Old 09-03-2015, 04:16 AM   #1

Is there a certain type of grease that you use on your hitches and also do you grease on your slide gears that extend and retract the slides on your TT?

jaymo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 05:07 AM   #2
I use the dry lube spray grease on my slide gears that extend/retract the slides. On the hitch i use grease for wheel bearings or what you typically find at walmart.

2014 Wildwood 300BH
2014 Ford Explorer XLT
2011 Ford F350 FX4
Eastlake, OH
EastlakeRoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 06:25 AM   #3
When we bought our 5th wheel, the dealer gave us this plastic disc thingy that does the same thing as the grease without the mess. We only hook up twice a year, to get the RV to and from the lake property, but it's worked for us so far.
"Wrinkles only go where the smiles have been." ~ Jimmy Buffet

Don, Kim, Donny Jr., Sarge, Ginger & Buddy ~ Pittsburgh, PA
Sharps45120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:32 AM   #4
we have that plastic disk as well and we have our 5er out multiple times in the year we bought its and its holding up great
nducker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:58 AM   #5
The dry lube plate does work great for 5er's but you still need to grease the king pin and locking jaws. Steel on Steel will lead to friction and wear of the metal components. At least when I was an engineer it would.

As stated above use a dry silicone spray for the sidle room tracks this will prevent dirt from being trapped in the lubricant and wearing out the gears on the retraction device.

If you have a TT just use a light amount of wheel bearing grease on the ball joint and clean this between trips. I carry a 1lb plastic tub in my front bay with paper wipes for the king pin joint to grease with every trip.
Jim W.
2016 34RL CC; 2008 Ram Mega Cab 2500HD, 6.7L, 68RFE 6 speed, 4X4, Smarty S67
Jim34RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 01:14 PM   #6
I never thought about the putting grease on the king pin. Better do that before my next trip
nducker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 01:43 PM   #7
Yep, something else to add to honey do list. We tried the plastic disc but didn't work/fit our trailer (sidewinder with 5th airborne set up). Plus, I always thought the disc was for the glide across the slide plate to keep the slide plate from scratching/rusting. Didn't think it was for hitch pin or jaws. How wrong am I?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote