in the custom poi files.
Thanks again!

2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
modifications

« Recalls | Home prep »