Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2016, 06:50 PM   #1

Great Trailer and A Great Buying Experience

I just purchased a new 2017 Rockwood 2304KS from the folks at House of Camping and, WOW, I could not be more pleased. I made the drive from Dallas, TX to Chicago and, overall, my inquiry / purchase / pickup experience was more than I could have possibly hoped for.

My experience started with Jennifer and, I must say, my initial telephone contact with her immediately set my mind at ease. We had recently had our new 2016 Rockwood stolen and were in the midst of an insurance settlement when we found the 2017 online. Unlike any of the other dealerships we had reached out to, Jennifer assured me they would hold my trailer indefinitely with a fully refundable deposit. No hassle and no strings attached. Unheard of these days.

When I arrived in Chicago to pick up my new trailer George, Mark and Dave could not have been more helpful. They installed my weight distribution hitch at no additional charge and the walk-through was very relaxed and thorough. Even though we had previously owned nearly the exact same trailer, George took the time to point out all of the subtle nuances for quick and easy setup and maintenance. I was out the door and on my way back to Texas within a couple of hours.

I can't find enough superlatives to adequately express my pleasure with the service I received from the team at House of Camping. I would definitely do business with them again and would highly recommend them to anyone looking to purchase a new travel trailer!

Many thanks to George, Jennifer, Mark and Dave.
rpowell6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 06:53 PM   #2

Glad to hear stories like this. Gives us hope other dealers will follow suite.
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 07:01 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered, congrats on the new trailer and your great experience
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 09:18 PM   #4
Site Team

Yep, HOC is a great family run dealership.
We drove even farther than the OP.
4000 miles round trip to get our HTT from them.
We saved over $4000, even after trip costs.
George was great to deal with and they even installed and setup our Equal-i-zer which we had bought from a different dealer.
Highly recommend them.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 09:49 PM   #5

Welcome to the forum from Chagrin Falls, Ohio. Congrats on your new rig. Thanks for your dealership review. It helps all of us looking for a good dealer.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 01:22 PM   #6

Congrats on getting the trailer you wanted at the best price for you.
My first advice to anyone is to drive as far as it takes to get the trailer
you want at a reasonable price for you. NEVER settle for less of a TT
just because it's "close to home".
Ian Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 01:35 PM   #7

I am curious about what might happen should you need any service at all, where will you go? I know locally and from reading others commenting in this and other RV forums, your local RV dealer, if you have one, and ours is 2 hours away.
Will more often than not, if not flat out refuse to service a purchased 'out of town' RV, motorized or towable, but if they do the owner will be stuck at the lowest tier of service waiting weeks or longer for the 'local' owners getting their rigs serviced first.
I know this to be true because when I took our trailer in for it's most recent visit for the "forever warranty" annual inspection, the first question I was asked was "and did you buy this trailer from us?" And when we were in the office waiting, that question was asked by any "concierge" that answered the phones.
We'd love to be able to shop around but are more concerned about service after the sale, where would we go?
I'm NOT knocking your purchase! I'm just wondering with this new attitude of the RV dealers.
Tdbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 01:53 PM   #8

Dear Tdbrn,
We had a power issue near Tucson, AZ while under warranty.
Asked at the CG and they recommended an RV Mobile Mechanic. So I called them. Asked them if they were authorized to work on FR products. They were. Took them 2 hours to fix the problem & FR picked up the tab. They come to you and if they're waiting on parts you're still camping. Not sitting in a dealers backlot.
Old 10-25-2016, 02:07 PM   #9
Site Team

Tdbrn, FR found us 3 local dealers that would do the warranty work.
Never had a problem getting the warranty work done.
But I knew that I would be at the back of the line.
I just took it in at the beginning of winter.
That way I got free storage.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 02:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdbrn View Post
I am curious about what might happen should you need any service at all, where will you go? I know locally and from reading others commenting in this and other RV forums, your local RV dealer, if you have one, and ours is 2 hours away.
Will more often than not, if not flat out refuse to service a purchased 'out of town' RV, motorized or towable, but if they do the owner will be stuck at the lowest tier of service waiting weeks or longer for the 'local' owners getting their rigs serviced first.
I know this to be true because when I took our trailer in for it's most recent visit for the "forever warranty" annual inspection, the first question I was asked was "and did you buy this trailer from us?" And when we were in the office waiting, that question was asked by any "concierge" that answered the phones.
We'd love to be able to shop around but are more concerned about service after the sale, where would we go?
I'm NOT knocking your purchase! I'm just wondering with this new attitude of the RV dealers.
I want to put my 2 cents worth here because I keep hearing about local dealers not servicing a unit because it was not purchased at their dealership. When I had warranty issues, I contacted the manufacturer, on one occasion is was Damon for my motorhome and on the second occasion, FR, for my Rockwood. Damon authorized me to go to an authorized RV dealer (not Damon) in the area to address my warranty issue and FR called the FR dealer. I don't know what they told this dealer but my fiver was in and out of the dealership is 2 days. This has taught me to buy wherever I get the best price and service. I will not be blackmailed by local dealers.
2015 Ford F150 Eco-Boost
BusyRetirees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 02:49 PM   #11

Hi Marcel & Jenne,
I'm with you! Our dealer is just north of you in Ottawa: Travel-Mor
Trailers. But almost 6 months of the year we're on the road. A local dealer
is only good when we're home. I'm really surprised how few people know
about RV Mechanics or calling FR to recommend a dealer.
Personally I wouldn't buy new again. There's so many good deals out
there. Our second trailer we bought second hand from a consignment
dealer and got coachnet for aftermarket service.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Walker View Post
Hi Marcel & Jenne,
I'm with you! Our dealer is just north of you in Ottawa: Travel-Mor
Trailers. But almost 6 months of the year we're on the road. A local dealer
is only good when we're home. I'm really surprised how few people know
about RV Mechanics or calling FR to recommend a dealer.
Personally I wouldn't buy new again. There's so many good deals out
there. Our second trailer we bought second hand from a consignment
dealer and got coachnet for aftermarket service.
We bought our first 5th wheel from Travel-Mor and really got them down when we produced RV Wholesalers' price. When we wanted to trade in the following year, they initially wanted to take off 25% off what we paid for the original trailer. We found another Rockwood dealer in Ingleside who gave us 99% of the value of our trailer on another one and discounted the other by $9K on top of that. Would not go back to Travel-Mor. They do not know the meaning of repeat business. We are with you, we would not buy new anymore. Let someone else have the headaches of the first year warranty issues and depreciation.
2015 Ford F150 Eco-Boost
BusyRetirees is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer