Old 07-20-2016, 10:47 PM   #1

GPS units - personal use comment

Thought I would share our humble opinions on the offerings available. We are currently out on a several week run and like many or most people we use GPS to get from point A to point B with paper maps for backup. The old unit we have had for quite some time is a Garmin Nuvi 2597 and is serves well for use in the car or truck without the TT attached. Trying to use it with the TT it has run us in circles, down dead ends, forced U-turns and roads so narrow and dangerous we are just happy to have survived.

After the Nuvi that was suppose to take us to Walmart to pick up some supplies, while on the way to our next camp site, took us into a residential area where the streets were so narrow I could barely get though and there was NO Walmart. We decided to get a GPS designed for RV'ers. Finally found a Camping World and purchased one of their GoodSam units. That evening I set all the information about the length, width, weight and height of our unit and to avoid highways since we prefer to travel on none interstate roads for a slower pace and to see the sites. Right out of the gate it too us on secondary roads that were so twisty a snake would lose it lunch and again barely wide enough for the TT. A 12 mile scare fest that was totally uncalled for when a 6 mile run on a good US highway would have gotten us to the same place. And yes I could have turned around after I discovered what was happening IF there had been a safe place to do it.

After returning the GoodSam unit I let Google Maps take a shot at it, same thing. If you tell it to exclude interstate roads you get routed onto narrow, dangerous secondary roads.

Why can they not create a unit that will route you on good ole US highways that are not part of the interstate system where you get crowded by semi's and high speeds. I have an issue being on the road with semi's after I was run over by one on an interstate.

Old 07-20-2016, 11:09 PM   #2

Around here there are GPS units that get big trucks and vehicles pulling trailers (campers) in great trouble and causing accidents so often the now the local authorities have had to put signs up forbidding trucks and campers from going down certain roads. The signs originally stated do not follow GPS directions no trucks. It got so bad large vehicles campers / tractor trailers, using the roads had to be ticketed with a large fine. These are State and US highway numbed roads ( not just back roads............ Such as US Rt43 and State Hwy 116, Rt 8 is another........................

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 11:31 PM   #3

We gave up on the GPS units. Too many updates and inaccuracies for the time and $$$. We now use Google maps/navigation on our phones with great success. We plot our routes the night before and then research any road not on the interstate to ensure we don't run into problems with the RV. So far so good! Google is your friend!!
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 11:59 PM   #4

Another good app on your smart phone is called WAZE, Have used it and very satisfied and its free.
Broadway Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 01:11 AM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to Blackhat6mike
I've used Garmin units [4] since the Street Pilot 3 came out in 2000 and the only time they have let me down was in Washington DC on Memorial Day weekend when there were roads blocked and re-routed. Needless to say the GPS didn't know this.
As of right now, I have three active Garmin units in my car, truck and boat and literally could not do without them. My wife's car has a unit made by Pioneer and it stinks. In a Lexus???
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
"First In, Last Out". 11B4Y
DAV, MOPH, VFW, 5/7 Cav,1/8 Cav Assoc.
11th ABN Pathfinder Co. N7MIP
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 05:21 AM   #6

Before I take a trip, I will use Google Maps on my tablet and have it plot me a route. I will then edit the route to use roads I prefer then save it under my Google account. I can now access this route on a phone app called "My Maps". This will allow me to access these routes at any point in the future as well. For example, I plotted a route from MA to Orlando last April. I used the same route when I went to Gettysburg a couple of weeks ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2016 Coachmen Freedom Express Liberty Edition 310BHDS
2013 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LTZ 6.6L V8 Duramax
Husky weight distribution hitch with sway control
timfromma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 05:38 AM   #7

I used to use a Garmin, then after Apple Maps came out I switched to that on my iPhone. Both of those always got me where I wanted to go without issues. But in any event, what I do before I go anywhere is get on Bing or Google maps and determine the route I want to take. Then, I double check the Garmin / iPhone to make sure its taking me the same way. If not, I just ignore it along the way until it re-calculates.

My new Sunseeker has the Jensen NAV. I'll be trying it out first time today on a short trip. I still know my route beforehand however. Always have a back up plan.

Old 07-21-2016, 05:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky-N View Post
Why can they not create a unit that will route you on good ole US highways that are not part of the interstate system where you get crowded by semi's and high speeds. I have an issue being on the road with semi's after I was run over by one on an interstate.
The answer is rather simple. Roads in most areas were once trails that led from one town to the next. Our forefathers did not cut down trees, move bolders, build bridges, they followed the lay of the land, they followed streams and rivers until they found a place they could cross.

Highways were originally built to move the military fast from one place to another. For Large trucks to move quickly across the country.

You want to drive rural roads, you drive a vehicle designed for them.
Old 07-21-2016, 05:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmor View Post

My new Sunseeker has the Jensen NAV. I'll be trying it out first time today on a short trip. I still know my route beforehand however. Always have a back up plan.

The nav on the Sunseeker actually works pretty decent and you can input your vehicles dimensions.

The only thing we have found wrong about it is the "Speed Limits" They must be from the mid 80's when we had the Oil crisis and they reduced the speeds on the interstates. It listed the speed limit on roads at an average of 10 mph than they actually were.
Old 07-21-2016, 05:53 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShermanD View Post
The nav on the Wunseeker actually works pretty decent and you can input your vehicles dimensions.

The only thing we have found wrong about it is the "Speed Limits" They must be from the mid 80's when we had the Oil crisis and they reduced the speeds on the interstates. It listed the speed limit on roads at an average of 10 mph than they actually were.
Hey thanks, that's good to know. Speed limits aren't too important to me though...if 55, I drive 62. If 60 I drive 62. If 70 I drive 62.