Old 04-09-2013, 11:26 AM   #1

Green Camping

I am curious to hear what others have done to make the most of a "green" camping experience. I know we discussed campground trash, and how in general we all seem to "leave nothing behind but footprints". What other measures do you take while camping?

At home, we have our recycling programs, I have my compost bin, water barrel, etc. We make efforts to minimize water and electricity use.... anyone with kids can understand the challenge there.

My husband and I have discussed someday putting in solar panels at home to heat our pool, but that's pretty expensive and down the road. I've even seen campers with solar panels!

While camping, I struggle with using disposable plates vs. non-disposable. I hate the thought of buying paper plates (ya know... killing trees and all that). But the advantage to paper is 1. I can throw them in the fire and 2. I don't have to use water to clean them.

What have you done to keep your camping experience as green as possible?

2014 Coachmen Mirada 35BH

previous owner of
2014 Rockwood Mini-Lite 2306
dkb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:30 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkb74 View Post
I am curious to hear what others have done to make the most of a "green" camping experience. I know we discussed campground trash, and how in general we all seem to "leave nothing behind but footprints". What other measures do you take while camping?

At home, we have our recycling programs, I have my compost bin, water barrel, etc. We make efforts to minimize water and electricity use.... anyone with kids can understand the challenge there.

My husband and I have discussed someday putting in solar panels at home to heat our pool, but that's pretty expensive and down the road. I've even seen campers with solar panels!

While camping, I struggle with using disposable plates vs. non-disposable. I hate the thought of buying paper plates (ya know... killing trees and all that). But the advantage to paper is 1. I can throw them in the fire and 2. I don't have to use water to clean them.

What have you done to keep your camping experience as green as possible?
A lot of campgrounds that we have been to have recycle bins near the trash dumpsters for aluminum and plastic. Every little bit helps.

1st, 2nd, and 3rd INTERNATIONAL F.R.O.G. RALLY Branson. MO.
1st, 2nd, and 4th INTERNATIONAL RALLY Goshen, IN.
BOBFIDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:50 AM   #3

We use Enviro-Logs instead of real wood for our campfires. They are made from the wax-covered paper used for food packaging. This saves trees, keeps all that food packaging material out of landfills and doesn't make your clothes smell like smoke. The purist outdoorsmen will scoff at this, but it works for us.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:11 PM   #4
MI Camperz

Our seasonal CG collects "Cans for Cancer"...raised close to 20k last year.
RE: Paper plates...if you burn em, that's recycling in my opinion....energy is neither created nor lost...a law of physics. I don't buy the plastic or styrofoam ones.
We burn wood primarily from dead already trees. Whenever somebody in our neighborhood cuts down or trims, we usually ask for/purchase the wood to use at our CG.
Bought "green" garbage bags...but must admit they suck. Can poke a hole with a paper napkin. We tried. We do re-use grocery store bags for smaller wastebaskets and I've converted to the re-usables for the most part.
Since we're seasonal, we don't tow....rarely....saving the earth's fossil fuels.
Lynn and Mike
Old 04-09-2013, 01:24 PM   #5

Love the outstanding note...well done
Old 04-09-2013, 01:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodzcampers View Post
RE: Paper plates...if you burn em, that's recycling in my opinion
But the CO2 created would contribute to global warming!
Seriously, when you consider the amount of gasoline or diesel burnt to get to the campground, there is no way to make camping a "green" activity.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
Seriously, when you consider the amount of gasoline or diesel burnt to get to the campground, there is no way to make camping a "green" activity.

We are bad & no way around it our carbon footprint makes bigfoot look small....... The DW & I commute over 100 miles each daily, when I get to work I drive some more..... then we camp..... wasn't like that in the past but all the area jobs went overseas 10s of thousands of them just from this area.....

Our county where we live only recycles newspaper & cardboard.......

A few of the campgrounds where we camp do recycle paper & plastics.....which we do......

We can argue global warming all day so I won't.........................

As far wood I say use it , it provides jobs here & it will grow back (It is a renewable resource)..........

Its not that I do not want to be "green" but it does not work for us...... we do what we can though............

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
Well, consider the energy spent to intake, process, and clean the water used. Or landfill space saved. I actually work in construction, and I've built water treatment plants and landfills. Not a simple process.

We can still do what we can. Even little things can make a difference. Think globally, act locally, right?

And taking our children out into the wild, learning to use what resources we have, will leave a legacy of sustainability.

2014 Coachmen Mirada 35BH

previous owner of
2014 Rockwood Mini-Lite 2306
dkb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:17 AM   #9
MI Camperz

You're right! Small things add up. The important point you're raising is to try to be conscientious of it. Thanks for bringing up this thread to get people thinking of what they can do.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:34 AM   #10

A little off topic here, but to the OP's first post: solar panels to heat your pool would not be a great investment, nor energy efficient--plus, if your panels aren't hooked back into the grid, you don't get to earn the solar energy credits on what you're generating, which is a big help to offset the original cost of the panels. Better solution for you pool: solar heater. My sister has one on her pool. It's basically a mat of black rubber tubes up on her roof that you pump your pool water through. Water coming back down and out of the return is hot hot hot! And after the initial investment, it's free!

2016 Ford Fusion Titanium (gulping gas again, camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote