Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2011, 05:36 PM   #1

gray water valve open?

A camping friend tells me that he leaves his gray water valve open while camping in order to avoid dumping it after two or three days of showers and dish-washing. I have always heard it's a bad idea to have an open connection to the sewer dump, but he says traps in the sinks and shower prevent any problems. I'd like to hear what some of you guys think. Thanks.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 06:02 PM   #2

Have done it both ways with no problems.

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 06:35 PM   #3

We have been fulltime now for 5 years, with two different 5th wheels. We have always left the gray tanks open, present 5th wheel has two gray tanks, other had one. I do keep the black tank closed and dump every few days. I have opened the black tank a few times, if you do, make sure you use A LOT OF WATER. Your home commmode uses about 1 gallon of water, per flush. I did not leave the black tank open with old 5th wheel. The new one has a raise system in the black tank, and when we do leave it open, I used it once a week, and use LOTS of water. Also, we use a bath tissue that breaks down easy, (it's kind of crude but it works, take a piece of tissue of the kind you want to use, throw into the toliet, then have "the man of the house" use the toliet, if the piece of tissue breaks up, it is good, if not get something else). Scott Extra Soft, is what we have used, it breaks up very easy, and many others use it, also with no problems.

It is up to you of course, but I have no problems leaving the gray tanks open.

Hope this helps God bless,
Mike
2007 - Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins
May God bless
WA8MRU
mike1poles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 06:44 PM   #4

I do leave the gray tank open but to stop the sewer gases from even coming into the camper, with the use of a side-winder hose support I create a trap right at the CG sewer connection.
frankm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:26 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
A camping friend tells me that he leaves his gray water valve open while camping in order to avoid dumping it after two or three days of showers and dish-washing. I have always heard it's a bad idea to have an open connection to the sewer dump, but he says traps in the sinks and shower prevent any problems. I'd like to hear what some of you guys think. Thanks.
Your friend is correct; however I do not leave mine open because that way I always have a mostly full gray tank to flush out the plumbing and hose with after I dump black.

When I used to leave it open, I was always getting the "Honey, the black tank is full" call with an empty gray tank. I kept forgetting to close it the day before to catch the shower water.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:36 PM   #6

On weekend trips (2-3 nights) I leave it (the gray) closed so I can flush the line after dumping the black tank.
On longer stays I will leave both gray tanks open from the start & close them with 2 days left, again to have something to flush the line after dumping the black.
3 Happy Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Happy Campers View Post
On weekend trips (2-3 nights) I leave it (the gray) closed so I can flush the line after dumping the black tank.
On longer stays I will leave both gray tanks open from the start & close them with 2 days left, again to have something to flush the line after dumping the black.
X2 (on the few occasions that we have hook ups)

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
David & Audra (16 year old twins)
2006 Dodge Power Wagon (Adventure & Tow Vehicle)
2006 Rockwood 8281SS (Home away from Home)
Glenn5995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:37 AM   #8

Thanks for all your input. Makes sense. Another fear put to rest.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote