Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2012, 01:59 PM   #1

Graywater question

I only have sink drain on popup. My question is at full hookup sites can I drain gray water straight into the sewer hook up or do I have to collect and dump at dump station?
Stevelitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:00 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevelitt
I only have sink drain on popup. My question is at full hookup sites can I drain gray water straight into the sewer hook up or do I have to collect and dump at dump station?
Yes you can drain grey into sewer hose
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:25 PM   #3

Another grey water question.

Our old 1997 Jayco popup and a friend's 2009 Coleman popup had a waste "garden" hose connection from the sink. We used to just used roll out a the garden hose from the popup and drain to the ground. This would be the same as tent campers who wash their dishes in a bucket and tip it out on the ground.

My question is if you are only using your kitchen sink is it ok to drain your grey water to ground??

Oh and what about the outdoor shower.

2020 Salem Cruise Lite 241QBXL
2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn Eco-Diesel
Previous Trailer -> 2012 Rockwood Roo 233s
-> 1996 Jayco 1207
Barney1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:29 PM   #4

I would say not to drain gray water on the ground due to chemicals in it. A safe option is taking to bath house and flushing or pouring into pit toilets. I adapted a garden hose to hook to drain and empty into a 5 gallon blue water jug.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:37 PM   #5

Gray water discussions around here can get pretty heated. Depends on the state and local laws on whether you can just let it run on the ground. If not, one of those portable totes can be used to collect the water and transport to the dump station.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:42 PM   #6

If you leave a hose connected to the sewer and connected to your pop up drain, you may get some sewer gas smell from the sink. I assume you don't have a holding tank.

If I'm conencted to a sewer on site with my TT, I never leave the dump valves open. Let the tanks fill up, then dump. This prevents sewer smells from entering and allows for proper dumping/clearing out of the sediment & solid waste in the tanks.

You could collect grey water in a tote or bucket, and dump it down the sewer as needed.
SCOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:57 PM   #7

It seems that a lot of people here in Ontario with popups and no holding tanks drain their sinks to ground. I'm our new Roo 233s I am not sure what to do. We haven't used the black water tank yet and there are no chemicals in the grey water tank other than soap.

Totes are $$$$$$

2020 Salem Cruise Lite 241QBXL
2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn Eco-Diesel
Previous Trailer -> 2012 Rockwood Roo 233s
-> 1996 Jayco 1207
Barney1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:07 PM   #8

To be on the safe side, I would dispose of it at the dumpsite or down the sewer hook up
Old 05-31-2012, 03:46 PM   #9

Top stop the smell from coming up hose from sewer. Just make an P trap in hose. this is not hard to do. Just raise hose at a couple of stops. This will let water stay in low spot.

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:27 AM   #10

If you got food particles in your gray water it could attract critters if you just dump it on the ground. In bear country that could be a problem not only for you but the guy that comes after you...

You can dump into the sewer but you will need a P trap like said above and you could use something like this.

Google Image Result for http://images.campingworld.com/is/image/CWI/multiimages/36542n.jpg%3Fop_sharpen%3D1%26layer%3D1%26src%3DCW I/logo.gif%26sizeN%3D0.3,0.3%26posN%3D.32,.3%26opac% 3D20
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney1 View Post
Another grey water question.

Our old 1997 Jayco popup and a friend's 2009 Coleman popup had a waste "garden" hose connection from the sink. We used to just used roll out a the garden hose from the popup and drain to the ground. This would be the same as tent campers who wash their dishes in a bucket and tip it out on the ground.

My question is if you are only using your kitchen sink is it ok to drain your grey water to ground??

Oh and what about the outdoor shower.
Ask theperson with the Green Smokey the Bear Hat. They will gladly tell you,some will even charge for the services! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote