Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2015, 03:17 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post
I just got one and love everything about it so far. I would highly recommend it to other rv owners.

Do have a question though. Going to be going to SC in a few months. Found the cg I want to use, less than 15 minutes from my daughters and grandkids. Good directions and will take about 10:28 to get there from my house. I don't think, want, I can drive that long in one day. Would like to drive 6 hours, about 300 miles, first day then finish the trip the next day.

Is there a way to figure out what cg are 6 hours away from my house? Would like to know so I could make reservations in advance. Can I figure it using time or millage? I am guessing I will end up in Virginia somewhere.

If not Maybe there is an app or web site I could use then switch to the GPS?

Jim
I have an app called rvparky What I would roughly calculate 300 miles pick out a town put that into rvparky if in that area they will up with rates, type of sites, and phone number to contact them. Good luck...
Myrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 03:18 PM   #22

[QUOTE=Myrle;1041838]I have an app called rvparky What I would roughly calculate 300 miles pick out a town put that into rvparky if in that area they will up with rates, type of sites, and phone number to contact them. Good luck on m your searches.
Myrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:30 AM   #23

Garmin Basecamp

Hi, re-read TGR reply, Garmin Basecamp is what you are looking for. It has a bit of a learning curve and sometimes its not to intuitive but for a free mapping program it's pretty powerful. If you're really serious about software check out Microsoft Mappoint, you can plug in travel times, drag and drop changes to your route, and calculate trip costs if you want. Its a powerful mapping program but a bit pricey.
tahoe1840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 08:03 PM   #24

Just over night

Why not Wally World or rest area?? only need to sleep right??
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 09:14 PM   #25
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoe1840 View Post
Hi, re-read TGR reply, Garmin Basecamp is what you are looking for. It has a bit of a learning curve and sometimes its not to intuitive but for a free mapping program it's pretty powerful. If you're really serious about software check out Microsoft Mappoint, you can plug in travel times, drag and drop changes to your route, and calculate trip costs if you want. Its a powerful mapping program but a bit pricey.

Unfortunately, MapPoint was retired at the end of 2014. Already a year out of date, it's just going to get worse as time goes on.
Old 11-26-2015, 11:56 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqparalegal1 View Post
Why not Wally World or rest area?? only need to sleep right??
They work if there are any close by on my way down. Got a couple of places I want to go to on way back.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 11:59 AM   #27

I wrote to Garmin and they wrote back with a fairly easy way. Here it is.

"
Another option would be programming your destination in your device and scrolling through the directions to see where you will be around 6 hours in. To do this, please follow the steps below:

1. Enter the address into your device
  2. Press Go
  3. Touch the top left corner of the screen where it's giving you the lane assist information
  4. Scroll through these directions so you can see where you will be in 6 hours."

Jim
Old 11-30-2015, 06:08 PM   #28

I've used lots of gps's over the years and have found Garmin to be about the best. I have also found that you should never 100%t trust any gps.
larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 09:21 PM   #29

I use the RV parky app. Put in the city and it will bring up most of the campgrounds with amenities and reviews.
rlchall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 09:41 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchall View Post
I use the RV parky app. Put in the city and it will bring up most of the campgrounds with amenities and reviews.
Only if you are near that city.

I found that I needed to change the upper right corner to the city I want to search near, then do a "search" for that city. I live in NJ and was searching for a cg in Va. and couldn't get anything till I changed my location in the upper right corner.

Jim
Old 12-07-2015, 10:12 PM   #31

I use the RV 760 and generally like it. It does have a few problems with locating campgrounds occasionally, but I rarely use it without consulting other sources. As for the OPs original question, I estimate about how far I want to travel, and then use the Android app "RVParky" to locate campgrounds in the area. It has been very useful. A lot of times, I will have my wife open RVParky about an hour before I am ready to stop, and see where the next several parks are on our route. Then, we will pick one, call ahead to see if they have an opening, and use RVParky to navigate to the campground.

2020 Cedar Creek Silverback 33IK
2011 Ford F250 Superduty Powerstroke
cbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 09:06 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbari View Post
I use the RV 760 and generally like it. It does have a few problems with locating campgrounds occasionally, but I rarely use it without consulting other sources. As for the OPs original question, I estimate about how far I want to travel, and then use the Android app "RVParky" to locate campgrounds in the area. It has been very useful. A lot of times, I will have my wife open RVParky about an hour before I am ready to stop, and see where the next several parks are on our route. Then, we will pick one, call ahead to see if they have an opening, and use RVParky to navigate to the campground.
My problem is there is just the dog and myself, and she is not very good at using appps, LOL! Seriously, I like to make my reservations before I pull out for the day. Have had problems at times trying to get last minute reservations with parks being full. Especially in the summer. I can see where apps can come in handy though if I were to use them when doing my initial search for a cg.

Thanks everyone for the information.

Jim