Old 04-10-2013, 07:03 AM   #11
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer View Post
A little off topic here, but to the OP's first post: solar panels to heat your pool would not be a great investment, nor energy efficient--plus, if your panels aren't hooked back into the grid, you don't get to earn the solar energy credits on what you're generating, which is a big help to offset the original cost of the panels. Better solution for you pool: solar heater. My sister has one on her pool. It's basically a mat of black rubber tubes up on her roof that you pump your pool water through. Water coming back down and out of the return is hot hot hot! And after the initial investment, it's free!
Thanks! That is what I meant, and what many of our neighbors have.

~ Darlene ~

2014 Coachmen Mirada 35BH

previous owner of
2014 Rockwood Mini-Lite 2306
dkb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:13 AM   #12
"On the road again"
Send a message via AIM to rjshiflet
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
We are bad & no way around it our carbon footprint makes bigfoot look small....... The DW & I commute over 100 miles each daily, when I get to work I drive some more..... then we camp..... wasn't like that in the past but all the area jobs went overseas 10s of thousands of them just from this area.....

Our county where we live only recycles newspaper & cardboard.......

A few of the campgrounds where we camp do recycle paper & plastics.....which we do......

We can argue global warming all day so I won't.........................

As far wood I say use it , it provides jobs here & it will grow back (It is a renewable resource)..........

Its not that I do not want to be "green" but it does not work for us...... we do what we can though............
X2 (and don't get me started on those celebrities who PREACH green this and global warming and conservation, then are too good to get on a commercial airliner, but INSIST on having a private jet).

Robert & Estha Shiflet
'12 Columbus 320RS - 2015 Ford F-350 King Ranch & 2010 Ford F-250 King Ranch
Nights Camping 2012 & 2013 & 2014 & 2015: 458 ~ Nights Camping 2016: 95 So Far
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:49 AM   #13
We are very good at being green at home but it is a challange on the road. Try not to use too much paper and recycle cans and we always conserve on water and electricity, i have decided not to stress too much and just do the best we can when on the road. My current struggle is we have decided to not eat meat for a while due to some health concerns and planning veggie meals was quite a struggle on our current 2 wk trip.
Pam & Don
2003 Ford Expedition EB
2011 Rockwood 2304s

108 days camped 2013
74 days camped 2014 so far
iluvlcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:12 AM   #14
My disappointment in most campgrounds is in their general lack of recycling. I have been to some that do have recycling, but many times it's just aluminum cans. Very few do everything and even fewer support the "throw it all together" like our home has. I try to box stuff up and bring it home, but usually get frustrated at the hassle and pitch it.
2013 Sabre 36QBOK pulled by a 2012 Ram 3500 DRW
Blogs: Learn to RV & Personal Fulltiming Adventure
Towing Calculators: Towing Planner
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:58 AM   #15
I recycle a lot at home. Paper, plastic, cans, oil, etc. While camping it is tougher to do. I try to keep all of the plastics and cans for sure but they can take up a lot of space. I just do what I can, when I can.

2002 GMC Sierra C2500 HD 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2013 Sabre Silhouette 291BHTS
Pat, Michele and 2 old dogs, Shug & Sissy
rowdydog77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:41 PM   #16
This thread is rather ironic considering the amount of fossil fuel burned up in RV'ing
SuwanneeDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:58 PM   #17
Originally Posted by rowdydog77 View Post
I recycle a lot at home. Paper, plastic, cans, oil, etc. While camping it is tougher to do. I try to keep all of the plastics and cans for sure but they can take up a lot of space. I just do what I can, when I can.
We also recycle at home. Our city recycling program takes all colors of glass, papers, cardboard, plastic. We put all items in a single bin, no separating required.

On the road we place our plastic bottles and papers in a box and place them in recycling containers at the CG if they are available, but as mentioned here before, not all CG's take recyclable items. One CG we stayed at in Colorado took plastic bottles, but required the screw on caps to be removed
B47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:39 PM   #18
As far as I am concerned, recycling isn't much more than a scam.
Consider the extra fuel and manpower to pick up and sort all of the trash. And then, if there is no demand for certain recyclables, they end up in the land fill.
Sorry, but I don't buy it for a second.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:03 PM   #19
If you compare carbon footprint and resource use of an RV'r versus Hotel/motel traveler :
1 vehicle 10mpg -3 to 5 vehicles for staff at hotel at least
Propane for hot water cooking Ect - natural gas at hotel at 75 to 95 capacity, it's always on even if it's empty
I could go on but if you look at the large overall picture we are a lot greener than hotels and motels and think of the waste at restaurants and hotels clean everyday using water and electricity and Rvers use a lot less per unite

Pawpod is offline   Reply With Quote