Old 07-19-2015, 05:26 PM   #1

grease buddy bearing

I have a Crusader 290RLT and want to know how often and how many pumps of a grease gun to the " Buddy bearing" ( wheel bearing )?

TV: 2015 Ford F-250
RV: 2013 Crusader 290RLT
wlhpas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 06:14 PM   #2

I grease my bearing buddies once at the beginning of the season. I jack up one side enough for both tires to just clear the ground? Remove the rubber caps and scrape out as much old grease as possible from the bearing cover. Then put enough grease in so that it flows from the bearing, while spinning the tire. Spinning the tire distributes the new grease throughout the bearing.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbndr View Post
I grease my bearing buddies once at the beginning of the season. I jack up one side enough for both tires to just clear the ground? Remove the rubber caps and scrape out as much old grease as possible from the bearing cover. Then put enough grease in so that it flows from the bearing, while spinning the tire. Spinning the tire distributes the new grease throughout the bearing.
Thanks for suggestion. Sounds like that will be the best way to go and only once a season.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:20 PM   #4

With the tire that you are greasing up in the air, grab the tire and pull it in and out to make sure the bearings are not loose. You may have to tighten them up at the castle nut. Your axle manual will tell you to remove the hub and and check and hand grease/pack the bearings once a year or any warranty will be voided.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 05:29 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

I do hope you folks are referring to the axles with the zerk in the end and not a true Bearing Buddy which is a definite NO-NO on a hub with brakes.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
With the tire that you are greasing up in the air, grab the tire and pull it in and out to make sure the bearings are not loose. You may have to tighten them up at the castle nut. Your axle manual will tell you to remove the hub and and check and hand grease/pack the bearings once a year or any warranty will be voided.
+1 on the rocking the tires to check for loose bearings, I forgot to add that step to my post. Just a warning on this step though. Only grab the tire on the side. DO NOT put your hand under the tire. If the jack slips while your hand is under the tire....I'll leave your mind to imagine what will happen to your hand.