Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2018, 07:55 PM   #1

GPS Tracking Security Recommendations

I'd like to install DIY install - GPS trackers on my FR toyhauler and Polaris Rzr UTV. Any recommendations with those with experience would be great.
LoJack is a bit pricey, as I'm thinking in the 200 to 400 dollar realm. Or less. And I'd like to be able to remove it, and LoJack hides the unit.
ADVtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 08:07 PM   #2

Looks like there are several under $100 on Amazon. Was reading comments on one where he caught his wife visiting her “boy Toy”.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 08:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired JSO View Post
Looks like there are several under $100 on Amazon. Was reading comments on one where he caught his wife visiting her “boy Toy”.
That's funny for us, sad for him. Unless he is looking for divorce ammo...
That being typed, I want it for security purposes. We keep our trailer stored, and it would be nice to see where it is if it disappears. UTV too. Got too many custom and personal mods done to get a shock if I go to pick it up and it's GONE. LoJack is good stuff, but so secure even the owner doesn't know where it is on the vehicle.
Want something I can move if I trade up.
Old 09-01-2018, 09:23 PM   #4

Spy Tec STI GL300 Mini Portable Real Time Personal and Vehicle GPS Tracker https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JG8KCLO..._KL0IBb79AR821

It was this one.
Old 09-01-2018, 09:47 PM   #5

After my first trailer was stolen from a storage yard, I was definitely putting a tracker on the replacement. After a bunch of research I decided to give this a shot:

https://www.amazon.com/Trak4-Mobile-...keywords=trak4

So far I'm a fan. Not very expensive and the monthly charges are very reasonable. When I take my trailer out for a trip, I soon get a text and email letting me know my asset is on the move. Bang for the buck wise I don't think it can be beat.
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 06:56 PM   #6
jkoenig24

I recently read that thieves activate a device which negates LoJack (or other tracking device) when they steal a vehicle so, you might want to look into that before dropping a wad of cash.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 07:48 PM   #7

GPS blockers

I hadn't thought about it but there are devices to defeat trackers.

https://tinyurl.com/y8vusmjy

vasnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 08:16 PM   #8

GPS Tracking Security Recommendations

A shame one has to do this.
Old 09-04-2018, 01:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired JSO View Post
A shame one has to do this.
True.

And thanks, DavidBo,; I think I'll order the Trak 4. 50 bucks and the yearly rate is peanuts compared to others.
As for GPS defeating devices, I don't know but I'd guess most RV and RZR utv thieves are opportunity - bad guys. Not high tech Breaking Bad types making a living with a GPS defeat device. It's more like tweakers looking for a new lab or venereal disease nest. My FR is a 2011, not a Lamborghini. No succesful professional thieves would give it a second look with faded decals and such. But, I could be wrong. But I do appreciate the info, thank you.

Thanks to all for the feedback.
Old 09-04-2018, 01:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBo View Post
After my first trailer was stolen from a storage yard, I was definitely putting a tracker on the replacement. After a bunch of research I decided to give this a shot:

https://www.amazon.com/Trak4-Mobile-...keywords=trak4

So far I'm a fan. Not very expensive and the monthly charges are very reasonable. When I take my trailer out for a trip, I soon get a text and email letting me know my asset is on the move. Bang for the buck wise I don't think it can be beat.
Thank you. I just ordered 2 of them.