Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2016, 09:47 PM   #1

GPS units - personal use comment

Thought I would share our humble opinions on the offerings available. We are currently out on a several week run and like many or most people we use GPS to get from point A to point B with paper maps for backup. The old unit we have had for quite some time is a Garmin Nuvi 2597 and is serves well for use in the car or truck without the TT attached. Trying to use it with the TT it has run us in circles, down dead ends, forced U-turns and roads so narrow and dangerous we are just happy to have survived.

After the Nuvi that was suppose to take us to Walmart to pick up some supplies, while on the way to our next camp site, took us into a residential area where the streets were so narrow I could barely get though and there was NO Walmart. We decided to get a GPS designed for RV'ers. Finally found a Camping World and purchased one of their GoodSam units. That evening I set all the information about the length, width, weight and height of our unit and to avoid highways since we prefer to travel on none interstate roads for a slower pace and to see the sites. Right out of the gate it too us on secondary roads that were so twisty a snake would lose it lunch and again barely wide enough for the TT. A 12 mile scare fest that was totally uncalled for when a 6 mile run on a good US highway would have gotten us to the same place. And yes I could have turned around after I discovered what was happening IF there had been a safe place to do it.

After returning the GoodSam unit I let Google Maps take a shot at it, same thing. If you tell it to exclude interstate roads you get routed onto narrow, dangerous secondary roads.

Why can they not create a unit that will route you on good ole US highways that are not part of the interstate system where you get crowded by semi's and high speeds. I have an issue being on the road with semi's after I was run over by one on an interstate.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:09 PM   #2

Around here there are GPS units that get big trucks and vehicles pulling trailers (campers) in great trouble and causing accidents so often the now the local authorities have had to put signs up forbidding trucks and campers from going down certain roads. The signs originally stated do not follow GPS directions no trucks. It got so bad large vehicles campers / tractor trailers, using the roads had to be ticketed with a large fine. These are State and US highway numbed roads ( not just back roads............ Such as US Rt43 and State Hwy 116, Rt 8 is another........................

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:31 PM   #3

We gave up on the GPS units. Too many updates and inaccuracies for the time and $$$. We now use Google maps/navigation on our phones with great success. We plot our routes the night before and then research any road not on the interstate to ensure we don't run into problems with the RV. So far so good! Google is your friend!!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:59 PM   #4

Another good app on your smart phone is called WAZE, Have used it and very satisfied and its free.
Broadway Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 12:11 AM   #5

I've used Garmin units [4] since the Street Pilot 3 came out in 2000 and the only time they have let me down was in Washington DC on Memorial Day weekend when there were roads blocked and re-routed. Needless to say the GPS didn't know this.
As of right now, I have three active Garmin units in my car, truck and boat and literally could not do without them. My wife's car has a unit made by Pioneer and it stinks. In a Lexus???
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 04:21 AM   #6
Insert witty title here

Before I take a trip, I will use Google Maps on my tablet and have it plot me a route. I will then edit the route to use roads I prefer then save it under my Google account. I can now access this route on a phone app called "My Maps". This will allow me to access these routes at any point in the future as well. For example, I plotted a route from MA to Orlando last April. I used the same route when I went to Gettysburg a couple of weeks ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 04:38 AM   #7

I used to use a Garmin, then after Apple Maps came out I switched to that on my iPhone. Both of those always got me where I wanted to go without issues. But in any event, what I do before I go anywhere is get on Bing or Google maps and determine the route I want to take. Then, I double check the Garmin / iPhone to make sure its taking me the same way. If not, I just ignore it along the way until it re-calculates.

My new Sunseeker has the Jensen NAV. I'll be trying it out first time today on a short trip. I still know my route beforehand however. Always have a back up plan.

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 04:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky-N View Post
Why can they not create a unit that will route you on good ole US highways that are not part of the interstate system where you get crowded by semi's and high speeds. I have an issue being on the road with semi's after I was run over by one on an interstate.
The answer is rather simple. Roads in most areas were once trails that led from one town to the next. Our forefathers did not cut down trees, move bolders, build bridges, they followed the lay of the land, they followed streams and rivers until they found a place they could cross.

Highways were originally built to move the military fast from one place to another. For Large trucks to move quickly across the country.

You want to drive rural roads, you drive a vehicle designed for them.
ShermanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 04:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmor View Post

My new Sunseeker has the Jensen NAV. I'll be trying it out first time today on a short trip. I still know my route beforehand however. Always have a back up plan.

The nav on the Sunseeker actually works pretty decent and you can input your vehicles dimensions.

The only thing we have found wrong about it is the "Speed Limits" They must be from the mid 80's when we had the Oil crisis and they reduced the speeds on the interstates. It listed the speed limit on roads at an average of 10 mph than they actually were.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:53 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShermanD View Post
The nav on the Wunseeker actually works pretty decent and you can input your vehicles dimensions.

The only thing we have found wrong about it is the "Speed Limits" They must be from the mid 80's when we had the Oil crisis and they reduced the speeds on the interstates. It listed the speed limit on roads at an average of 10 mph than they actually were.
Hey thanks, that's good to know. Speed limits aren't too important to me though...if 55, I drive 62. If 60 I drive 62. If 70 I drive 62.

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 05:17 AM   #11

Quote:
Hey thanks, that's good to know. Speed limits aren't too important to me though...if 55, I drive 62. If 60 I drive 62. If 70 I drive 62.
I drive 65, lol

Because the Nav thinks the speed limits are lower than what they are, the time to get to your destination will be way off when you first input it. It may also take you a bit of time to get used to the programming quirks, but don't give up. It likes to guess addresses when you start inputting them but you can actually manage to put the correct address in with a little patience

Also don't be alarmed if your radio cuts out on occassion. it is happening because the navigator is trying to provide you with voice directions that will most likely be turned off. Don't ask how to turn it on or to choose the proper language, I like it off so never did try and figure that part out.

A tip. when your using the navigator and it is in map mode, the road you are on will always be aligned bottom to top and you will always be driving up the screen. To see what direction (N,S,E,W) you are going and to get all kinds of additional interesting information. press on lower left hand corner of the screen. It will open another screen. to go back to the map press again.
Old 07-21-2016, 06:27 AM   #12
Insert witty title here

Quote:
I drive 62 or the speed limit. Whichever is lower.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 06:44 AM   #13

I have a Garmin 2557 LTM which has been a great unit. The only avoidance I ticked off on the set up was "dirt roads"

If I'm travelling to an area that I'm unfamiliar with, I print out a paper copy of a Google Maps route. I compare that route with the Garmin route to see if they're consistent. I also review a road map .

When I leave I have a sense of what route I want to take and if the Garmin redirects me I keep on my course, it will eventually stop trying to correct and will put you on track.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 12:46 PM   #14

GPS

I have found that on both the Garmin and CW GPS units we have that you get bad routing when you input shortest distance as your criteria - try fastest route to stay on bigger roads
NavigatorC130A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 12:56 PM   #15

I trust my Nuvi 2797 way more than the built in GPS that came on the truck. Now, I do NOT know which is more accurate......I just like the GPS more than the built in unit. Built in unit is nice to have, glad it's there.......works with OnStar. Better than pulling over to read a map.

But the 2797 LMT is way more robust. Elevation, speed (proves that my speedometer is not correct), time to destination, distance to destination, stop time, on and on...........just way better.

NOW....how to find a place to put the big monitor it uses, and a TPMS monitor when I get one, and the backup camera monitor????

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 01:05 PM   #16

I had some issues with my Magellan RV GPS so when it quit working I stopped at Camping World and bought the Good Sam Rand McNalley RV unit. I used it throughout Washington, Oregon and back to California and it worked well. I always plan my trips using the AAA online trip routing system which lets me save our trips. I then compare the GPS routing and make adjustments if necessary. It's also a good idea to read the campground directions as well because most RV GPS will run you around the block to save a left turn. Some of those around the blocks could be five miles or more.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 01:13 PM   #17
Rivnut

ditto the Garmin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
I've used Garmin units [4] since the Street Pilot 3 came out in 2000 and the only time they have let me down was in Washington DC on Memorial Day weekend when there were roads blocked and re-routed. Needless to say the GPS didn't know this.
As of right now, I have three active Garmin units in my car, truck and boat and literally could not do without them. My wife's car has a unit made by Pioneer and it stinks. In a Lexus???
I use the Garmin and never had a problem that wasn't induced by me, I keep it handy but now my new truck has built in Navigation that works well. We'll see if it gets me to Tetons and back as well.
Rivnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 01:13 PM   #18

We rarely plot in advance, usually only a general idea of where we are headed. I love a paper map, and scope out areas or places to see. We may reach a town and see an interesting spot to stop, and there goes part of the day. I use Google Maps, love that it alerts us to construction and traffic slowdowns. Using it plus a paper map allows us to avoid large cities, freeways and see the real country side.
frogsandhogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 01:26 PM   #19

I use three...for planning and routing.
1. Garmin 760LMT...which always keeps me on safe roads but sometimes takes the longer way to things I know I can use other roads to get to.
2. Google Maps....to give me alternatives for a CAR...that MAY be ok for my RV... I then program in way points on my Garmin to insure theres no dangers...but it just doesn't know all the roads so sometimes won't route me on the roads I want and DO know.
3. CoPilot...allows me to enter the height of my RV and drag and drop route decisions. Warns me when there is a problem with a road. Works with off line maps so when google loses touch...Co Pilot keeps working. LIKE!
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 01:37 PM   #20

WAZE has worked for us too, We also use a Rand Mcnally , i like the height and width cautions. Some of the campgrounds listed only take you to the center of townor take you to a address on a frontage road wih no access to the CG. So double checking is good Happy Travels
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote