Old 12-11-2017, 05:29 AM   #1

GPS vehicle tracking device

Hi I am seeking recommendations and a GPS tracking device for my Rockwood mini. All pros and cons will be appreciated. Looking for a low annual subscription fee. Want to track unitís whereabouts and ensure it is not removed from the storage space parking spot. Battery life important factor too, since it wonít be hard-wired. Thanks everyone!

Old 12-11-2017, 05:34 AM   #2
"On the road again"

Send a message via AIM to rjshiflet
I've never had any experience with it, but here's a website that supposedly quotes you comparative prices on GPS Vehicle Tracking: https://goo.gl/b6ZJXH

Robert & Estha Shiflet
'17 Cardinal 3456RL - '17 Ford F350 Lariat Ultimate - DRW w/B&W OEM Companion hitch
Nights Camping 2012 & 2013 & 2014 & 2015 & 2016 & 2017: 712 ~ Nights Camping 2018: 24
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 01:32 PM   #3
Head Rambler

I wonder how those key/toy trackers would work in a case like this. You may not be able to see the speed and direction it's headed, but if there are other users nearby running the app, it's updates the location of any device in range.

There have been several reports of people using them to locate their car that had been moved. Even a few where the car had been towed and the device location updated by nearby users apps.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:46 PM   #4
Oh_So_New

Location: Currently - Clinton, WA Temp - 1590 Luna Media, Fort Mohave, AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
I wonder how those key/toy trackers would work in a case like this. You may not be able to see the speed and direction it's headed, but if there are other users nearby running the app, it's updates the location of any device in range.

There have been several reports of people using them to locate their car that had been moved. Even a few where the car had been towed and the device location updated by nearby users apps.

I would be careful with the Bluetooth based trackers. Yes, there are others using them and they have a loose network that can track devices but they are NOT gps systems themselves. If your unit is moved to a location where there are no tiny trackers or Bluetooth doesnít reach, it is as bad as nothing until the trackerís battery goes dead (about a year) then you are back to nothing.

I have six little units myself and there are times when I canít find my spare keys in the pantry because neither the DW nor I have been in there for weeks.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:04 PM   #5

We have a Lojack system, Hopefully will never have to use it. I believe its about $10.00 per month fee.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:06 PM   #6
Site Team

I have several bluetooth trackers, They might find your keys if you misplace them in your house. Other than that they are mostly hype. The range is poor and battery life terrible.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 02:29 PM   #7

I have the SVR Series - Nimbo Tracking on my Ram 2500 it was included as part of the deal when I bought the truck while living in Southern CA my previous truck a Chevy 2500 was stolen from a Sam's Club parking lot and never recovered so the GPS was a welcome addition. It was a one time fee and no monthly charges if you want to monitor your vehicle if I remember correctly the computer/phone app is $69.00 a year it allows you to monitor where the vehicle is and gives you all sorts of location reports and setup boundary alerts. Here is an example using the computer logon to track your vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nimbo.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	247.6 KB
ID:	158132  

2016 Rockwood 2703 Emerald Edition
Ejs4029 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 12:11 PM   #8

I use a Track Mate mini h 3g in my truck. It has an internal battery but not a long battery life so I have it hard wired, it displays the vehicle voltage on the map along with location. Not sure too many units will have long battery life. Its $9/month for the Saver service which gives updates every 5 minutes. You can set it up so you will get an alert on your phone in the event the vehicle is moved out of a pre designated area.
Old 12-12-2017, 12:57 PM   #9

FWIW - and I appreciate this would not be of any use for a TT or 5th wheel. I have one of those devices supplied by my car insurance company that they provide free as an incentive to lower your premium - monitors acceleration and braking, time of day and distance. It obviously tracks GPS too because in the website that you go on to review your information it shows the route taken.
Old 12-12-2017, 04:07 PM   #10
jkoenig24

A car trailer I had was stolen on its' maiden voyage. Apparently, Elkhart, IN is THE trailer theft capital of America.