Old 07-21-2016, 05:17 AM   #11
Originally Posted by ilmor View Post
Hey thanks, that's good to know. Speed limits aren't too important to me though...if 55, I drive 62. If 60 I drive 62. If 70 I drive 62.
I drive 65, lol

Because the Nav thinks the speed limits are lower than what they are, the time to get to your destination will be way off when you first input it. It may also take you a bit of time to get used to the programming quirks, but don't give up. It likes to guess addresses when you start inputting them but you can actually manage to put the correct address in with a little patience

Also don't be alarmed if your radio cuts out on occassion. it is happening because the navigator is trying to provide you with voice directions that will most likely be turned off. Don't ask how to turn it on or to choose the proper language, I like it off so never did try and figure that part out.

A tip. when your using the navigator and it is in map mode, the road you are on will always be aligned bottom to top and you will always be driving up the screen. To see what direction (N,S,E,W) you are going and to get all kinds of additional interesting information. press on lower left hand corner of the screen. It will open another screen. to go back to the map press again.

ShermanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 06:27 AM   #12
Originally Posted by ilmor View Post
Hey thanks, that's good to know. Speed limits aren't too important to me though...if 55, I drive 62. If 60 I drive 62. If 70 I drive 62.
I drive 62 or the speed limit. Whichever is lower.

2016 Coachmen Freedom Express Liberty Edition 310BHDS
2015 Toyota Tundra 5.7L V8 with towing package
Husky weight distribution hitch with sway control
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 06:44 AM   #13
I have a Garmin 2557 LTM which has been a great unit. The only avoidance I ticked off on the set up was "dirt roads"

If I'm travelling to an area that I'm unfamiliar with, I print out a paper copy of a Google Maps route. I compare that route with the Garmin route to see if they're consistent. I also review a road map .

When I leave I have a sense of what route I want to take and if the Garmin redirects me I keep on my course, it will eventually stop trying to correct and will put you on track.
Dave, Southern,ON

2009 GMC K1500 4x4 Crew Cab
2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 12:46 PM   #14

I have found that on both the Garmin and CW GPS units we have that you get bad routing when you input shortest distance as your criteria - try fastest route to stay on bigger roads
NavigatorC130A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 12:56 PM   #15
I trust my Nuvi 2797 way more than the built in GPS that came on the truck. Now, I do NOT know which is more accurate......I just like the GPS more than the built in unit. Built in unit is nice to have, glad it's with OnStar. Better than pulling over to read a map.

But the 2797 LMT is way more robust. Elevation, speed (proves that my speedometer is not correct), time to destination, distance to destination, stop time, on and on...........just way better. to find a place to put the big monitor it uses, and a TPMS monitor when I get one, and the backup camera monitor????
"Next to prayer, fishing is the most personal relationship of man"Calvin Coolidge
"American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of God"Lewis Grizzard

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 01:05 PM   #16
I had some issues with my Magellan RV GPS so when it quit working I stopped at Camping World and bought the Good Sam Rand McNalley RV unit. I used it throughout Washington, Oregon and back to California and it worked well. I always plan my trips using the AAA online trip routing system which lets me save our trips. I then compare the GPS routing and make adjustments if necessary. It's also a good idea to read the campground directions as well because most RV GPS will run you around the block to save a left turn. Some of those around the blocks could be five miles or more.
Gary and Donna
2005 Cardinal 33TS-LX
Trail Air pin box
Center Point suspension
2005 F-350 6.0 psd CC SRW
PullRite Super 5th
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 01:13 PM   #17
ditto the Garmin

Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
I've used Garmin units [4] since the Street Pilot 3 came out in 2000 and the only time they have let me down was in Washington DC on Memorial Day weekend when there were roads blocked and re-routed. Needless to say the GPS didn't know this.
As of right now, I have three active Garmin units in my car, truck and boat and literally could not do without them. My wife's car has a unit made by Pioneer and it stinks. In a Lexus???
I use the Garmin and never had a problem that wasn't induced by me, I keep it handy but now my new truck has built in Navigation that works well. We'll see if it gets me to Tetons and back as well.
Rivnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 01:13 PM   #18
We rarely plot in advance, usually only a general idea of where we are headed. I love a paper map, and scope out areas or places to see. We may reach a town and see an interesting spot to stop, and there goes part of the day. I use Google Maps, love that it alerts us to construction and traffic slowdowns. Using it plus a paper map allows us to avoid large cities, freeways and see the real country side.
Pam & Steve &
Jingle the traveling cat

2006 Lexington 283GTS
towing a Harley or a Vue
frogsandhogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 01:26 PM   #19
I use three...for planning and routing.
1. Garmin 760LMT...which always keeps me on safe roads but sometimes takes the longer way to things I know I can use other roads to get to.
2. Google give me alternatives for a CAR...that MAY be ok for my RV... I then program in way points on my Garmin to insure theres no dangers...but it just doesn't know all the roads so sometimes won't route me on the roads I want and DO know.
3. CoPilot...allows me to enter the height of my RV and drag and drop route decisions. Warns me when there is a problem with a road. Works with off line maps so when google loses touch...Co Pilot keeps working. LIKE!
2015 Georgetown 280DS
2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 01:37 PM   #20
WAZE has worked for us too, We also use a Rand Mcnally , i like the height and width cautions. Some of the campgrounds listed only take you to the center of townor take you to a address on a frontage road wih no access to the CG. So double checking is good Happy Travels

Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote