Old 11-23-2015, 10:26 AM   #1

GPS question for Garmin RV 760LM owners

I just got one and love everything about it so far. I would highly recommend it to other rv owners.

Do have a question though. Going to be going to SC in a few months. Found the cg I want to use, less than 15 minutes from my daughters and grandkids. Good directions and will take about 10:28 to get there from my house. I don't think, want, I can drive that long in one day. Would like to drive 6 hours, about 300 miles, first day then finish the trip the next day.

Is there a way to figure out what cg are 6 hours away from my house? Would like to know so I could make reservations in advance. Can I figure it using time or millage? I am guessing I will end up in Virginia somewhere.

If not Maybe there is an app or web site I could use then switch to the GPS?

Jim

oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:35 AM   #2

When I travel long distances I will find a location that is within the distance I want to drive. I will then do a google search for CG in the area. This works for me maybe others have a better way of doing it.

caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:49 AM   #3

I don't think it has an option to search based on travel time?

I bought the RV 760LMT when it first came out in 2013 and to be honest I am not very impressed with it. I've had it take me to a locked gate when supposedly directing me me to an Army Corp campground in Vermont. The gate was around 8 miles from the campground and was on the road leading the Corps main office, not the campground. It also attempted to take me over a road where the bridge had been removed 3 years prior. I have found 3 private campgrounds in PA that are not located anywhere close to where the 760 tells you they are. I found half a dozen issues and I'm only using it a few times a year. I wish I could get my money back on it.

I have updated the map/database every time Garmin releases an update and despite emailing them every time I find something inaccurate, and Garmin responding to the email, they have yet to change anything.

Its sort of worthless if you can not trust it to get you to a campground.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:02 AM   #4
2012 Solera

I think you can pick a city near where you want to stop for the night, enter that as your destination, then search for campgrounds near your destination.
Have occasionally had the Garmin get me close to the campground, but not quite to it. Have augmented with Google maps when that has happened. Have also had the Garmin find places my wife could not find using her iPad apps. Has gone both ways for us. Neither is perfect.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 11:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
I don't think it has an option to search based on travel time?

I bought the RV 760LMT when it first came out in 2013 and to be honest I am not very impressed with it. I've had it take me to a locked gate when supposedly directing me me to an Army Corp campground in Vermont. The gate was around 8 miles from the campground and was on the road leading the Corps main office, not the campground. It also attempted to take me over a road where the bridge had been removed 3 years prior. I have found 3 private campgrounds in PA that are not located anywhere close to where the 760 tells you they are. I found half a dozen issues and I'm only using it a few times a year. I wish I could get my money back on it.

I have updated the map/database every time Garmin releases an update and despite emailing them every time I find something inaccurate, and Garmin responding to the email, they have yet to change anything.

Its sort of worthless if you can not trust it to get you to a campground.
I have owned other Garmin's and never had a problem, that is why I got this one. There are not to many designed for the rv driver to chose from. Granted I didn't use them to often though. I hope this isn't the bad one!

I had a different brand I had fun with though. Its favorite thing was to tell me to make a U turn! Got dumped off Pa turnpike one day because of an accident. For 45 minutes I heard "Make a U turn as soon as possible." Glad I knew where I was! It was two exits before I could get back on. Was ready to throw it out the window! Finally got smart and shut it off! Was hoping it would tell me a new way I didn't know but gave up on it.

I know they are only a guide but sense I plan on going some places I have never been hope it helps!

Jim
Old 11-23-2015, 11:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeising View Post
I think you can pick a city near where you want to stop for the night, enter that as your destination, then search for campgrounds near your destination.
Have occasionally had the Garmin get me close to the campground, but not quite to it. Have augmented with Google maps when that has happened. Have also had the Garmin find places my wife could not find using her iPad apps. Has gone both ways for us. Neither is perfect.
That is how I found I am going to be stopping in Va.

You are right none are perfect. Use a AAA map and they took me over 100 miles out of my way one day. They tried to take me thru an overpass that was too low once also. I got lucky that day. Stopped a cop I saw sitting in a gas station. He told me how to get where I needed to go. He knew all the short cuts! He took me down a dirt road for a little while but saved me a lot of time.

I don't like overpasses! Saw a 18 wheeler stuck on tv one day. They had repaved the road but didn't upgrade the height signs! He thought he had room but missed by 2 inches. Peeled that trailer back like an aluminum can for 6 feet!

Jim
Old 11-23-2015, 11:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post
I have owned other Garmin's and never had a problem, that is why I got this one. There are not to many designed for the rv driver to chose from. Granted I didn't use them to often though. I hope this isn't the bad one!

I had a different brand I had fun with though. Its favorite thing was to tell me to make a U turn! Got dumped off Pa turnpike one day because of an accident. For 45 minutes I heard "Make a U turn as soon as possible." Glad I knew where I was! It was two exits before I could get back on. Was ready to throw it out the window! Finally got smart and shut it off! Was hoping it would tell me a new way I didn't know but gave up on it.

I know they are only a guide but sense I plan on going some places I have never been hope it helps!

Jim
I always liked the prior Garmin stuff I had in the past also. I have been pissed about this RV760 since the Vermont deal back in 2013. When I ran into the gate I had to back a truck and 25' Hybrid almost 1/2 a mile before I could get to a spot to turn around.

Another issue I found is when you get off the main highways, you'll find a fair amount of roads where its going to tell you "RV accessibility unknown". It may work better in other areas but here in PA it leaves a lot to be desired.

I am biased I guess, as I found out about its shortcomings right after the Amazon return period expired. I bought it full price the day it became available.....$400. I also bought the wires Garmin backup camera, the BC30, that interfaces with it for another $170 and its a piece of junk. It does not have anywhere near the range they claim and the video is very low resolution and compressed the point of almost being worthless.

Maybe I expect too much, but when I pay a premium for something to be specifically for RV use, I expect it to be accurate as far as directing me to RV related destinations?

I could of picked up a regular Garmin for $100.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
I always liked the prior Garmin stuff I had in the past also. I have been pissed about this RV760 since the Vermont deal back in 2013. When I ran into the gate I had to back a truck and 25' Hybrid almost 1/2 a mile before I could get to a spot to turn around.

Another issue I found is when you get off the main highways, you'll find a fair amount of roads where its going to tell you "RV accessibility unknown". It may work better in other areas but here in PA it leaves a lot to be desired.

I am biased I guess, as I found out about its shortcomings right after the Amazon return period expired. I bought it full price the day it became available.....$400. I also bought the wires Garmin backup camera, the BC30, that interfaces with it for another $170 and its a piece of junk. It does not have anywhere near the range they claim and the video is very low resolution and compressed the point of almost being worthless.

Maybe I expect too much, but when I pay a premium for something to be specifically for RV use, I expect it to be accurate as far as directing me to RV related destinations?

I could of picked up a regular Garmin for $100.
Maybe I should have not given my 100 dollar Garmin to my daughter? Then again, I like the screen size much better on this one! I can understand about being upset because of that 1/2 mile back-up! Would have aggravated me also!

As for the "RV accessibility unknown" statement I could understand that sometimes. Garmin states that many of their maps are from outside sources such as Google. Guess they have no control over what they get and I am sure they don't drive around to check them. On day trips to take wildlife photos I use to use Google Earth. I like the program but have found many of the map photos were 3 or 4 years old. Often they were not accurate, especially if there had been any bad storms in the area. Found bridges out and roads closed quite often.

I have a camera on my truck so am hoping I can use it on this GPS. Haven't really looked at it yet though. If not at least it didn't cost me anything more. Had thought about the camera they sell but decided to wait to see if this one will work. I hope so, like the 7 " screen much better than a 4 " one.

Jim
Old 11-23-2015, 12:22 PM   #9

You could always use Goggle Maps and insert waypoints where you "think" you would like to stop for the night. Or...

Do you travel a lot? if so, this is a KILLER website & RV Travel Planner. It's $39/year and even if you use it for 4-5 trips, IMHO it pays for itself!

Home of the Best RV Trip Planner Ever - Give it a try!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 12:28 PM   #10

Download the All Stays app. Pick a campground. Click on maps and it will show approximate time of travel from home to campground. When you find campground you want program address into your gps. Easy.