Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2015, 10:26 AM   #1

GPS question for Garmin RV 760LM owners

I just got one and love everything about it so far. I would highly recommend it to other rv owners.

Do have a question though. Going to be going to SC in a few months. Found the cg I want to use, less than 15 minutes from my daughters and grandkids. Good directions and will take about 10:28 to get there from my house. I don't think, want, I can drive that long in one day. Would like to drive 6 hours, about 300 miles, first day then finish the trip the next day.

Is there a way to figure out what cg are 6 hours away from my house? Would like to know so I could make reservations in advance. Can I figure it using time or millage? I am guessing I will end up in Virginia somewhere.

If not Maybe there is an app or web site I could use then switch to the GPS?

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:35 AM   #2

When I travel long distances I will find a location that is within the distance I want to drive. I will then do a google search for CG in the area. This works for me maybe others have a better way of doing it.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:49 AM   #3

I don't think it has an option to search based on travel time?

I bought the RV 760LMT when it first came out in 2013 and to be honest I am not very impressed with it. I've had it take me to a locked gate when supposedly directing me me to an Army Corp campground in Vermont. The gate was around 8 miles from the campground and was on the road leading the Corps main office, not the campground. It also attempted to take me over a road where the bridge had been removed 3 years prior. I have found 3 private campgrounds in PA that are not located anywhere close to where the 760 tells you they are. I found half a dozen issues and I'm only using it a few times a year. I wish I could get my money back on it.

I have updated the map/database every time Garmin releases an update and despite emailing them every time I find something inaccurate, and Garmin responding to the email, they have yet to change anything.

Its sort of worthless if you can not trust it to get you to a campground.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 11:02 AM   #4
2012 Solera

I think you can pick a city near where you want to stop for the night, enter that as your destination, then search for campgrounds near your destination.
Have occasionally had the Garmin get me close to the campground, but not quite to it. Have augmented with Google maps when that has happened. Have also had the Garmin find places my wife could not find using her iPad apps. Has gone both ways for us. Neither is perfect.
JLeising is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 11:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
I don't think it has an option to search based on travel time?

I bought the RV 760LMT when it first came out in 2013 and to be honest I am not very impressed with it. I've had it take me to a locked gate when supposedly directing me me to an Army Corp campground in Vermont. The gate was around 8 miles from the campground and was on the road leading the Corps main office, not the campground. It also attempted to take me over a road where the bridge had been removed 3 years prior. I have found 3 private campgrounds in PA that are not located anywhere close to where the 760 tells you they are. I found half a dozen issues and I'm only using it a few times a year. I wish I could get my money back on it.

I have updated the map/database every time Garmin releases an update and despite emailing them every time I find something inaccurate, and Garmin responding to the email, they have yet to change anything.

Its sort of worthless if you can not trust it to get you to a campground.
I have owned other Garmin's and never had a problem, that is why I got this one. There are not to many designed for the rv driver to chose from. Granted I didn't use them to often though. I hope this isn't the bad one!

I had a different brand I had fun with though. Its favorite thing was to tell me to make a U turn! Got dumped off Pa turnpike one day because of an accident. For 45 minutes I heard "Make a U turn as soon as possible." Glad I knew where I was! It was two exits before I could get back on. Was ready to throw it out the window! Finally got smart and shut it off! Was hoping it would tell me a new way I didn't know but gave up on it.

I know they are only a guide but sense I plan on going some places I have never been hope it helps!

Jim
Old 11-23-2015, 11:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeising View Post
I think you can pick a city near where you want to stop for the night, enter that as your destination, then search for campgrounds near your destination.
Have occasionally had the Garmin get me close to the campground, but not quite to it. Have augmented with Google maps when that has happened. Have also had the Garmin find places my wife could not find using her iPad apps. Has gone both ways for us. Neither is perfect.
That is how I found I am going to be stopping in Va.

You are right none are perfect. Use a AAA map and they took me over 100 miles out of my way one day. They tried to take me thru an overpass that was too low once also. I got lucky that day. Stopped a cop I saw sitting in a gas station. He told me how to get where I needed to go. He knew all the short cuts! He took me down a dirt road for a little while but saved me a lot of time.

I don't like overpasses! Saw a 18 wheeler stuck on tv one day. They had repaved the road but didn't upgrade the height signs! He thought he had room but missed by 2 inches. Peeled that trailer back like an aluminum can for 6 feet!

Jim
Old 11-23-2015, 11:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post
I have owned other Garmin's and never had a problem, that is why I got this one. There are not to many designed for the rv driver to chose from. Granted I didn't use them to often though. I hope this isn't the bad one!

I had a different brand I had fun with though. Its favorite thing was to tell me to make a U turn! Got dumped off Pa turnpike one day because of an accident. For 45 minutes I heard "Make a U turn as soon as possible." Glad I knew where I was! It was two exits before I could get back on. Was ready to throw it out the window! Finally got smart and shut it off! Was hoping it would tell me a new way I didn't know but gave up on it.

I know they are only a guide but sense I plan on going some places I have never been hope it helps!

Jim
I always liked the prior Garmin stuff I had in the past also. I have been pissed about this RV760 since the Vermont deal back in 2013. When I ran into the gate I had to back a truck and 25' Hybrid almost 1/2 a mile before I could get to a spot to turn around.

Another issue I found is when you get off the main highways, you'll find a fair amount of roads where its going to tell you "RV accessibility unknown". It may work better in other areas but here in PA it leaves a lot to be desired.

I am biased I guess, as I found out about its shortcomings right after the Amazon return period expired. I bought it full price the day it became available.....$400. I also bought the wires Garmin backup camera, the BC30, that interfaces with it for another $170 and its a piece of junk. It does not have anywhere near the range they claim and the video is very low resolution and compressed the point of almost being worthless.

Maybe I expect too much, but when I pay a premium for something to be specifically for RV use, I expect it to be accurate as far as directing me to RV related destinations?

I could of picked up a regular Garmin for $100.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 12:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
I always liked the prior Garmin stuff I had in the past also. I have been pissed about this RV760 since the Vermont deal back in 2013. When I ran into the gate I had to back a truck and 25' Hybrid almost 1/2 a mile before I could get to a spot to turn around.

Another issue I found is when you get off the main highways, you'll find a fair amount of roads where its going to tell you "RV accessibility unknown". It may work better in other areas but here in PA it leaves a lot to be desired.

I am biased I guess, as I found out about its shortcomings right after the Amazon return period expired. I bought it full price the day it became available.....$400. I also bought the wires Garmin backup camera, the BC30, that interfaces with it for another $170 and its a piece of junk. It does not have anywhere near the range they claim and the video is very low resolution and compressed the point of almost being worthless.

Maybe I expect too much, but when I pay a premium for something to be specifically for RV use, I expect it to be accurate as far as directing me to RV related destinations?

I could of picked up a regular Garmin for $100.
Maybe I should have not given my 100 dollar Garmin to my daughter? Then again, I like the screen size much better on this one! I can understand about being upset because of that 1/2 mile back-up! Would have aggravated me also!

As for the "RV accessibility unknown" statement I could understand that sometimes. Garmin states that many of their maps are from outside sources such as Google. Guess they have no control over what they get and I am sure they don't drive around to check them. On day trips to take wildlife photos I use to use Google Earth. I like the program but have found many of the map photos were 3 or 4 years old. Often they were not accurate, especially if there had been any bad storms in the area. Found bridges out and roads closed quite often.

I have a camera on my truck so am hoping I can use it on this GPS. Haven't really looked at it yet though. If not at least it didn't cost me anything more. Had thought about the camera they sell but decided to wait to see if this one will work. I hope so, like the 7 " screen much better than a 4 " one.

Jim
Old 11-23-2015, 12:22 PM   #9

You could always use Goggle Maps and insert waypoints where you "think" you would like to stop for the night. Or...

Do you travel a lot? if so, this is a KILLER website & RV Travel Planner. It's $39/year and even if you use it for 4-5 trips, IMHO it pays for itself!

Home of the Best RV Trip Planner Ever - Give it a try!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 12:28 PM   #10

Download the All Stays app. Pick a campground. Click on maps and it will show approximate time of travel from home to campground. When you find campground you want program address into your gps. Easy.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:35 PM   #11
Retired Ford Tech

We installed apps for Walmart(Allstays) and also join Passport America if the overnight at Walmart is not your thing. We are full-timers and if we are traveling and want to get to our destination quickly we try and find a Walmart on our route. No hassles of setting up, just use the app to call ahead.
rvpezzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 12:40 PM   #12

We have the Garmin 760LMT and love it. There are two ways to find campgrounds. One, as previously mentioned, is to pick a location about 300 miles down the road and do a campground search. The other is to ask for campgrounds along you full route. The latter gives you flexibility in choosing a campground.
2015 Ford F150 Eco-Boost
BusyRetirees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 01:00 PM   #13
Occasional campers

Finding campgrounds

In response to some comments about problems with finding campgrounds--I've had this, too. My best luck has been with campgrounds that list or will give me latitude and longitude position; with that I've had no problem. Otherwise, my Garmin told me that I was passing a KOA in the Badlands, when in fact there was NOTHING there, and the very nice KOA was several miles further on. On another occasion Ms Garmin told me I'd arrived at the campground when I was still on the Interstate (fortunately, I was near the exit and there were signs once off the main highway)! I always try to download whatever directions may be available from the campground's web site.
Ray and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 01:14 PM   #14
7 Year Class A RV'er

I do what caper does; use Maps to pick a city close to my desired driving range, then look for campgrounds around there. I agree on the six hour driving time completely - didn't buy this nice coach to beat myself to death driving nonstop!

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 01:28 PM   #15

I use the 760, CoPilot and Google maps. all will lead you astray at times. Point of interest listings like Campgrounds are not always accurate and not all roads are mapped as RV Friendly.
But after 12000 miles across the country & back...and much of it NOT on interstates this summer, I trust the Garmin to keep me out of trouble and provide me with solid advice on routes & campgrounds & othere POIs 98% of the time. It has made errors of position on some parks...and it has refused to let me go the shortest route at times since some of the roads were "uncertified". I've used google satellite views on these roads in some cases and if I can find some trucks on the road pix...then I rely on CoPilot or Google and ignore the Garmin.
On the other hand...I've ignored it on the fly a couple of times vs. Google & found some low branches or low clearances.
I've never had a better GPS....nor do I think anything exists that is better. So I just try to use my other stuff to provide a cross check on routing & potential stops and agree with Locomo that allstays is very useful in narrowing down the potential stops for the night. campgroundreviews.com is my next stop in narrowing the possibilities down.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 01:30 PM   #16

I use the plan a trip app from the Good Sam site. It'll show you a line from your departure address to the destination address. You can then pick a point anywhere along that route and it will show you all of the campgrounds in that area. I usually pick a spot very close to the line so I don't have to go far off course. Then I put the stops in my Garmin and go. Has worked very well for me on all of my trips,
bobm253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 01:31 PM   #17

Smile where to stop

I use the good sam's book of campgrounds. Pick out a destination close to the reference cooridanates and go by what i need and price.
RAYSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 02:53 PM   #18
TGR

When I’m planning a trip, I use the free Garmin program BaseCamp (that runs on my PC), Google Maps and the Internet to pick my layover locations and search for stuff to see.

A feature of BaseCamp is the ability to tell it how long you want to drive. The program breaks up the trip into manageable bites based on your criteria. I further refine these layover locations by picking where I’ll be camping and adjust BaseCamp to these locations. Once finished, I can transfer my BaseCamp route to the Garmin GPS. The RV-760LMT may pick a different route to these stopover points so I refine that route with waypoints to get the final trip to conform to my plans.

BaseCamp is not as intuitive as I'd like, making it somewhat difficult to use. For long trips, I prefer a different route out than I take for the return trip so planning this out is worth the bother to me but many may find the program too frustrating to be useful.

I particularly like the RV-760LMT’s large screen, lane advice and repeatability. Google Maps is getting better all the time but I still prefer to use the Garmin RV-760LMT with Google Maps as a second opinion.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:01 PM   #19
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post
Is there a way to figure out what cg are 6 hours away from my house? Would like to know so I could make reservations in advance. Can I figure it using time or millage? I am guessing I will end up in Virginia somewhere.
We tow at 63mph. Our estimated miles per hour (including stops for gas and stretches) is about 50 mph. So we would cover 300 miles in 6 hours. In essence, we're doing miles and time.
Quote:
If not Maybe there is an app or web site I could use then switch to the GPS?
I pull up Google maps and start at my house. I don't enter the entire trip at once, but "ease on down the road" noting mileage as I enter cities further and further away. When I hit a city (or interstate exit) at my target mileage, I then get the ZIP code of the closest town and use that on a CG search on the Good Sam site. (ZIP codes speed up searches really fast.)
I then enter the route on my GPS.
Using Google maps lets you look at the route. If an intersection or exit looks confusing, go to street view and drive it virtually.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 03:14 PM   #20

The Garmin has a lot of campgrounds in its database. I have searched that database until I found something about the right distance. There are other choices as well. KOA has an app and so does Good Sam Both of these have helped me.

I find the Garmin to be a bit conservative. It wants to bypass a road I travel all the time that saves 30 minutes going North from my home to I75.

Otherwise, it is OK.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote